Profile for Phildude > Reviews

Content by Phildude

Phildude "Superspy" (Birmingham)

Girls Back Bow Dress Ages 2-10 Black/Grey/Navy (9-10, Grey)
Girls Back Bow Dress Ages 2-10 Black/Grey/Navy (9-10, Grey)
Offered by adam & eesa

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov. 2016
Speedy service and a great product.Highly recommend.

The Hound of the Baskervilles - DVD (Region 4. Non UK Format, Aust Import)
The Hound of the Baskervilles - DVD (Region 4. Non UK Format, Aust Import)
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost gem..., 8 Aug. 2015
This adaptation of Sir Arthur's classic novel has always been tinged with nostalgia for me,living only in my memory and not seen in over 30years.Try as I might I couldn't find a DVD or vhs release anywhere and I began to think I would only have my memories to remind me of the show that started my lifelong love of Sherlock Holmes...
Well the joy of finally finding a DVD release was overwhelming (region 4 but it plays perfectly well in my region 2 bluray and DVD)and the wait for it to arrive was agonising. But arrive it did and all I can say is Wow!.From the atmospheric animated titles and creepy music to the final scenes of the spectral hound I was transfixed and transported back in time to my childhood.My memory hadn't failed me,the show is still amazing.With Tom Baker and Terrance Rigby shining as Holmes and Watson and a magnificent supporting cast this adaptation ranks as one of the very best.Split as it is over four 30minute episodes it never slows pace and is easily digestible in chunks or as a whole.To most Tom Baker is maybe too identified with The Doctor to be readily accepted as Holmes but I urge people to watch because I promise after 5minutes you will be totally swept away and will only see Holmes.
This brings me to the fantastic atmosphere of the piece.outside scenes being filmed on the actual Dartmoor adds so much to the show and you can sense the bleakness and loneliness of the place.From the windswept rocky outcrops to the murky fog shrouded Grimpen mire it looks just fantastic.And even the hounds effects look impressive for early 80s BBC television...so please give this often forgotten treasure a try,every true Sherlock Holmes fan should own this!

Danger Man - The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Danger Man - The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan

5.0 out of 5 stars Drake...John Drake..., 12 July 2015
John Drake,a man of his time.smooth ruthless and able to smoke in bar without gaining a criminal record.Its usually the later 50min episodes that people remember and readily associate with "Danger man" but this set of the original season 1 still shine bright and never fail to entertain..each episode is a tightly written self contained story with the action buttoned down into an exciting 30min.I still love sitting down,cuppa in hand,to spend an hour or two back in a simpler more straight forward time.Much like "The Avengers" (which I also adore) "Danger man" has entered a mythical 60s that exists on the verge of how it really was.Making all who watch long to have been there.I promise after the first episode has played (The Key,a story of lies and doublecross)you will become a true follower of Drake,a man who was Bond before Connery had even thought of uttering those imortal words.
Networks restoration and presentation of these 50+ year old episodes is faultless and I suspect they look better now than on original transmission.Superbly packaged and worth every penny...so give it a try and remember "Its a dirty job but someone's gotta do it"

The Avengers: The Complete 50th Anniversary Collection [DVD]
The Avengers: The Complete 50th Anniversary Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Macnee
Offered by THE MONSTER BOOKSHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 years of fun., 10 July 2015
Being a lifelong Avengers fan it was with trepidation that I ordered the 50th anniversary box set.I had read a disturbing amount of negative feedback regarding the packaging and the damage it caused the precious disks within,so I sat nervously chewing my nails until it arrived fully prepared to be shipping it back the following day!..well the packaging is on the snug side but the quality of the box is a joy to behold.solidly built and gloriously illustrated with lavish photos from various episodes..my suggestion is to remove all the discs and put them in a separate easily accessible DVD case (freely available on Amazon for next to nothing) just as I have.I can now keep the limited edition box in mint condition and watch the discs as often as I wish without fear of damage..All Avenger fanatics should plump for this incredible set and revel in the fantastic world of Steed and company..don't be put off because you'll miss out on so much.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo Wii U)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by Gameseek

5.0 out of 5 stars return to the magic..., 28 Feb. 2015
I first played this game on original release 10years ago on the glorious GameCube and remember the shear joy of the experience, spending many many hours happy exploring the games wonderful world! So when Nintendo announced a HD re-release for the Wii u I was slightly sceptical about reinvesting in what I considered an already perfect game.But being a commited Zelda head I didn't hold out for long...all I can say is WOW!!..The game looks stunning with tweeked graphics and slight in-game improvements(faster travel across the sea,shorter hook shot animation etc) that really do help the overall playability and Tingle in a bottle is genius!.so all I can say is pull on your hero tunic,unroll your sail,stuff Tingle in his bottle and dive straight into an amazing adventure.I promise you won't regret it because Nintendo have proved you can improve a classic and make perfection better...now all we need is "Ocarina of Time Wii U"

