Profile for sarev_of_aona > Reviews

Content by sarev_of_aona

sarev_of_aona (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tendak 4K x 2K HDMI Switch 4x1 with Optical Toslink Coaxial and L/R Audio Output HDMI Audio Extractor with IR Remote Support 3D ARC MHL CEC Dolby Digital Audio for Mac / PS4 / Roku /Blu-ray Players / HD TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs power cycles to get audio after changing input, 12 Mar. 2017
I have three inputs going into this: a Humax DVR, Sony BluRay player and Chromecast. There's one video out to a projector and the audio SPDIF to my surround. This device has two fundamental flaws:

1. It doesn't auto-detect the input so you have to manually switch
2. Half of the time I switch input, there's no audio out until I power cycle it

To cap it all, there's no power button on the remote so I don't even have the option of building power cycling into the programming of my remote for when I switch inputs - no, it's get up and walk over to the Tendak, pull the power and plug it back in again. Junk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2017 10:25 AM BST

Space Saver Vacuum Storage Bags with  Hand-Pump, Jumbo, 6-Pack
Space Saver Vacuum Storage Bags with Hand-Pump, Jumbo, 6-Pack
Offered by I-Innovate

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov. 2016
Arrived on time and work well.

NETGEAR GS605UK 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
NETGEAR GS605UK 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for as long as it worked, then not so good, 29 Dec. 2010
I have a fairly complex home networking setup, with the GS605 v2 switch connected to a GS608 v2 (8 port switch) which in turn is connected to a WNDR3700 wifi router and four port switch (and more beyond that but I won't bore you with the details). Needless to say, all this kit happens to be Netgear but I haven't always run Netgear kit; I've used combinations of Linksys and even Belkin over the years. As far as unmanaged wired Ethernet 10/100/1000 switches go, the GS605 has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago...

I basically noticed the Ethernet interface on my wired laptop was being saturated and a full disc mirror to a NAS on the same network segment was going to take around four months (!) to complete rather than the more usual 7 hours or so. This provoked all kinds of painful investigations but suffice it to say that the GS605 is clearly faulty. If you're interested, read on. If not, I'd just like to say one more thing: this is the first unmanaged switch I've had which I've had to retire because it's faulty. All of the others were retired for other reasons. Keep that in mind as it's only a couple of years old and it isn't at the cheap end of the spectrum.

Mumbo jumbo follows: the switch is generating a lot of noise over the link which isn't valid traffic - Wireshark doesn't see a single packet even though the link light is solid (both on the switch and my NIC) and the rx/tx LED on the laptop is flashing away like mad. If I simply hook this switch into another switch and don't have anything else connected into it, the other switch has the LED for this one's connection flashing away like mad. So there is a lot of stuff on the wire which is not leaving much room for the valid traffic. It still works, but everything attached to it is painfully slow (Kbps). I wonder what Netgear are like for being sent their failed kit back?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2011 5:05 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great!, 23 Nov. 2010
These things are ideal for putting heavy (gym) equipment onto and protecting the floor underneath. They can be made to fill all sorts of shapes of space and they are super easy to install. We decided to buy another lot after putting the first set in to make a bigger space for our kit and both orders came through in just a couple of days.

Sony BDP-S570B 3D Blu-ray Player
Sony BDP-S570B 3D Blu-ray Player

4.0 out of 5 stars A good BR player, not perfect but very good, 23 Nov. 2010
This is a very competent BR player. The wifi features are welcome - although it's a shame 4oD isn't supported (yet). This product looks good and isn't too bulky. The remote is fine but it's a shame it's not back-lit. I had some issues getting the player to register with Sony's online service initially but it turned out that the activation code it was giving me was invalid until I'd completed a firmware update.

There are some minor quibbles I have:

* Trickplay (ffwd and rwd) in video over the network is very basic - it's almost impossible to skip just a few second backwards, for example.
* Because it supports DLNA (which is a can of worms) it can be hit and miss which file formats on other devices this player will play. At least the manual tells you what it does support.

Four out of five.

PCW92ME 92" HD Projector Screen 16:9 Widescreen Matte White Electric Motorised w/ Remote Control, Maximum Viewable Area: 203x114 cm (79.9"x44.9") for for Schools, Theatre, Home Cinema
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, not amazing but a great first screen, 23 Nov. 2010
I spent lots of my cash on the projector so didn't want to spend two grand more (yes, you really can spend that much) on just a screen. So I thought I'd give this one a go and see how I got on. I could always save up for a more pricey one if I didn't like it.

Installation is not super obvious because the instructions that come with the screen are pants. But, if you're happy doing a spot of DIY, you'll be fine. It really needs a couple of people to hang this because it's long and heavy and you don't want to ding it.

I've had no problems with noisey motors, as some have reported. It's nice and quiet - the remote is handy, too. Quality of the screen itself is fine - it's not perfectly flat which can be a problem if you've got any other light sources in the room other than your projector but with all the lights off, that's not a problem.

I'm sure you can do better than this for more money, but frankly I'd put that "more money" into getting a better projector initially.

NETGEAR DG834GUK DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by megang375

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken firmware makes this product a door stop, 24 Jun. 2009
Beware of some technobabble below. The bottom line is that this will either work with your machine(s) or will drive you up the wall. And you can't configure your way out of trouble.

This product is good right up until the point you need to renew your DHCP lease, or do a DNS lookup for a local machine name. I'm running the latest firmware and it's, quite simply, broken.

After an amount of time of working (around a day), I found that most (except Linux) clients became completely unable to talk to the router or beyond it. No amount of static IP configuration, ifconfig or the like would fix them. You have to reboot the router, sometimes also your machine (in the case of Windows, which is always a bit flakey with wifi).

I was unable to ping machines by name from other machines, irrespective of their OS. I reckon that the NetGear was cacheing information at the ARP level and just gets into a state where it says "you're not talking to anyone now".

Linux machines seemed to be able to continue working in the sense that they never stopped being able to talk to servers, local or remote. Nothing I tried was able to resolve local host names to their IP address - I think that part of the DHCP protocol implementation in the NetGear is broken, or maybe just its DNS service.

Given the age of these protocols, I'm quite frankly amazed someone could release a product which gets them so wrong. If I could be bothered, I'd get Wireshark out and send some bug reports to NetGear, but then why did I pay them?

WOOD BATHROOM WALNUT DUCKBOARD DUCK BOARD
WOOD BATHROOM WALNUT DUCKBOARD DUCK BOARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you'd want from some duckboard, 22 Dec. 2008
Does the job. The wood is smooth with no splinters. Unlike some other similar products, this one doesn't have a dodgy design which might cause it to snap on uneven surfaces. Not sure how it'd fair on a smooth tiled floor - might slip a bit.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 Dec. 2008
This is a nice little tent. It's a lot lighter than many of the alternatives and simple to erect, especially if you're used to Khyam. There are various handy features which you'll appreciate when you have them.

Only down-side is that the door has a habit of working itself open in windy weather (e.g. when left over night). This can lead to more wind getting in and risks damaging the tent. A bit of velcro over the bottom of the zip or a tab to run a peg through would've helped with that.

Ring Automotive RS1 Portable Shower, 12 V
Ring Automotive RS1 Portable Shower, 12 V

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, simple and cheap, 22 Dec. 2008
This shower is simple and does what you'd expect. Not a great deal of power but that's also what you'd expect for something running off D cells. It is more than enough to get shampoo out of your hair. The batteries seem to last well enough, too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2010 12:53 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2