Profile for Ziggywatters > Reviews

Content by Ziggywatters

Ziggywatters "Ziggywatters" (London, U.K)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Tracker
Tracker

5.0 out of 5 stars This is his greatest solo record, 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Tracker (Audio CD)
This is his greatest solo record.

I love Shangri-La, I really enjoyed Privateering..Sailing to Phili and Get Lucky both had their moments...but this is, for me, without doubt his most complete and consistently great record.

I won't go through the tracks, but they're all wonderful. I'm a massive JJ Cale fan and as the years go by, more and more I feel Knopflers building a body of work which competes his.

Beautiful arrangements, great vocals and a wonderful vibe from start to finish.

Wonderful.

Michael Jackson - Broadcasting Live
Michael Jackson - Broadcasting Live

1.0 out of 5 stars The fact that the product description lists "Billy Jean" and ..., 21 Dec. 2015
The fact that the product description lists "Billy Jean" and "White or Black" should tell you all you need to know about this product....

Connasse, princesse des coeurs [FR Import] [DVD] Cottin, Camille; Lang, Elois...
Offered by CKDO77

1.0 out of 5 stars No English Subtitles!, 10 Dec. 2015
FIRST - I LOVE THIS FILM...!

However...I watched it when flying on an Air France flight back from Brazil...where they had English subtitles...

THIS DVD DOES NOT HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES!

I struggle to fathom the stupidity of the French distributors who decide it best to not release the film with English subtitles...a film primarily made in England, half spoken in English...why on earth not reach out to the English audience and try to sell more DVDs?!

This WAS a great film when I was able to watch it...I just simply can't believe I've bought the DVD here only to find it impossible to find English subtitles now...crazy. Idiots.

Saved By The Girl
Saved By The Girl
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and a great compilation of memories, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Saved By The Girl (Audio CD)
Great idea and a great compilation of memories...

I bought this for a 10 year old nieces Brithday pressie.. and although Disc 1's great.. Disc 2 has some weaker moments and there are some glaring misses!

I'd have on Disc 2.

Macy Gray - I Try
Gabrielle - Dreams
Madonna - Vogue
Lisa Loeb - Stay

But I realise there are all sorts of release issues for these songs and you can't 100% please everyone.

Moonwalk
Moonwalk
by Michael Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding and wonderful to have., 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Moonwalk (Paperback)
An incredible read and although heavily ghost written and no doubt vastly doctored...It remains a good insight in to the man, at a time when his fame could not have been greater.

Wonderful stories of his childhood, his recording and motown years...great anecdotes about the Thriller days and just an all round fascinating story of a man like no other.

Well worth the price, could have been five times the length, truly astonishing on every page, there's something to keep you astounded with every turn of the page.

Breakfast: Morning, Noon and Night
Breakfast: Morning, Noon and Night
by Fern Green

5.0 out of 5 stars There's nothing quite like Breakfast!, 17 Mar. 2015
Must confess, I am an absolute Breakfast worshipper. My favourite meal of the day, I take great pride in my ability to produce a first rate Scrambled Egg and I love anything else remotely Egg related...

And so this book ticks my boxes.

I salivated as I flicked through the pages in a shop last Saturday.. And I'm not in any way a Cook Book fan... haven't got one to be exact... but this one got me. Great recipes, great pictures and delicious offerings.

I'm still trying to find online evidence that French toast is healthy...I might try and find similar evidence that suggests the home made Chocolate doughnuts are too!!

1989
1989
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh and I HATE 80's and modern day pop too, 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: 1989 (Audio CD)
Wow. I'm nowhere even close to a typical Taylor Swift fan.

My record collection (the fact I say record collection should say it all actually...) contains mainly 90's indie, 70's funk and everything put out by Bowie, Beatles, Jackson, JJ Cale and The Band.... Oh and I HATE 80's and modern day pop too...

But this is exceptional.

I was converted to Taylor Swift as my guilty pleasure by Trouble.. I have the Red album. It's an impressive record. What drew me to her was the lyrics.. I then did some research and realised that my lazy judgements were misplaced... she's no Katy Perry... she's a proper song writer.

So on to 1989.... This is a massive album. Massive in scope and potential. When Michael Jackson bought out albums you could hear nearly every song being a number 1 single.. and they invariably would produce nearly 6 or 8 each time. This album is LOADED from top to bottom with number 1 singles.

The problem might even be for Taylor that because each track is SO good, SO polished, that you lose sight of how good each individual track is. It's genuinely hit after hit after hit... and it's only when imagining how they'll sound on radio that you realise they could all easily be number 1's...

Some here don't seem to want her to move on from her Country roots.. well guess what folks, she has. She's mid-20's now and moved to the big city... she's an artist, a writer, her inspirations and passions have changed and so too will her art. That is to be embraced. She is a genuine talent developing before our eyes, a Carol King for her own generation and as someone worn down by the dire state the mainstream music industry finds itself in - I'm excited to find a Taylor Swift come through. A genuine talent.

Can't even begin to list the standout tracks... I find myself listening a lot to Welcome to New York, Blank Space, Style, Out of the Woods, All You Had To Do Was Stay, Shake it off, I Wish You Would, Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, How You Get The Girl, This Love, I Know Places, Clean, Wonderland, You Are In Love & New Romantics...