Bruce Lee: Collection (BR) 4BRs -uncut- [Import germany]
Bruce Lee: Collection (BR) 4BRs -uncut- [Import germany]
Dvd ~ Bruce Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruce on Bluray., 23 Jun. 2012
If you are a true fan of the mighty Bruce lee then this is the must have box-set for you.I was slightly worried that being German there would be no English language track,but after umming and arring for a few days i took the plunge and ordered.After waiting with fingers crossed and bated breath i was over the moon to find out that it did indeed have an English track,and the most crisp and clear visuals i have ever seen these films in.Simply amazing picture with wonderful bright clear colours and deep blacks.To be honest it was like seeing them for the first time,a magical feeling.And the individual box covers are the coolest you will see for these films,none of youre stylized photos these are classic 70s movie posters...Brilliant!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2013 6:24 PM GMT

Last of the Summer Wine - Series 1 & 2 [1973] [DVD]
Last of the Summer Wine - Series 1 & 2 [1973] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars And so the magic begins, 21 Feb. 2012
I have just purchased this wonderful dvd and i just have to tell all of the fantastic warmth and fun of the episodes!A magical trip into gut clenching nostalgia.Michael bates is a great unsung hero of LOTSW and richly deserves to be remembered more to the casual viewer.What a collection!

Last of the Summer Wine - Series 3 & 4 [DVD] [1976] [1973]
Last of the Summer Wine - Series 3 & 4 [DVD] [1976] [1973]
Dvd ~ Brian Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars A magic slice of tv heaven., 19 Feb. 2012
This review is a general review for the entire span of this wonderful series.Picture this scene,a cold wintery night in the late 1970's there on the rug in front of the fire with a steaming mug of tea and a digestive biscuit sits a young lad staring intently at the magic unfolding on tv.This is a feeling that i have never forgot and one that i can recreate every time i put one of these fantastic dvds on.If you tire of the endless stream of swearing,sex and violence that seems to contaminate every aspect of our lives at the moment i urge you to purchase just one of these boxsets as the antidote! The adventures of those lovable old men are the only cure you need.Whether they are extolling the merits of a Loxley Lozenge or failing to transport a troublesome mangle you cannot fail to feel warm down inside when you watch these classic shows!Blamire,Foggy,Seymor,truly...doesnt matter who the third man is the effect is the same.Pure Magic,pure gentle entertainment that sadly Britain no longer can or wants to produce.Do yourself a huge favour and let those old reprabates into your life! i promise you wont regret it.

Doctor Who Revisitations, Vol. 1 (The Caves of Androzani / The Talons of Weng-Chiang / Doctor Who: The Movie) [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Why not give this a chance?, 26 Sept. 2010
I can already hear the screams of outrage echoing around the country over this new release.I admit that not long ago i was screaming the loudest,berating the BBC to all who would listen(and to a few who wouldnt).Then when i had calmed down i started to warm to the idea.What got me thinking was "The caves of Androzani".I often watch this story to relax and i was doing just that when an often thought wish popped into my head...I'd love to see how this was made!Now i can!!!This is the beauty of this release.All of those early vanilla releases can now be given the treatment they deserve.Now i admit that i would have prefered the BBC to release all other available stories first,but hay-ho its here and we may as well embrace it because if we dont i bet we'll regret it in the long run because i cannot wait for a proper "Tomb of the Cybermen".

Danger Man - (Special Edition) 47 Episode Set + Limited Edition Book [DVD] [1960]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan

5.0 out of 5 stars Danger man:or how to survive the 21st century!, 25 April 2010
Have you ever sat down on a chilly autum night,switched on the tv and realised what we all secretly knew?THAT IN THE 21st CENTURY THERE IS NOTHING WORTH WATCHING!!! Well this boxset is the perfect remedy for this particular illness. I promise that when you see the slick adventures of John Drake unfold before your quality deprived eyes you will finally know the real reason why television was invented.If you only ever treat yourself to one offering of cult tv then make it Dangerman! And this set from network is fantastic!gorgeous visuals,cracking sound and a nice smattering of extras...Let the magic of John Drake into your lives and let him live again.