Profile for Quinta > Reviews

Content by Quinta

Quinta "Sci-Fi fan and destroyer of fanboys." (U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
20 Years of Tomb Raider
20 Years of Tomb Raider
by Meagan Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding informational book!, 26 Oct. 2016
[Edited review]
After an initial disappointment with my first copy, I got my replacement book the next day, pretty quick.

I took the morning off to delve into this magnificent tome, and I was not disappointed, in fact going through it (actually reading it page by page) a few hours elapsed without me even realizing it, just sat on the couch with my coffee enjoying every bit of information of it. As a big fan since the first game a lot of stuff was actually fun to find out or just put pieces together from things you already knew. There's just so much solid info, detailed info, in this book, about each game!

So far I only got to the Croft Manor 'chapter', I was mostly curious about possibly learning new info about the first 5 games, they were the most precious to me (still have them on PSX) and the ones with the less available info online when game making wasn't as documented as it is now or even 10 years ago. So those pages went by really quick, with me absorbing everything. I really love this book.

On a more technical aspect of it, the quality is very good, hardcover, white matte background with glossy gray for the text and silhouette. Very nice feeling to your fingertips.
It comes with a paper cover, also matte feel but with black gloss for text and silhouette, good choice as I don't like when the protective cover varies to much from the actual book cover. On a personal note I would have prefered these colours to be inverted, white silhouette over black background, just because white cover books are a pain to maintain intact, anything, and I mean anything, will colour transfer into that cover (the issue happened with my first copy, proving my point) and any small crease on the the paper or pressure on the harcover will show in a white backdrop. But that's just me being nitpicky.

Inside the book feels great, premium glossy paper or some sort, your fingers won't leave fingerprints on it (unless you just ate crisps, nothing will save it from that) and it's nice and tick paper. High quality renders and photos inside apart from the odd one here or there from the 90's.

A lot of careful went into composing the pages, the info is spread out nicely in comfortable chunks of small text with images to back it up. Basically it doesn't read like an old Atlas kids book, which was what I was afraid of. It just feels mature, lots of text with lots of info and documentation in the form of images (it is a game after all) to sustain and enhance the text. It's a book for adults.

- If you're a big fan of Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider games (both old and the reboot), I highly recommend getting this book, it's unique! Just like me, you're the main target for this book, and you will love it to bits.

- If you're a big fan of the old Lara but not the new, I'd still recommend you to get this, it's a compendium and an archive that you can own of the origins of Lara, back in the time you considered her games good.

- If you're a big fan of the new reboot series, (didn't care much or hated the old games) and now finally converted since Lara got the Uncharted treatment, then this is still an interesting read for you, it just depends on how big of a fan are you. Most of the book talks about her previous history (older games), her pop culture, hollywood, societal, and collector influences. So most of the book is dedicated to the past games and past and current influences more so than the new games. However, with that said, there is still massive chunks of info, lots and lots of pages documenting and talking about the two new games, obviously because game production is so documented these days compared to 20 years ago. So a lot of info for reboot lovers.
On a complimentary note to the above, I also own the previous Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival book (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomb-Raider-survival-Multiplayer-Edizioni/dp/886355238X/), but I'm not sure yet if info in that book might be found repeated on this 20th anniversary one, I'm sure bits of info will overlap obviously, but seeing they're made from completely different authors, I'd take a chance and say you might get a lot of new info from this new book about the reboot game, and it's sequel. So if you also have that 'survival' book you might want to hold back, but again, this new one will have info on Rise of The Tomb Raider game if you enjoyed that one. So it's a matter of you gauging just how much of a reboot only fan are you. Then again, it's just £17.00 quid. I was expecting £40.00, and I would have paid that for such a compendium of franchise knowledge.

Hope this review was helpful and thorough. I'm sorry for the wall of text, but I don't believe in one liner reviews.

------------------------------------
[Previous original review]

The book itself feels fantastic, but I couldn't bare looking at it for long after receiving directly from Amazon(!) a copy of the book that looked like it was on display somewhere, and literally damaged! I mean, just look at the photos. The first three pages were folded halfway, as if they were folded to fit a letter envelope. The cover was dirty both inside and outside, something black pressed onto it, and apparently something green left a mark on the front cover bottom. The top and bottom of the cover were bent out of shape, I mean, it was either a display book or a book from the bottom of the pile, it's just abysmal they've even packaged this...

Whoever picked up this specific copy of the book from wherever it was standing on and though "it's good enough" deserves disciplinary action. I'm not fussed about the shrink-wrap film usually, but this? This was ridiculous!

