Profile for R. Barnes > Reviews

R. Barnes (Philly)

Mixology The Definitive Salsoul Mixes
Mixology The Definitive Salsoul Mixes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, no audio problems detected, 11 Sept. 2013
The music on these 3 discs includes the Salsoul usual suspects. Runaway, Hit & Run, Dr. Love, Ten Percent, ect. If you are a fan of Salsoul, you know what to expect. Some tracks might be album cuts, but the vast majority are remixes from the likes of Tom Moulton, Walter Gibons, Larry Levan and others.

The main issue I want to address is audio quality (because Syd, in his review, brought the issue up). First I listened to Dr. Love by First Choice (Tom Moulton 12" mix) on this set. I did not notice any problems with eq or mastering, and the mix sounded fine to me. However, my ears are over 40 years old and I am not a professional engineer, so I thought perhaps Syd just detected problems I could not hear.

My next strategy was to listen to Dr. Love on other CDs and compare it to the version on this one. Some versions sounded a bit different than others, but this one sounded no better or worse than any of the other versions I listened to. FYI, I listened to Dr. Love on four other CDS: Salsoul 12" Gold Master Series, Original Salsoul Classics, Salsoul 30th Anniversary, & Salsoul presents the Definitive 12" Masters. Some of these contained the album mix, and at least one contained the Tom Molton 12" mix (same mix as on the product I am reviewing). Again, it may be that my ears are not sophisticated to detect the alleged differences between the recordings.

My next strategy was to import the five versions of Dr. Love onto my computer as Wave files (I used iTunes for the import). I then used Audacity to plot the spectrum over the first 4 minutes of each of the 5 songs. I then saved the spectrum view for each. I then compared all 5 spectrums and found very similar patterns in each. This was even more surprising given that I was comparing different mixes of the song to each other. The version being reviewed has similar signal strength assigned to the mid-range and treble as all the other versions.

Conclusion: My 3 disc set did not appear to have any of the flaws noticed by Syd. The recording was a tiny bit more crisp than 2 of the other recordings, but no other major differences could be detected by my ears. If you are tempted to buy this 3 disc set, I suggest you should not be put off by Syd's review.

Note: I only did the spectral comparisons on one track (because I do not have an infinite amount of leisure time). However, I did listen to all 3 discs in The Definitive Salsoul Mixes set, and they all seemed fine to my unprofessional ears. If anyone wants to see the spectrograms of the 5 versions, I can email those to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2013 12:47 AM BST

London Conversations: The Best Of Saint Etienne
London Conversations: The Best Of Saint Etienne

5.0 out of 5 stars This 2 CD + DVD is a good thing., 24 July 2009
Whoever is responsible for releasing this, let me give you a big "thank you." As a fan St.E, I have all the CDs, several CD singles, the remix album: Casino classics, and at least one "best of" compilation. However, up until the point I ordered this wonderfully priced gem, I didn't have one video from my favorite pop band. As an added bonus, I (a yankee) can play the DVD on my region 1 player.