Profile for M. Evans > Reviews

Content by M. Evans

M. Evans "mariaevans2" (uk)

Fall of Giants - OLD EDITION (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants - OLD EDITION (The Century Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sprawling and enthralling, 18 Oct. 2010
This is one huge book - both in length of pages and the vastness of the storyline. This is the Ken I like the best, well researched historical novels that capture your interest from the start. I quickly became embroiled in the lives of the families in this book. Being Welsh myself I related to Aberowen as a mining village and the trials and tribulations of a valley community. Ken has obviously researched thoroughly here because he even had the local dialect right and the god fearing ways of the Welsh Baptists! This book is huge though so does take a while to read and it gets very heavy in your hands when you are trying to read it in bed! My son and daughter in law recently bought me a Kindle for my birthday - wish I had read it on that!

Two-faced
Two-faced
by Mandasue Heller

3.0 out of 5 stars NO MASTERPIECE - SAME OLD, SAME OLD., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Two-faced (Paperback)
You always know what you are going to get with Mandasue, a non complicated, straightforward story that you can pick up and put down. This book was no exception. Although the same old stuff it is enjoyable now and again just to lose yourself in a solid, easy to read book that doesn't tax the brain. Although I have to admit I did feel angry at times with the pliability/lack of grit of the main character. Perfect to pack in your suitcase for an easy holiday read!

Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It Wire Cupcake Tree for 36 Cakes
Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It Wire Cupcake Tree for 36 Cakes

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB LITTLE CAKE STAND, 4 Jan. 2010
What a cracking cake stand! I ordered it for Christmas and my guests loved it. Ok maybe I shouldn't have tried to bake and decorate 33 different cup cakes to fill it on Boxing morning (with a hangover to boot) but it was well worth the effort when our family came around for our annual Boxing Day buffet as it stole the show! Fantastic buy!

Neil Young-Under Review 76-06 [DVD] [2007]
Neil Young-Under Review 76-06 [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Neil Young
Offered by Positive srl

5.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young - Under review, 4 Jan. 2010
I bought this for my husband for Christmas as it was recommended to me by Amazon as I have bought Neil Young items in the past. My husband was delighted with it! Although not authorised by Neil Young if he watched it I think he would be happy with the critical analysis of some of his greatest songs. Experts in the music field give their opinion on his work - and my husband who is a staunch Neil Young fan, even through some of his less acclaimed albums, agreed with most of the comments made. A really enjoyable watch!

Have You Seen Her?
Have You Seen Her?
by Karen Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT - SHE NEVER DISAPPOINTS HER READER, 1 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Have You Seen Her? (Paperback)
Once again a brilliant book by Karen Rose. Her gift for writing thriller/romance books is true writing talent. Such a contrast between her description of murder and violence and her build up of the sizzling romance bubbling between the two main people in the book.

I didn't want this book to end, it is so easy to lose yourself in one of her novels and the time flies by - even a wet and soggy Welsh August Bank Holiday weekend!

Sundays at Tiffany's
Sundays at Tiffany's
by James Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars HE CAN TURN HIS HAND TO ANYTHING, 10 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Sundays at Tiffany's (Hardcover)
No this isn't his usual but what an author that he can change styles so completely! This is a great 'feel good' book, something ideal to curl up on the couch with on a wet and windy weekend. You care about the people in the book and get a warm feeling when things work out in the end! I am glad he doesn't write like this all the time because his thrillers are brilliant but it is great to see him diversify.

Scream for Me
Scream for Me
by Karen Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER FIRST CLASS THRILLER, 10 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Scream for Me (Hardcover)
Brilliant sequel which builds successfully on Karen's previous book. What I love about Karen's writing is that you actually care about the people in her books. Her plots are complex but believable and her decriptive style makes you feel as if you are present at the same time as her characters - which gives you goosebumps when reading the detailed descriptions of the crime scenes! The only complaint I have about this book is that I read it too quickly. One of the best books I have read for a long time.

Faces
Faces
by Martina Cole

1.0 out of 5 stars Money for old rope, 24 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Faces (Hardcover)
What an awful disappointment and a let down to her fans! I have read all of Martina's previous books and had been looking forward to reading this book for weeks. From the second chapter on I started to get more and more frustrated with the repetition, meaningless dialogue and feeble 'plot'. Every third or fourth sentence was a repeat of a previous one (with only the wording being rearranged) and made Martina appear as if she just couldn't be bothered with trying to come up with something different. The lack of substance to the book was insulting to the reader - it just seems to be money for old rope to me. Nothing like earlier books such as Ladykiller, Broken and Dangerous Lady which gripped the reader and made you feel you actually cared for the characters in the book. Pull your socks up Martina with Authors like Mark Billingham, Mo Hayder and the like you'll have to do better than this!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2014 3:03 PM BST

Maura's Game
Maura's Game
by Martina Cole

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Gripping Read, 8 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Maura's Game (Paperback)
I've read all Martina Coles books now and have not been disappointed with any of them. In this book Maura returns from retirement and once again exerts her power over the criminal underworld. This book keeps you engrossed and has a few twists and turns on the way. As it is a long time since I read Dangerous Lady I did have some difficulty in remembering which character is which - It would have been useful to have quickly scanned through Dangerous Lady first. All in all a cracking read.