Profile for geek in heels > Reviews

Content by geek in heels

geek in heels (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Ecozone Ecoballs 240 wash balls - Replaces Laundry detergents - new easy to refill softer design

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and make sure you follow the instructions, 17 Sept. 2010
I've been using these eco balls for a month now (2-3 loads per week) and no complaints. Must admit I was a bit skeptical at first after reading some negative reviews saying it doesn't clean well and that clothes come out smelling afterwards.

I would recommend purchase the 150 wash at first you aren't sure.

In terms of the smell problem, I think those who complains must have a very dirty washing machine. If you close your washing machine when it's still damp and let it grow moldy inside, of course it would smell, unless the synthetic perfume covers it up. The instruction given does say that you need to make sure the machine is cleaned regularly. It advises on how to regularly clean with white vinegar, particularly if you live in an area with hard water. I recently did a deep clean and I find no smelling problem at all.

Hope that helps.

A Short Introduction to Counselling Psychology (Short Introductions to the Therapy Professions)
by Vanja Orlans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for anyone interested in counselling psychology, 23 Jun. 2010
I'm a 3rd year psychology student trying to figure out my career goals, i.e. which route of psychology should I take, and counselling psychology seems the most suitable. I read this book in search for better understanding on the history and current issues of counselling psychology, and this book was a great help. It seems that counselling psychology is a fairly new division in psychology so there isn't enough awareness and recognition. There is also often the confusion between counselling, psychotherapy and counselling psychology. There are also different schools which further divides counselling. This book deepened my understanding of the history and origin of counselling as well as answering many of my questions from above. I've looked around a fair bit but I think this is probably the best introduction to counselling psychology I've come across. The fact that one of the author is currently leading the counselling psychology programme at one of the leading institute Metanoia also gives further comfort that it's written by someone from the inside (though on the flip side author can be biased too.... I am critical thinking :)

I also really appreciated the fact that the book covers the realities of counselling psychology internationally. For someone who's interested in practicing outside of UK, it's really valuable information.

The only thing I would say is probably that I wish there is a more expanded version of it. For example, there is only a page explaining each of the counselling approaches. But then again it aims to give a short introduction and it does exactly that. There are plenty of resources in the back as well if you do want to research further.

Overall, highly recommended for anyone interested in finding out more about career in counselling psychology

On Death and Dying
On Death and Dying
by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for bereavement counsellors and alike, 23 Jun. 2010
This review is from: On Death and Dying (Paperback)
I recently trained to become a bereavement support volunteer with the charity Cruse, and I read this book during my training. I found it really good read and deepened my understanding about attitudes towards death, and all the complications around it.

Highly recommended to anyone doing bereavement work.

The Penguin History of Modern China: The Fall and Rise of a Great Power, 1850 - 2009
by Jonathan Fenby

4.0 out of 5 stars good introduction to modern chinese history, 23 Jun. 2010
As a Chinese born in the 80s Beijing and lived under the state propaganda until 16, I have only recently realized that I probably have a skewed view of China from the indoctrination in my childhood. Thus I was quite eager to find out the 'truth', so to speak. As my American friends have pointed out, all historians have agendas, so I'm sure this one has some agenda too, but overall I thought it was pretty factual and at least tried not to be too biased or giving too much opinion. Definitely more balanced than most American newspaper articles about China I've encountered over the years.

I cannot comment on the historical accuracy or style since I'm no expert in either, but I did feel that most of the time it is a good read, and it gave me a pretty good overall of modern China, though not much in-depth. I would have appreciated a bit more details in the period post-1989 and 2009, since it's the era I grew up in and China experienced a great deal of social changes during this period of time.

Overall I recommend it to anyone interested in China and I'd particularly recommend fellow Chinese people to read it, though I doubt many would be open to accept some of the facts that are different from the Chinese government's official line...

The Cult of the Luxury Brand: Inside Asia's Love Affair with Luxury
The Cult of the Luxury Brand: Inside Asia's Love Affair with Luxury
by Paul Husband

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed reading this book, 14 Nov. 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, which provides some insight about the curious luxury goods phenomona in Asia. The only thing negative is that it seems to make some generalisations about each country. The fact is that each country also has intricate dynamics within itself, and people from different social-economic backgrounds may have very different approaches. This book doesn't seem to quite address that.

Also another problem is that the hypotheses in this book are likely to become old quickly, because the societies in Asia are fast-changing. Particularly in big cities people move through the psychological processes that take some western countries decades to develop.

Nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable read on a very interesting subject that has not been researched into enough.

Burlesque and the Art of the Teese/ Fetish and the Art of the Teese
Burlesque and the Art of the Teese/ Fetish and the Art of the Teese
by Dita Von Teese

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 14 Nov. 2009
Simply beautiful. I'm a girl and I love looking at Dita's pictures. She is just stunning - she's got a real womanly body. Much nicer than the stick-thin model types you see all over fashion mags.

