Profile for Ms. J. Manders > Reviews

Content by Ms. J. Manders

Ms. J. Manders "J Manders" (uk)

Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup
Mooncup Model A Menstrual Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonder cup saves the day, 9 Oct. 2015
So I'm about to go away for the weekend with the hubby and there is a hot tub. We have been planning this forever. Wine, chocolates, warm bubbly water... And my period hits the day before. One quick internet search later and I find the mooncup. It seems too good to be true but I buy one anyway and resolce to test the little wonder out.

I was worried: would I be able to put it in? Would I be able to get it out? Would it get lost up there and cause a last min dash to A&E. The image of a pyjama clad doctor with a huge set of forcepts kept running through my mind.

I needn't have panicked. The cuo is easy to insert - easier when wet. Simple to retrieve. If you can't get hold of the little sucker just bear down and it will drop lower. And so far there is no leakage. I can't feel it. I've almost forgotten that I'm on my period. Hot tub here I come! One downside - the tail. It rubs and feels uncomfortable. I trimmed it twice before just cutting it off completly.

I wish I'd found this years ago. So much better than towels of tampons. My carbon footprint is more flip flop than jack boot now. I'm saving the planet one period at a time!

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is a brilliant read. She doesn't pull any punches when it ..., 28 July 2014
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Kindle Edition)
I have by passed Gillians Flynns book so much in the past, mostly due to their mudane covers. Don't let that put you off, this book is a brilliant read. She doesn't pull any punches when it comes to characterisation. Characters are written with a brutal honesty that is both refreshing and disturbing. The story pulls you in and the settings feel very concrete. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an alternative to the glut of formulaic genre novels that are out there. I look forward to her next books as she is only going to get better.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Your Route Out of Perfectionism, Self-sabotage and Other Everyday Habits
by Avy Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars It's very repetative and dumbed down. There are some good pointers in it ..., 28 July 2014
I haven't managed to get through this book yet - had it for a while. It's very repetative and dumbed down. There are some good pointers in it though and I found that reading through the first chapters I could easily identify the difference between negative and positive behavior. I'm sure once I get back into it, it will prove to be useful.

Steelheart (Reckoners 1)
Steelheart (Reckoners 1)
by Brandon Sanderson

3.0 out of 5 stars I did enjoy Steelheart, it sets scene perfectly for the next ..., 28 July 2014
This is the first Brandon Sanderson book I have read and not a book I would normally choose as I don't read much in this genre. I did enjoy Steelheart, it sets scene perfectly for the next Reckoners adventure. The characters are all interesting and well thought out and the plot moves along very quickly with plenty of action. I would recommened this book to anyone who just wants to be thouroughly entertained and not to have to think too much. It's written well and plays out like a movie. Would recommended this book to anyone looking to try this genre for a change.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
by Robert Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Read, 8 July 2014
I was drawn to this book initially just to see whay all the hype was. After being a big Harry Potter fan and understanding that this book would be nothing like them, I didn't know what to expect. What I found was a fab muder mystery, written very well with a lot of well drawn three dimensional characters. I warmed to Cormoran Strike through the the book and found myself falling for him a little by the end. He is a character I would like to read and read again. The plot isn't mindblowing or showy but the true genius here is the world you get drawn into and the characters you meet along the way.

Dreaming To Some Purpose
Dreaming To Some Purpose
by Colin Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST BIOGRAPHIES YOU WILL EVER READ, 8 Jun. 2008
I came to Colin Wilson quite by mistake. On the way home from a holiday, bored on the plane, I picked up a magazine and read an interview with him. My first initial though was, what an interesting man, I must get some of his books. His biography was the first to arrive and I was hooked by the first page.
Whatever you're opinion of Mr Wilson, he has had an incredibly interesting life. He has an awful lot to say and it's always worth listening to. A very honest insight into his own life, you can't fail to warm to him. A truly extraordinary man. Most of us amble along letting life happen to us, I rather think Mr wilson has made his own life and has lived it well. As with many great talents, I have the feeling that he wont really be appreciated, until he is no longer with us.

Astonishing Splashes Of Colour
Astonishing Splashes Of Colour
by Clare Morrall

3.0 out of 5 stars ASTONISHING SPLASHES OF COLOUR, 8 Jun. 2008
Astonishing splashed of colour is a compelling read. The narative leads you along nicely and although the thoughts and ideas of the central charater may conflict with your own beliefs, they are illustrated in such a way as to startle you gently, rather than to shock you into disbelief. It's a wonderfully well written book, the language used is easy to get on with, like an old friend, and doesn't leave you searching desperatley for a dictionery to better understand a sentence! The characters are well rounded and the nature of their relationships with each other is well thought out and incredibly lifelike.
My only one complaint about the story is that some of the answers to the questions posed, are a little too conveinient. The ending also fails to live up to expectations - in as much as it goes a little too far. Without giving to much away, lets just say that the final section of the book could have been a story in its own right and really dosen't need to be included in the story you are already involved in.