Profile for Amazon customer > Reviews

Amazon customer

Too Many Tenors
Too Many Tenors
by Ann Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable novel, especially for readers who have been involved in the world of 'serious' choirs., 30 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Too Many Tenors (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book more than any I've read for ages. I often get bored with novels, but this one has held my attention throughout. This is partly (perhaps largely) because of the musical setting, which is a very familiar world to me. I imagine it could be rather puzzling to some readers. There is also a sort of wit and lack of earnestness about the writing, which particularly shows in names like Sweet Basil, Gloria in Excelsis and My Cat Jeoffry, but is evident elsewhere too.

A very minor quibble and not really, I suppose, relevant to the plot, but I was a bit surprised at the lack of gay characters. Any choir of this type that I've known has had a few!

Benjamin Britten (Kindle Single) (Penguin Specials)
Benjamin Britten (Kindle Single) (Penguin Specials)

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate as far as I've read., 1 Nov. 2013
I've only read the preview (1st chapter and a bit of the 2nd), but the number of inaccuracies in this excerpt means I am not interested in reading the rest. The least a biographer can do is get facts right. They are quite small things, like the name of his sister and the difference between prep and public schools, but they betray a lack of scrupulous care.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 10:24 AM GMT

Mozart/ Britten/ Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 40/ Nocturne/ Symphony No. 3 Extracts (Peter Pears/ English Chamber Orchestra/ Benjamin Britten) (ICA Classics: ICAD 5083) [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Peter Pears

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous historical document!, 7 Oct. 2012
The current product description on Amazon, which describes ballets, is incorrect. I am writing about the Benjamin Britten/Peter Pears DVD.

This has three filmed concerts, the Mozart and the Britten Nocturne from Croyden in 1964, and the Mendelssohn excerpts from Snape Maltings in 1970. Only the Mendelssohn is in colour. Both picture and sound quality (though efficiently enhanced) are naturally less than perfect, but it remains a magical historical document, particularly because these were live concerts. We see a great composer in action, and a great singer as well in the Nocturne.

Britten's conducting style is spare and undemonstrative, but supremely musical. Pears is also restrained in some ways. He stands still and doesn't gesticulate. All the expression - and there is plenty - comes from the voice. Modern singers could learn a lot! His singing of Britten's Nocturne is superb, his breath control phenomenal, his articulation clear.

It is quite wonderful to see these two great musicians (partners in life as well as music) together like this, and also to see the ECO at those times. There is some beautiful obbligato playing in the Britten piece.

There are notes by Paul Kildea, but no texts for the Britten. I suppose for that reason and the sound/picture quality I should have given it fewer stars, but to me it is definitely worth five!

Alice in Wonderland [DVD]
Alice in Wonderland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp

1.0 out of 5 stars Total junk - avoid!, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland [DVD] (DVD)
This film is unbelievably bad. It is also very, very boring, which is unforgiveable. I do wish that American directors would leave English classic children's literature alone. There is no understanding of Lewis Carroll's books here, and I feel very sorry for anyone who sees this and thinks he/she has seen Alice in Wonderland, which is, after all, the title of the film. Perhaps if it were called something else it would be less of a - well, disappointment is an insufficient word. There are some fine actors in it, but nothing they can do with this tedoius rubbish. I'd have given it no stars if I could have done.

Ignore it and read the books!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2015 9:18 AM BST

Billy Budd: Royal Opera House (Charles Mackerras) [DVD] [2008]
Billy Budd: Royal Opera House (Charles Mackerras) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Britten
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Historic performance of a great work., 29 Aug. 2010
This is a very good television film from the mid-1960s of Britten's great and profound opera Billy Budd. All the performances are convincing, though I don't think Billy looks quite right. The real gem is Peter Pears's Vere, a part written with his voice, and to some extent his personality, in mind. Nobody else has ever given it the dignity and poignancy he did, and he looks wonderful in the uniform!

The set is realistic, the conducting excellent as you would expect. It's a privilege to be able to see something of such historic interest. Prepare to be harrowed though - this is a tragic story.

Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book
Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book
by Enid Blyton

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still good., 8 Mar. 2009
I had this book when I was a child. I learnt a fantastic amount from it, much of which I still remember over 50 years later. It is detailed, and doesn't talk down, using the Latin names of plant families, for instance, but in the context of stories. Two boys and a girl go for country walks with their neighbour, who teaches them about the plants and animals they see. Nobody worries about this, although he is male and new to the neighbourhood. I suppose by modern standards it is sexist in some ways, but one of the lessons that stayed with me is that girls shouldn't squeal at insect life!

The illustrations are exquisite.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2009 2:04 PM BST