The Ph.D. Process: A Student's Guide to Graduate School in the Sciences
The Ph.D. Process: A Student's Guide to Graduate School in the Sciences
by Dale F. Bloom

2.0 out of 5 stars Is US-based advice suitable for the UK?, 14 Nov. 2009
I bought this book based on the rave reviews, but as soon as I start reading it, I realize that it's very much based on the Ph.D process in the US. I'm not familiar with the UK Ph.D process (which is why I wanted to read a book about it), so I don't know how similar and disimilar they are, and so I'm not sure how useful the advice is. But from the little I know I think the US and UK systems are quite different.

I feel that it was a bit misleading to sell it to UK customers, because in no obvious place it mentions that it is a book describing the Ph.D process in the US.

The Practice of Market Research: An Introduction
The Practice of Market Research: An Introduction
by Yvonne McGivern

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have if you are studying for the MRS advanced certificate, 14 Nov. 2009
I didn't buy it at first because I thought I already paid almost £1000 for the BPP e-tutor course for the MRS advance certificate, and so the material provided by BPP should be enough. However I couldn't be more glad that I got this book, and wish I had gotten it earlier. The BPP material, while concise and clearly outlined, lack details and more context, which is a problem for someone like me, who doesn't already have market research experience, and wishes to switch into a market research career through obtaining this certificate.

This book is written in a way that is very easy to read, and the case studies are very interesting. They illustrate how market research is used in the real world, which really helps deepening the understanding than the rather dry material provided by BPP. This is not to say that the BPP course is not useful because the tutor is very helpful, particularly good at providing immediate feedbacks on the IA and she answered any questions I have promptly. However I think this book is a must-have to study for the certificate if you are going with the BPP distance learning route.

Moleskine Weekly Planner 2010 12 Month Pocket Black (Moleskine Srl)
Moleskine Weekly Planner 2010 12 Month Pocket Black (Moleskine Srl)
by Moleskine
Edition: Journal

3.0 out of 5 stars Design is good but quality isn't always, 22 Oct. 2009
I have had several Moleskine notebooks before and I love their classy design. However the most recent Weekly Planner I got after a few weeks has some pages fallen out. The threads that bind the pages together broke. I contacted them and they were apologetic and said that they would send me a new one, but it never arrived. So now I have to say that I still love the design, but I don't have full confidence in their quality, which is kind of why they charge so much for a small notebook. I'm a sucker for design though so I'll probably still buy them in the future, but you have been warned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2009 12:43 PM GMT

Snowjoggers Womens Classic Nylon
Snowjoggers Womens Classic Nylon

5.0 out of 5 stars The only shoes you'll need all winter, 19 Jan. 2009
PROS:

The snowjoggers are the best winter shoes I have ever owned. If you are like me who is always cold in the winter, and who has cold toes when wearing conventional leather boots and thick socks, you must buy these shoes because they will change your life. Since I had these shoes, my feet are toasty warm even in the coldest time of the winter. I'm no longer afraid of taking a walk outside because of the cold. I don't need to stress the benefits of walking outside, particularly in winter, when people tend to get sedate, but the health benefit really is significant. Not only the exercise, the fresh air and the sun is good for your physical health, but also really good for your mental health. I find my mind refreshed after a walk, and the sun in winter makes the gloomy season a bit more bearable.

Not only it is extremely comfortable and warm, it is also very stylish. I have the classic black ones, which I wear with a pair of thick winter leggings. It's a very sporty look. I love how the leggings allow me to show off my toned legs in the winter, and the snow joggers goes perfectly with the leggins.

CONS:

I haven't really found any problems with these shoes yet, but I haven't had them for very long. I will update my review if any problems with durability comes up.

I see that there are lots of different colors. I don't own any color other than black, but I can imagine having a light colored pair is nice at first, but they probably get dirty and ugly quite quickly. I am tempted buy a silver or white pair (the good thing is that they are cheaper). If I do, I'll also update my review on my thoughts on that.

Lastly, I actually bought the shoes in a store, in Camden, London. I wanted to try them on first, and I would probably suggest you doing the same for your first pair. I wouldn't hesitate to buy my next pair (maybe in different color) online though.

SIZE:

Lots of people suggested buying a size larger. Again, I think you must try them on to decide what fits best for you. I personally went for my usual size (size 4) and it's perfectly fine even with thick socks. Admittedly I am a small size 4 and can occasionally fit into a size 3. But I must warn you that if you got for too large, your feet with slip inside the shoe, and walking might be significantly more effort due to the slipping (a bit like walking in sand). In terms of worries about not having enough space for thick socks - honestly, these shoes are so warm you won't need really thick socks. I wear a regular pair of cotton socks and my feet are more than toasty warm, and like I said earlier, my toes are usually freezing with other shoes.

OVERVIEW:

Hands down, the best winter shoes that ever existed. Extremely warm, comfortable, cheaper than Ugg boots, more stylish than Ugg boots, more suitable for wet conditions than Ugg boots. Once you have a pair, you won't ever need other winter shoes (whether you want other winter shoes is a whole different stories ;-)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2009 5:16 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5