Profile for P. R. Clarke > Reviews

Bag for Folding Meditation Stool - Purple
Bag for Folding Meditation Stool - Purple
Offered by Blue Banyan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., 29 Jun. 2016
A sort of brightly-coloured (mine is purple) "duffle bag" for storing and transporting a folding meditation stool. Very well made out of strong materials and has good stitching. It has a strong draw cord to keep the bag closed when it is held with the two ends of the cord. Currently it does not have a spring toggle to keep it closed but they are very cheap to buy from e.g. on-line sellers or local craft shops, so I'm considering adding one to my bag. The bag is a bit bigger, but not excessively so, than my folding stool. Perhaps that is intentionally so to accommodate stools fitted with a cushion. I don't (yet) have a cushion on my stool, so I can't confirm that it would do so. I'm very happy with my bag hence the "five star" marking, above.

Denver DVH-7784 Small Multi Region DVD Player with 1080p Upscaling, HDMI and USB
Offered by 3wisemonkeys

5.0 out of 5 stars ND), 13 Jun. 2016
A small, compact and rather plain DVD player but it does what "it says on the box". It plays Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs (other regions as well, but these two Regions are the ones I have to hand), plus CDs, etc. I just connected it to my TV with a HDMI cable (it also has a SCART connector and a USB connector but I have not used these) and it played Region 1 and 2 DVDs without any set-up needed - but it is possible to go in and optimise the settings, e.g. to 1080P, etc. It has the usual fast forward and fast backward controls on the handset: X2, X4, X8, X16 and X32, but it also has slow X1/2, X1/4, X1/8 and X1/16 settings (which is better than my much more expensive Pansonic Region 2 player).

The negative points, mentioned in other reviews, are that: the buttons on the box feel a bit flimsy; the motor that spins the disc is a bit intrusive in terms of "hum"; and the mains lead fitted to the set has a 2-pin Euro plug, but fixed onto that is a (flimsy) 2-pin European to UK (three pin square) converter plug. Once the guarantee runs out, I'm tempted to cut off that 2-pin Euro plug and fit a proper UK plug to the mains lead.

I'm very happy with it, for the price paid (not a lot of money) the benfits outweight the "niggles" that I've mentioned above.

Breath of the Gods [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Breath of the Gods [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga from T. Kristnamacharya, K. Pattabhi Jois and B.K.S. Iyengar., 13 Jun. 2016
I note that: interestingly, this DVD was not "locked" to Region 1, I could play it without problems on all my Region 2 DVD / Blu ray players (as well as on a Region 1 player).

A very interesting film. To me it started a bit abruptly with two guys looking at a peice of rough ground in India and it was not made clear until the titles came up a few minunts later what was going on - as per most US TV dramas which seem to start about five minutes after the actual start.

The film lasts about (from memory) 105 minutes. The director and his european collegue had gone to India to investigate modern (starting from the early 1920s) yoga. There were live interviews, plus historial film clips and pictures dating back to the 1920s, from involving T. Kristnamacharya, K. Pattabhi Jois and B.K.S. Iyengar. Later, the director goes to the Palace of Mysore were modern yoga started in 1920s and on this film has yoga lessons from Pattabhi Jois, B.K.S. Iyengar, plus two of Kristnamacharya's daughters and his youngest son (but not, I must add, T.K.V. Desikachar). A conclusion was made but I won't spoil it by saying what is it here. Plus, as a DVD, it has all the extras: archive film clips and publicity shots that we have come to expect.

I recommend this DVD to anyone that has an interest in the "stars" / Gurus" of modern yoga and how it delevoped in its different styles from the 1920's.

Yoga-Mad Half ToeSox - Blue/Green, Large
Yoga-Mad Half ToeSox - Blue/Green, Large
Offered by Shop@PHYSIOWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for early morning yoga sessions, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Yoga-Mad Half Toesox (Apparel)
Very useful for early morning yoga sessions, when the room has not warmed up and your bare feet are cold. Fiddly to put on and take off the first time: I've only used them once but will be using them again tomorrow - another early morning session. The silicone pads in the soles provide a good non-slip function that works with the dipples on the yoga mat to prevent sliding when its not wanted. The pads are not on the back on the heal so leg stretches are OK. I did not fancy the all black or bright single-colour soxs: blue/green seem to work well for me.

The Body in Motion: Its Evolution and Design
The Body in Motion: Its Evolution and Design
by Theodore Dimon

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book. I'd previously bought a book on Yoga ..., 17 Dec. 2014
A very useful book. I'd previously bought a book on Yoga anatomy which was quite slow reading and I'd not progressed very far through it. In contrast, I saw this book on Amazon. I had a shoulder injury so I had intended to read the chapter (5th) on the Shoulder girdle first. It did not work out that way, it's such an interesting and well illustrated book that I started at chapter one and it was a week or so before I got to the Shoulder girdle; and I've still got eight more chapters to go.

It's not really a medical book with impenetrable amounts of Latin terms. Joints, bones etc are given their Latin or Greek names, but that does not retract from what is an easy book to read. I'd certainly not read an Anatomy & Physiology book from cover to cover, but I will read this one cover to cover.

Birth, Marriage and Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians
Birth, Marriage and Death Records: A Guide for Family Historians

5.0 out of 5 stars Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 31 May 2014
A very informative book which provides a comprehensive coverage of the this important topic from a UK perspective starting from early parish registers (mostly Church of England, but other denominations are also discussed in some detail) through to the present day (post 1837) civil registration. It also covered events and records that took place overseas due to military service and / or service in India.

I enjoyed reading it and thoroughly recommend it.

There are a few illustrations of certificates and parish register which probably come out well on the printed version, but are just too small on the kindle version (I bought the kindle version).

Spyder4Express Display Colour Calibration (PC/Mac)
Spyder4Express Display Colour Calibration (PC/Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable on Windows Vista, 31 May 2014
Quite a nice engineered product, but completely unusable on my system.

I installed the software / drivers, plugged in the device and tried to run it as per the instructions (and in the precise order given). The system recognised the device as the blue light came on the first time, but in order to use the product the software has to be registered. The software has the usual sort of long string of alpha-numerical codes printed on its sleeve; but the registration process would not start: it sat their doing nothing. The manufacturer's web site recomended that in the case of problems, the latest software should the used - but in fact the latest software had been supplied on CD. I tried deleting the software and drivers and reinstalling several times, spending most of Saturday afternoon on these unsuccessful attempts to get it to work. The only difference is that the blue light did not come on. Obtained a full refund for Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2014 4:36 PM GMT