Profile for Torialouise > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Nightingale: Bravery, Courage, Fear and Love in a Time of War
The Nightingale: Bravery, Courage, Fear and Love in a Time of War

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read, 31 Aug. 2017
What an amazing story. To read how the war affected French women as it was occupied - the unimaginable hardships they endured and the amazing heroic acts they did everyday.

The Nightingale is story I will remember for along time.

The Great Christmas Knit Off
The Great Christmas Knit Off

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 11 Feb. 2016
A great Christmas read! Inspired me to knit more!

The Silkworm: Cormoran Strike Book 2
The Silkworm: Cormoran Strike Book 2

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't enjoy this as much as the first - still love ..., 8 Feb. 2016
Didn't enjoy this as much as the first - still love the main characters and will be reading the next one, but didn't have quite the suspense of the last book.

Tremarnock: The Lives, Loves and Secrets of a Cornish Village (Tremarnock Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 10 Nov. 2015
Great book - very gentle, good characters - looking forward to the next instalment.

[Apple MFI Certified] 1Byone Lightning to USB Cable 3.28ft (1M) for iPhone 7/7Plus, iPhone 6/6s, 6/6s Plus, iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro,iPod nano 7th Gen and iPod touch 5th Generation for iPhone Charger Cable-1-Year Limited Warranty

Gray Mountain
Gray Mountain
by John Grisham

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 18 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Gray Mountain (Paperback)
I got to the end of this book and thought it must be the start of series. It spends the book building up a number of trials associated with the Coal Mining industry, only for none of them to go anywhere. I felt like the book would have been better if he had focused on just one, and taken us through the journey of the trial and the outcome. As it was, it felt bitty and none of the characters had time to develop. Even if there was a series, I'm not sure the main character, Samantha Kofer is one I liked enough to follow on. Samantha ends up in small Appalachia after her New York firm lays her off and she takes an unpaid sabbatical working for Mattie who runs a legal aid firm. Mattie was perhaps the one character I did like in the book. Overall very disappointed - not one I would recommend.

Still Alice
Still Alice

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking., 18 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Still Alice (Kindle Edition)
I'd heard a lot about this book with the publicity for the film. I always like to read a book before I see a film so i can establish my own view and thoughts on the characters. This was a very powerful book. It takes you through Alice's journey and the journey of those around her as her Alzheimer's progresses. Alice is a Harvard professor with 3 grown up children and as she starts to notice memory issues she visits her neurologist who confirms a diagnosis of Early onset Alzheimer's. What the book shows is what a frightening disease this is and how little can be done to stop the onset. Because the main characters are based in a world of academia, there are a couple of chapters that focus on the research trials and the more neurological aspects of the disease and almost interrupt the flow of the characters somewhat. Also, I thought I had much more of the story to go as my kindle was only 87% of the way through, but the last part of the book is taken up with writers notes, discussion and next books. Some good bits in these - but it did make me feel like my journey with Alice had ended a little sooner than I thought it would. But these are small niggles, it is a book that i will remember and has made me much more aware of Alzheimer's.

Summer Daydreams
Summer Daydreams
by Carole Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great beach read., 14 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Summer Daydreams (Paperback)
I'm a little late to the Carole Matthews party! I think this is the second or third book I have read so lots more still to come which I am looking forward too!!

The book is about Nell McNamara who lives with her boyfriend Olly and little girl Petal. She works in the local fish and chip shop but starts to design her own handbags. The story follows her as her dreams of becoming a bag designer start to come true.

This is a really easy read and perfect for holidays or a lazy Sunday. I liked the character of Nell and I was drawn in to her life and story. There are some twists and turns along the way, but nothing too unexpected and the story moves at a good pace. Well worth a read.

Stuffocation: Living More with Less
Stuffocation: Living More with Less
by James Wallman

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking., 14 Aug. 2015
This has been on my list for ages. I finally read it on holiday this year. Really thought provoking - it looks at how we have got to a point of having too much stuff and looks at alternatives to solve the problem. Loved the chapter on unexpected consequences. It's not a quick fix book to solving the problem of a house full of clutter, but it will start to make you think before you buy again and start to ask yourself some questions about alternative lifestyles.

The Dandelion Years
The Dandelion Years

4.0 out of 5 stars A great summer read, 19 July 2015
Another great Erica James book. Loved how the 2 stories weaved together. Great holiday read

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9