Incredible pop record. Get it, give it time... It's not Red, it's not all like Shake it off.. but wow is it good. The best pop album since MJ's Dangerous?

Blunderbuss
Blunderbuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Jacks "RAM", 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Blunderbuss (Audio CD)
I LOVE this record. What a great great album it is...it sounds like the musings of a mad musical genius being alowed to just go for it... It reminds me of McCartneys output after the Beatles, McCartney, Ram and Wings' Wild Life... They all showcased McCartney just going nuts and creating some incredible things, often all on his own.

And that's what this record has, whether he succeeds or fails, a real musicality remains regardless... even on songs you might not like, there's something to enjoy... a solo, a keys riff, a bass line... something that makes you listen again. And it has a real sense of expression and fun...

It's a brilliant brilliant record. A brilliant artistic snap shot of man in transition and feeling a new found freedom to create.

Xscape
Xscape
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought only for the Original Demos, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Xscape (Audio CD)
Just thought I should clarify. I have only bought this for the demo's. I have absolutely zero interest in what Sony have done with them. I am a fan of Michael Jackson, I've been a "massive" of his all my life, I'm 33.

The thing is, I am interested purely in Michael, the artist, and I don't believe the "Finished" tracks represent any insight to the creativity of Michael. The demo's offer me a lot more pleasure and interest.

Why oh why Sony doesn't release an Anthology set of these is a mystery to me. The Beatles Anthology series for example...what is more interesting to hear, outtakes from recording sessions and unfinished demos or the singles, Free as a Bird and Real Love?

Sony could release an incredible MJ Anthology which would help give us once and for all an unbelievable insight in to the way he worked...the way he wrote these songs. The Audio tracks he put down, the beatbox demos... He wrote nearly 70 tracks each for Thriller, Bad and Dangerous... they must be sitting on a goldmine. For anyone interested, just listen to the court case tapes from the 1994 Dangerous case on youtube... It's Pretty much the only time MJ talked about his process... It would be priceless to have some of these tapes.

Anyway.....

The "finished" tracks... my worry is that in the future it will be forgotten when this was released, no one will know any different - and it dilutes his legacy. He was a perfectionist, he was the ultimate creator of material... to hear these tracks leaves me cold. They should not be put out as Michael Jackson tracks. They should be clearly labeled...yes he's singing and wrote them...but they are NOT his sonic vision. It saddens me that this will be confused in the future.

IF you're looking for a further insight to MJs art and interested in getting your hands on some of his Demos and unreleased tracks, then the originals are at least here this time. So it's worth the money for them at least.

And as a review of JUST the music... The tracks here are great. Yes yes we all know the argument that they weren't good enough for him when he was alive etc etc.. but don't be fooled in to thinking these aren't listenable! They're still MJ creations after all and better than 99% of what's out there today!

Also, yes they are "unfinished" demos but only Love Never Felt So Good really has that feel... It's just MJ and a Piano and is actually great. I always wished he'd done an MTV Unplugged back in the day.. how cool would that have been? Hearing his songs stripped back.

All the others tracks are of a produced level. And they sound great in fact.. far better than the supposed "finished" tracks. Songs like Xscape sound like they've been produced circa Dangerous era... So clearly they sound better as Demo's than when given the "2014 Britney Spears Production" Techniques... MJ knew what he was doing, just leave them alone!

A Place With No Name is great, I love the hooks and melody of Do You Know Where Your Children Are...Loving You is a millions times better as a demo...and Blue Gangsta and Chicago should have been on Invincible.

These are a brilliant collection of demos and I can at least thank Sony for releasing them as part of the Deluxe edition...I personally won't be adding the "finished" versions to my ipod though.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 1:46 AM BST

Tin Machine
Tin Machine

4.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?!!, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tin Machine (Audio CD)
For me it says everything about what was wrong in the 1980's that the critics at the time panned Tin Machine....what were they thinking?! Were they the same critics that would have been praising Genesis, Pet Shop Boys and Sonia?!

And it says everything about current lazy journalism that the Tin machine period is STILL said to be Bowie's worst era! Have any of those critics even listened to the record????

For me this is and was Bowies rebirth and the start of the second chapter of his career, as a mature artist. After the disasters that were Tonight and Never Let Me Down - Tin Machine is Bowie screamingly getting back to basics, doing what the hell he wants and playing Rock and Roll again.

And good on him. He'd peaked as a popstar with Let's Dance, he'd done it, he'd been the Glam rock god of the Seventies, He'd been the Avant Garde experimentalist of the early Electo era...he'd even been the Platinum blonde pop star of the 80's....He'd even dare I say sold out to the mid 80's excesses...but this is him regaining his aura as an enigma and credible artist.

For me, the Record sounds amazing....and for me, it reminds me at times of his live stuff with the Spiders and Mick Ronson. For me, some of his best Rock sounds of the early 70's were on the BBC live recording of "White Light/White Heat" and "I'm Waiting for the Man"....Tin Machine seem to be in a similar vein as those moments...

It's raucous, the playings relentless and even off the scale at times... The songs aren't ALL successes but there is more than enough to keep you excited throughout. There are some great songs here too though....

For what, £6...it's well worth it. If anything just to form your own opinion...it's potentially the most criminally treated Album ever by the critics.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5