Profile for Spencer > Reviews

Content by Spencer

Spencer (Cardiff, Wales)

Philips SHL5905BK/10 CitiScape Uptown Style Headband Headphone with Universal Mic

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 4 July 2014
Pros: Very comfortable, stylish, reasonably good build quality.

Cons: Many.

I'm surprised to see so many good reviews for these. I needed a replacement for my HD449s but was on a budget. These seemed to fit the bill, especially in musical terms with large drivers (40mm) and a good frequency range (12-23.5). The reality from my point of view is terrible. I like to be able to hear the detail in music, but also like the bass to be sufficient to play rock and electronic music with a bit of oomph. These headphones are unfortunately VERY treble heavy and 'bright', with the bass utterly lacking. That might suit some people, but I think all music needs to have at least some level of bass to give it depth. These just don't offer that. I also found the sound to be quite tinny and metallic sounding. It's not that detail wasn't there (though nowhere near as good as the HD449s), but the sound is just oddly one dimensional and distant. There is also a volume issue. Even with volume up high on the Mac and within iTunes, and the in line volume slider up to the Max, these phones are moderately loud at best, and seem incapable of being genuinely loud. I've since tried another pair of these in John Lewis to see if I had a dud pair, I was left with much the same impression. You can do far, far better than these for the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 11:11 AM BST

HTC Desire S Sim Free Mobile Phone
HTC Desire S Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Prepaymania

3.0 out of 5 stars 14 faultless months, then it all went wrong..., 18 July 2012
Looks great, feels great in the hand, good quality audio with decent headphones (though not up to the standard of the iPhone), and the apps available for it in the Android Market/Google Play Store are really starting to catch up with those available for iTunes. The widgets function beautifully too and make a great centrepiece on the home page. I genuinely love the phone, but just this week (after 14 months of trouble free use) it's started to play up badly. I got back from Morocco and the phone rebooted, connected to the network, rebooted, connected to the network...so on and so on. The only way I could stop it was to go into settings immediately after it rebooted and put it in flight mode, thereby disabling all connections. When I connected to the network again, the same thing started over. I got about 10 minutes use out of it that day. Since then it has got better; it's only restarted 5 times in the last 3 days, and 2 of those restarts were in quick succession. All the same, it's not good news after 14 faultless months, and knowing how badly (and unpredictably) it can go wrong I no longer have confidence in it to be reliable. This is especially the case with things like boarding cards on the BA app and accessing email to look up the reference code when collecting train tickets from the automatic machines. What do you do if it packs in then and you can't access these things? On that basis I can only give it 3 stars, which is a shame as only 2 weeks ago I would have given in 4.5/5 If it carries on like this I'll probably replace it because I can't be dependent on something so unreliable.

The Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary: French-English, English-French
The Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary: French-English, English-French
by Marie-Hélène Corréard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dictionary; better than Collins and cheaper too!, 12 Nov. 2008
I bought this dictionary without really assessing the market because I trusted an Oxford dictionary to be the best. Since then I have used the equivilant Collins-Robert (CR) dictionary in school, and while that in itself is very good, I'm still glad that I bought Oxford-Hachette. The typeface is clear, it has a vast array of sample letters, bills, contracts etc. in the middle section to assist people such as students who are going to live in France, and most importantly it has a HUGE range of vocabulary. Despite being cheaper than CR, it actually appears thicker, and it also comes with an accurate pronunciation CD-ROM. There isn't much to choose between them in terms of vocab, but I'd choose Oxford-Hachette over Collins-Robert simply because of the many helpful extras and it being a bit cheaper.

New York City (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
New York City (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
by Ginger Otis

3.0 out of 5 stars More style than substance, 4 Jun. 2008
Lonely Planet New York Encounter is an undeniably neat package; pocket sized, very easy to navigate with its neighbourhood structure, a detailed map and more glossy and visually appealing than the usual Lonely Planet guides. However, its small size and generous spacing means that the author has been very selective in listing bars restaurants etc. There are no individual eating, shopping, sleeping sections; the book is instead divided into neighbourhoods (Chelsea, Meatpacking District etc) which has a brief paragraph about the neighbourhoods character, and then some key attractions, shops, bars and restaurants listed. But in some cases only about 4 restaurants are listed for a main neighbourhood, which is ridiculous for a city the size and stature of New York. Also, the map pages which are usually found in the back of LP guides has been abandonned in favour of a tear out map. While this could be seen as handy for getting a feel for the scale of the place and where things are in relation to one another, it's less practical if you're actually standing on a pavement working out wear to go. It means you have to hold 2 items instead of 1, and the map is quite large and therefore indiscreet.

