Profile for Daniel O'DONOGHUE > Reviews

Content by Daniel O'DONOGHUE

Daniel O'DONOGHUE (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
NETGEAR DGND3300-100UKS RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Gateway
NETGEAR DGND3300-100UKS RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N DSL Gateway
Offered by NETWORK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival, 11 Jun. 2010
This looked like a good router upgrade for me - but I couldn't get it to work. The set up wizard wouldn't recognise that the router was attached, nor would it detect the DSL connection. I eventually managed to connect to the router's home page, which advised that the firmware needed to be updated. Having eventually found up-to-date firmware on the Netgear website, the router wouldn't upload it. So after struggling for a couple of hours, I phoned Netgear support (better than average - at least I didn't have to wait for ages to get through to a real person), and they advised that the unit is faulty and should be returned. All in all, a frustrating experience, and it says a lot about Netgear's quality control. I'm going for a different manufacturer instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2010 11:37 AM BST

Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture and sound but why not fully Wi-Fi ready?, 12 April 2010
I bought this TV a few days ago and so far have been very pleased with it. The stand was easy to assemble and the TV itself very easy to set up - just follow the on-screen commands, and it is ready within 5 minutes or so. The Freeview HD signal, which is available in my area, tuned in perfectly - and the picture is noticeably better than the standard freeview signal. Shame there aren't a few more freeview HD channels yet but, of course, that isn't Sony's problem.

Overall the picture quality is excellent, with vibrant colours (a bit too much with the standard settings?), good contrast and dark blacks, and the sound very clear for built-in speakers. Controls and menus all fairly intuitive - so no need to look at the manual (which is built-in to the set and accessed via menus).

Connectivity is good: including 4 x HDMIs, 2 SCART, + Ethernet and 1 USB. The one niggle is the lack of an included wi-fi antenna to access Internet content. This requires purchase of a separate Sony Wi Fi dongle (which I haven't done yet) if you don't want to run an ethernet cable from your router. This sort of corner-cutting irritates me - if Sony can, for example, include full wi-fi accessibility in a PSP, why do they have to make this an optional extra in a television costing much more?

Update

I have now fitted the wi fi dongle to the TV. Initially, the internet functionality didn't work very well - the picture would freeze, or a message would pop up saying that the network was down (it wasn't). I figured my old wi fi router might be the problem - so I upgraded this to a good quality "N" router. This did the trick, and the TV streams video from the internet superbly. Using BBC i-player the picture is just as smooth as watching a normal TV programme. No problem streaming HD video either. Of course, as a result of using i-player, I received a message from my ISP saying I was exceeding my download limit - so I've had to upgrade my broadband package, but I can't blame Sony for that!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 6:56 PM GMT

York C202 Cycle
York C202 Cycle

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: York C202 Cycle (Sports)
Just purchased this bike, received next day - the usual excellent service from Amazon.

Assembly was fairly straightforward - one or two mildly fiddly bits - but nothing to cause any real difficulty, given the excellent assembly instructions.

It does seem very sturdy, and able to cope with my weight (shamefully close to the maximum user weight at the moment). It is very smooth and silent in operation, and with the range of seat and handlebar adjustments, it should be possible for most adults to find a comfortable cycling position.

The heart rate monitor, exercise programs and other features all seem to work fine. So, all in all, seems to be a very good piece of exercise equipment.

Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
Offered by electronicstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens - superb sharp results, 11 Aug. 2009
I have owned this lens for over a year now, and have used it in a wide variety of different situations: sports photography, wildlife, candid photographs of people, etc. Paired with my D80, results have generally been superb - very sharp, even at 300mm, and with the aperture wide open. The quality of the images, both in terms of sharpness and contrast, is notably better than those from the 18-135mm kit lens which came with the camera. The VR works a treat - I hand-held some shots of a christening service in a church (albeit at the bottom end of the focal length range) at 1/8 second, and the results were fine. The only occasional minor problem I have noticed is the lens hunting for the correct focus - but usually this sorts itself out fairly quickly. Overall, I have been very happy, and if you can afford it I recommend spending the extra money on this Nikon lens, rather than on one of the lower-cost alternatives.

Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop, 21 May 2009
I've owned the Samsung NC10 for a few weeks now, and have found it to be an excellent little laptop. Very easy to set up and connect to the internet via WiFi. It has a great display, and the XP operating system is familiar. No problem installing and running the full MS Office suite. I work overseas a lot, and the light weight has been a real bonus - I no longer need to drag along my full-size (and much heavier) laptop, since the NC10 gives me all the functionality I need. Battery life is also good - realistically around 5 hours. Overall - highly recommended and great value.

TomTom GO 700 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping & Bluetooth
TomTom GO 700 In Car GPS Satellite Navigation With European Mapping & Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous bit of kit, 3 Nov. 2005
I have only had the Tom Tom 700 for a week, but I have already fallen in love with it! It worked straight out of the box, picking up the GPS signal and fixing my location within 60 seconds on first use, and almost immediately on subsequent use. It is easy to fit into the car, and the user interface is very intuitive - so there is hardly any need to read the manual: great for blokes!
On the move, navigation instructions are very clear - you are given plenty of advance warning about turns and then reminded again when you reach the point to make a manouevre. It would be very difficult to go wrong, but if you do, or if you choose to ignore the directions, the unit very quickly recalculates the route. As well as the voice instructions the 3D map and route display on the screen is also excellent.
Other excellent features include the bluetooth phone integration - the sound quality from the speaker is very good, and people at the other end report no sound problems, so most people shouldn't need the (optional) external microphone. The system integrated well with my phone, enabling me to download my address book, and dial people with a couple of clicks on the Tom Tom screen.
Re-chargeable internal battery is useful - it will go for at least three or four hours on a full charge, avoiding the need to use the 12v charger cable in the car for most journeys.
Postcode searching is also very precise, and quicker than entering an address.
Quibbles: none really. OK, the supplied places of interest are fairly basic, but the 2.5GB hard disk means there is plenty of scope for expanding the data set in future - I am sure enhanced data sets will become available, supplied by Tom Tom or others. For example, it is already possible to download and install for free a full set of speed camera data for the UK. (Tom Tom themselves charge for this).
Overall, a great bit of kit!

Page: 1 | 2