Profile for Tim > Reviews

Hemoglobin [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Ferrabee
Offered by FREETIME

1.0 out of 5 stars Hemoglobin, 12 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Hemoglobin [DVD] (DVD)
I did not find this entertaining at all. I wanted a bit of campy schlock, bought a film that is based on a Lovecraft story, says it's about incest, monsters under the ground, and cannibalism, and it felt like an incredibly dull period drama.

It clearly has a solid following and maybe I was just in the wrong mood for it but I don't think it was for me.

Metamorphosis [DVD] [1993] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Metamorphosis [DVD] [1993] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Metamorphosis, 12 Dec. 2015
Not a bad low-budget monster film. No memorable performances, music not a classic score, monsters are absolutely 5 star. If this were one of those films that restricts it's monsters' screen-time it would be worthless, but you're treated to loads of wonderful creations, as well as gore by the bucket load.

My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD]
My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Campbell
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars My Name Is Bruce, 26 April 2013
I'm a fan of Bruce Campbell. I own the Evil Dead series, Moontrap and Bubba Ho Tep and have seen him in many other films, including the X-Files episode he did. I was always interested in everything he did, until I saw 'My Name Is Bruce'.

Personally I think it's a really bad film. I know it's a film strictly for fans of his, but I just didn't find it funny or entertaining. It might be alright after a few beers, but if in-jokes, crap music, script and plot and an icon are for you watch it sober.

Usually that's my type of film, I just think it was really badly done.

Mosquito [DVD] [1994] [US Import] [NTSC]
Mosquito [DVD] [1994] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Mosquito, 23 May 2012
Gary Jones' 1994 film 'Mosquito' is a splendid concoction of great effects, terrible effects, a standard music score, sex, gore and bad acting that REALLY takes off at about the fifty minute mark in a non-stop explosion of high speed driving, powerful gun firing and BIG, blood sucking insects tearing into a camper-van and being shot at and chopped up. There are more screams, bodies, flying bullets, wonderfully animated monsters and raging fires than you can shake a stick at in this ninety one minute film. Spaceships, an Alien arm, swarms of human-sized Mosquitoes, radiation, plot-holes, pretty bad acting and suspense make this one adrenaline rush of a film!

I spent twelve years wanting to see this film. It sort of sounds pathetic, but I was eight when I found out about it. I had this idea built up in my head of what it was going to be like. Usually my ideas are let down by the reality of general film making, but not. this. time. It starts off with a spaceship! And an Alien! And then straight away there're giant Mosquitoes flying about sucking people dry. Rachel Loiselle is the sexy leading lady who's worth watching the whole way through. Tim Lovelace is her boyfriend, who is most effective in the second half of the film when, out of nowhere, his presence on the screen elevates tenfold. Ron Asheton is great as Hendricks (well, I say great, he's not really an actor in my opinion BUT he puts the role across well) too, and Steve Dixon, probably the biggest plank in the film, is watchable and trustworthy as a good guy.

The effects are the BIGGEST treat. I've never seen effects that fluctuate so constantly between being brilliant and being piss-poor. The swarms are done rather badly, the individual Mosquitoes are great. Wait for the fishing scene! That's near the beginning. But I tell you, nothing prepared me for the destructive scenes later on in the film. They're action packed thrill rides that do actually keep one on the edge of one's seat for the duration. The scene in the motor-home is breath-taking, and the final showdown later is heart-pounding, and most of what lies in between is just sphincter-tensing! Sorry to be crude.

But the acting is bad, it takes about forty minutes to really get going, there are a LOT of plot-holes, the mix of humour and horror doesn't always work in the film's favour and the music is often more of a detraction than anything else.

But you need to make your own mind up, so watch MOSQUITO and do just that.

The Deadly Spawn [DVD] [1983]
The Deadly Spawn [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Michael Robert Coleman
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars 'THE DEADLY SPAWN', 4 April 2012
'THE DEADLY SPAWN'- a review by Tim Curtis
by Tim Curtis on Tuesday, 3 April 2012 at 23:25 ∑

It's always nice to come across an old B-movie at the bottom of the stagnant water wherein this type of film exists that is almost unbelievably good. Well, when I say "unbelievably good" I mean the special effects. The concoction of terrible acting and terrible, bargain bucket effects is used far too often in low-budget monster films. I believe, and this film confirms my belief, that where there's a will, there's a way. Budgets are limiting, but I don't think they're restricting. The film I am reviewing is 1983's 'THE DEADLY SPAWN'. It was made on a shoestring budget, but you can only tell when the 'talking scenes' are rolling. It's an explosion of colourful and gory special effects, in my opinion, and at times the phallic, toothy creatures are so realistic David Attenborough could be delivering an impeccable narrative over the top; in-particular the scene in the basement when the extent of the creatures is revealed. Sometimes they appear obviously puppet-like, but you don't give a damn! And if you do you should try watching Roger Corman's 'Creature From Haunted Sea', then you'll see what crap special effects are.

The film doesn't actually have a plot. What happens is a meteorite comes crashing down and this couple of youngsters who are camping go and investigate. For an opening scene that isn't original it's bloody entertaining! I'm not sure why but the film's never cliched or embarrassing. Anyway after the opening credits the 'thing' gets into the basement of the home of our main characters and the film stays in this one place. For a while it's just one person after another walking down into the basement to get done by the 'creature'. Watch when the lady goes down there shortly after her husband: one part in-particular was referenced rather obviously in a certain Steven Spielberg adaptation of the best-selling novel by Michael Crighton, 'JURASSIC PARK'

'THE DEADLY SPAWN' really gets going pretty quickly. The worst part of the film, in my opinion, is the long scene where the kid just stands down in the basement surrounded by all the large tadpole creatures and the main three-headed brute. He just stands down there for ages. Now, I guess it could be because he's paralyzed with fear; maybe he's in disbelief because he said earlier in the film something like 'I'm so interested in monsters in film because they're not real' and here he is confronted with the real thing; but whatever the reason, it's silly and, for a little while at least, it ruins the film. At least the effects are moving well throughout the scene!

Basically the invasion of the aliens escalates towards the conclusion, which I won't give away

The scenes involving the human characters interacting with one another are pretty poorly executed. Sometimes the camera won't move for the duration of a conversation. That doesn't matter to me. I fell in love with the film when the meteorite crashed down to the ground.

Now, I don't think it's fair to mention Ridley Scott's 'ALIEN', but it must be done. 'THE DEADLY SPAWN' is also known as 'RETURN OF THE ALIENS: THE DEADLY SPAWN'. There can surely be but one reason for this: the makers of the film were cashing in on the success of 'ALIEN', in the same way the 1980 Italian Sam Cromwell film 'ALIEN2' did. Every film after the release of 'ALIEN' which contains Aliens is compared to the 1979 classic because it's the benchmark and has been imitated countless times. 'THE DEADLY SPAWN' isn't really a ripoff at all. Yes the Aliens look quite a lot like bloodied-up chest-bursters, but they've got their own charm and originality, and life.

This is a seriously valuable horror gem. Finding it was a bit like finding a diamond in a 'glass only' recycling bin. There aren't many films so generous, fun and refreshing, so watch, watch and watch again! Superb special effects by John Dods were hindered not, as I started saying earlier, by the shoestring budget and it's an all-round good film.