I wouldn't neccessarily say Lonely Planet New York Encounter is a bad guide, but it's best suited for brief encounters i.e. a weekend break or business trip. If you want to really discover the city, it's probably best to go for one of the full sized city guides. Or even better...explore!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2008 12:11 PM BST

Powerball Signature Series Powerball - Transparent
Powerball Signature Series Powerball - Transparent

3.0 out of 5 stars Overated, 4 April 2008
To be honest, I bought this after seeing it getting rave reviews online, but am really quite disappointed. Yes, it's a clever idea, and looks great when you're using it in the dark. But unlike most gadgets of this type, I don't find it at all addictive. It's noisy, if you miss one movement it clunks and often you can't get it going properly again without stopping and starting again, and despite using it nearly every day I feel no difference in arm strength or dexterity. If you've got a spare £20 by all means give it a go, but I know I was left with an overwhelming sense of disappointment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2009 11:45 AM GMT

Introducing Joss Stone
Introducing Joss Stone
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

3.0 out of 5 stars An album of 2 halves, 14 May 2007
This review is from: Introducing Joss Stone (Audio CD)
I held off buying this album after the bad press it got, but eventualyy gave in to my curiosity. It's true to say that this is definately not as good as her previous 2 albums. From the very first track you know that it's different to the previous 2 albums. Sometimes, it's different for the better. Tell Me Bout It, Girl They Won't Believe It and Put Your Hands On Me are really upbeat songs that are a joy to listen too. Likewise, Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now is absolutely fantastic, and never has Stone sounded so sexy and convincing. Arms of My Baby is ok too. But thats where nicely different ends, halfway through the album. After that the tracks are just totally forgettable, and don't really inspire, excite or move you in any way. I think the problem is that Stone has tried to become more mainstream. The vintage soul has been largely ditched, replaced by more pop and R&B style tracks. Apart from the tracks mentioned above , nothing seems original or genuine.Bad Habit has potential, but for some reason it just sounds dated, like something done by a Beyonce wannabe back in the early 2000s.

I would recommend you buy this album, if only for the first 5 or 6 tracks. The rest arne't bad, but they are just very forgettable and been there seen it done it. Hopefully her fourth attempt will be back to classic Stone.

School Tycoon (PC)
School Tycoon (PC)
Offered by marxwax

2.0 out of 5 stars A short life span, 1 April 2007
This review is from: School Tycoon (PC) (Video Game)
I bought this game on the cheap, so wasn't expecting it to be amazing. But in fairness I was pleasantly surprised when I first played it. In a geeky, addictive kind of way it's fun creating you dream school. You start off with the smallest buildings, and as your school develops better buildings are unlocked. But thats about it really. After about 3 days playing on and off I was really bored, and haven't played it since. Theres just not enough to do once you get past the initial idea.

Montreal and Quebec City (Lonely Planet City Guides)
Montreal and Quebec City (Lonely Planet City Guides)
by Eilis Quinn

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to use, but lacking the visual wow factor., 29 Mar. 2007
This is the first Lonely Planet city guide I have bought and I am very impressed with it. It gives a detailed insight into life and general culture in Montreal, and informs you of relevent and interesting history without boring you. The chapters of shopping, sights, eating etc. are easy to navigate as they are divided into areas. This is better than the Time Out guides as it gives only a brief paragraph to describe an area and focuses on the attractions themselves. Time Out tends to use long essays which can be difficult to find what you are looking for. The only thing that I would say could be improved about this book is the introduction of pictures; aside from some generic shots at the front there are literally one or maybe 2 pictures in the book, and these are in black and white. I look forward to using this book when I visit Canada in the summer.

Sony Ericsson W810i Black - 2.0 Megapixel Camera - Bluetooth - 20MB Internal Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars A class act better than other music orientated mobiles, 14 Feb. 2007
I only got this phone yesterday but already I am so glad I did not switch to Nokia or Samsung. This phone is very stylish without being too flashy, and it is very easy to navigate. The MP3 sounds great (the best I've ever heard on a mobile), and it's really easy to transfer tracks onto it using the software. The only minor annoyance I find with this is that it takes a bit of time, but with the drag and drop simplicity of it you can't fault it really. The radio with RDS is very handy to have, and it's really simple to tune it and save stations. The camera is excellent, if a bit confusing at first, and the internet is extremely quick. Mine came with a 512MB Pro Duo memory stick which costs £15 by itself, and also a very nice set of headphones. I find them a bit small, but that might just be becuase I have big ears.

All in all a class act, and definately on a level playing field with the Samsung D900 and far superior to the Nokia 5300 Xpress Music. Plus, it's got that ultra cool Walkman logo on it in orange ;)

Time Out Las Vegas - 5th Ed ("Time Out" Guides)
Time Out Las Vegas - 5th Ed ("Time Out" Guides)
by Time Out Guides Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Fabulous Time Out LasVegas!, 6 Feb. 2007
This book really does contain everything you need to know about Las Vegas. It gives an honest, critical appraisal of pretty much every aspect of the city, and while it plays to Vegas' strengths, you'll also see that it's not all roses. This is particularly evident in the architecture section and when talking about transport and certain areas between Downtown and the Strip. A must have book for anyone visiting Vegas, or who just wants a good look at what its like warts and all.