I've asked for my replacement copy, and I made bloody sure to ask for a shrink-wrapped copy, because this just pissed me off. It's supposed to be a special collector's item, not a hand me down book from the local charity shop. You bet your *** I want a shrink-wrapped copy this time, you shouldn't even be selling "NEW" books that aren't shrink-wrap protected against humidity, water or colour transfer. Specially if the cover is mainly white.

I'll re-adjust my review score when I get my replacement and can evaluate the book without feeling sorry for being so miss-treated.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2016 3:43 PM BST

Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap
Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's ridiculous price tag, 31 Aug. 2016
This is a review for the Black Rapid RS-7.

I've purchased this just under a year now, in September '15, and I have to say this is one of the best purchases I've ever done regarding camera equipment.
I'll skim through the actual functionality of it, I'll just say it plain and simple that it works, it does its job properly and it streamlines my shooting by a lot. It makes it very quick to just pull up the camera and shoot, and it's a relief for your fingers and arm muscles to be able to let go that grip and weight respectively. Sure, it certainly is still a weight on your shoulder with a camera + flash + battery grip, but trust be you'll be glad to be able to give your arm and griping fingers some rest.

Now, for the actual important stuff that made buy this ridiculously expensive piece, because there's no other way to describe it.

Simply put, I've never had any problems with it almost a year into it.
While I was reading up reviews for this and other cheaper brands I realized that, at the time the, cheaper brands had enough horror stories to scare me away, about cameras getting loose and smashing on concrete, pavement, tarmac or otherwise solid surfaces. The Black Rapid gowever had only one, so I took the plunge. Best decision I've made.

I've never found in all this time the camera loosening up, at all. If you tighten the thing properly to your camera like a real bearded beef eating man, I'm sure you'll be fine.

I reckon the only horror story I read here of some guy's camera breaking loose was because of one thing: He didn't tightened it properly.
I swear, whenever I'm working with it, I check the grip 3 or 4 times a day, and every time I do it the thing just won't go any tighter, because it doesn't go loose in the first place. The grip is just fantastic.

The strap fabric is also quite solid and well knitted(?) Together, it hasn't even begin to wear out yet, and it feels quite confortable (within reason, you do have a heavy camera hanging) and I just keep the camera to the side of my right leg, easy to pull up if need be suddenly.

It's truly a wonderful piece of kit, just as valuable as any other piece that you find yourself taking with you every time due to being essential. Well, I find this strap essential now. Trust me, learn from the mistakes of others and not your mistakes on this occasion, don't go for the cheap ones, get a black rapid, any black rapid. You're paying premium, but you're stupidly expensive gear is in good hands.

Gore Bike Wear Women's Oxygen Full-Zip Jersey - Kiwi/White, Size 34
Gore Bike Wear Women's Oxygen Full-Zip Jersey - Kiwi/White, Size 34

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better live than in photos, 3 Jan. 2015
Much better live than in photos, green is actually really nice. Gore always gives you excellent quality items, amazing it was on sale, excellent value for money.

Dare2b Women's Refreshed Jersey - Black, Size 8
Dare2b Women's Refreshed Jersey - Black, Size 8
Offered by Watches2U

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 3 Jan. 2015
Very poor quality, it lasted me 4 weeks before the green colour starts to come off.

50 x C4/A4 PLAIN WHITE SELF SEAL ENVELOPES 90gsm SS
50 x C4/A4 PLAIN WHITE SELF SEAL ENVELOPES 90gsm SS
Offered by PolyPostalBags

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jan. 2015
Excellent for what I need, good quality envelopes as described. Very fast delivery, thanks.

Eastpak Messenger Bag Delegate - 20 Liters - Black
Eastpak Messenger Bag Delegate - 20 Liters - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I now think this was one of the best value for money bags you can get, 29 Sept. 2014
I've had one of these bags for I don't know how long, I think maybe 8 years or more now, and although I thought it was expensive back then, I now think this was one of the best value for money bags you can get.
I originally got it to basically carry evereything I had for college, books, gadgets, laptop, etc. Meanwhile years have gone by and man can this thing take a beating.

I've put everything you can imagine in there, from extremely heavy and pointy edge stuff that could rip your average bag a new one, to food that gets squashed or spilled, and this bag just keeps on truckin'.

I've ruined the bag I have no idea how long ago when I washed it at 60ºC or maybe 90ºC, so the plastic film that covers the entire inside of the bag just shattered, or maybe it's just old age and the plastic film lost it's flexibility and dried, I don't know, probably my fault, so careful when you do decide to wash it.

It doesn't hold its rectangular shape, so it's floppy if there are no contents inside - which for me is perfect - but if you do need to place a lot of stuff in there, it _will_ hold! The straps are magnificent, in all these years it never broke, definitely worn down, but never broke, which I'm still impressed since they're plastic. The fabric is also still holding to those plastic clips like if new.

It's got a zipper compartment on the front 'lid', great for paperwork and stuff you don't want mixed or crushed; two smaller compartments left and right (no zip) on the front where I stash keys, passes, army-knife, headphones, extra phone battery and other miscellany on the other side that I want separated like tissues, hand-wash gel, lip-balm, etc; Then there's the main compartment wich is large, but not ridiculously big for an average size guy/girl, but the best part is that it can be expanded to I'd say triple the size if you want to shove a lot of bulky stuff in there like clothes, laptop+peripherals, sleeping bag (yes), some 10 liters of foodstuffs, you name it.
There's also a zipper sealed compartment on the inside of the main compartment, and behind the bag there's yet another compartment that is hard to see by others since it's facing you if you're wearing the bag across your chest, making it a perfect place to place 'private stuff' you don't want others to rummage through on checkpoints.

Best bag I've ever had in my life. Gonna get another one to replace my old one, just wish it came in leather since it's not impermeable.

Re-Entry
Re-Entry
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars ... Amazon this show pops up all around the site like it's the best thing since toilet paper, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Extant Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Everytime I go to Amazon this show pops up all around the site like it's the best thing since toilet paper, so I decided to give it a go, and whoaaa I almost felt being chain pulled by a truck back to the 90's. This has to be the biggest amalgam of sci-fi I've ever seen.

Episode one doesn't capture the attention that a green-lit series should by today's standards (Breaking Bad, Battle Star Galactica, The Walking Dead, Sherlock). Even Lost captured my attention and that's saying something.

(POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT)

Plot-wise it starts off sanely and interesting, eventually we find out she has a 'condition' that couldn't possibly have happened while 'spacing' for 13 months, so your interest ramps up, how did that happen then, color me mildly interested. Then you find out her husband actually thought this was a remake of Spielberg's A.I. and started doing his robot thing, the series director thought it looked cool so he let the camera roll anyway. After the fact, you also find Hale's and her husbands kid IS a robot, so you start asking yourself what does this show want to be?

We also need to add insult (to our intelligence) to injury and see Halle deleting CCTV footage from getting delusional and seeing things that aren't really there while in space. You know, not a big deal and sound pretty normal since she was alone for 13 months, but let's make this "delete the footage" scene like it's some amazing action sequence, music et all. While the entire time I was thinking, why? So the board would have her endure more psychiatric sessions, but hei, alone for 13 months, anyone could go imagining their dead ex-bf or husband or whatever that guy was.

But let's add more insult to injury, let finish the episode with a guy that is dead, but he's not dead after all, he's actually alive, a co-worker of some sort, and he apparently will play the role of X-Files "Deep-Throat" giving hints to Mulder... Sorry, I meant Halle Berry, about "not trusting anyone!" Oh My Gawd, conspiracy theory! And, end.

I won't bother with episode 2, not in 2014 I won't, I got higher standards.

More Mile High Viz Water-Resistant Backpack Rucksack Bag Cover for Cycling or Running
Offered by The Sportswear Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover, 24 Mar. 2014
I'm impressed by it's quality compared to others I have bought in the past. Excellent cover for my expensive backpack!

Merrell Grassbow Sport, Women's Lace-Up  Low Rise Hiking Boots  - Black, 5 UK
Merrell Grassbow Sport, Women's Lace-Up Low Rise Hiking Boots - Black, 5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Merrel shoes, 22 Mar. 2014
The great thing about Merrel is that your shoes will last you more than 6 years even if you wear them every day, and after trying other expensive brands none of them are so comfortable as Merrel ones, due to it's sole. I bought this ones for cycling their gore-tex and their sole with grip makes them perfect for that. They also feel very light while cycling compared to other Merrel shoes I was wearing before.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2017 10:48 AM BST

6 x Assecure Single Black Game card case holder for Nintendo 3DS, DS, Lite, DSi & XL
Offered by ZedLabz Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Mar. 2014
Excellent item and great value for money. Doesn't look a cheap material so I am really happy with my purchase!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4