Profile for CJ, London > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sugarettes
Sugarettes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not objective enough, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sugarettes (Kindle Edition)
Maybe my expectations were too high but my impression of this book was that it was not professionally or academically or scientifically or expertly researched, substantiated or presented.

Virtually all science and all ideas are just well substantiated opinions. In this case, the opinions were not as well substantiated as other views on nutrition (e.g. read the China Study for comparison).

I do not say the author is wrong or mistaken or anything like that, I just feel that the scientific views in the book are not adequately convincing. The notion that sugar is not healthy and that the sugar industry has a spotty reputation & history are totally believable but there are better books and videos on those angles. This is supposed to be a book that enlightens the reader about the nutritional/ medical dangers of sugar. It does not succeed convincingly on those points.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Screw top, gentle enough for cleaning food? Win!, 26 Jun. 2012
I needed a soap for gym, or more accurately for showering after running on my lunchbreaks. However, I found that regular bars of soap are too slimy and messy and too much admin basically. Shower gels are better but a) they are pricey, b) they are typically too big for my micro work bag and c) NONE of them seem to have reliable screw tops

Screw tops rock for things like bottles of liquid which are banging about in a tiny backpack along with the odd book, towel, suit jacket, work document, wallet, mobile phone, iPod etc.

So big WIN Lifeventure, you are the only company making what I think is a sensible on-the-go soap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and (temporarily) cheerful, 26 Jun. 2012
I was initially very pleased with this item. Nice feel, vibrant colour. However, I soon started to notice how often it was turning inside out and before long the rubber piece came loose from the clasp whilst I was trying to disentangle and inside-out situation - and that was the end of it.

In my opinion, the band does not need all the metal parts. I'd happily pay for a high quality plain silicone band (e.g. look at how popular the charity bands are?).

Carley's Organic Raw Premium Pumpkin Seed Butter 250 g (Pack of 3)
Carley's Organic Raw Premium Pumpkin Seed Butter 250 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by 123 DIRECT LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, local, organic, 22 May 2012
This is good, honest food.

Its organic, its local, its healthy, its exactly what it says on the tin - a blend of raw pressed seed and seed oil.

I've used it for cooking curried dal (lentils), I've used it on brown toast for dipping into butternut soup and I've used the odd teaspoon straight out of the bottle just to get my daily minerals etc (very high in Zinc).

Good, healthy and much easier than buying bags of seeds.

(also, the service is great - I originally received the pumpkin seed one by accident and a lady named Claire simply shipped me two more bottles of the mixed seed one, free!)

Eset Smart Security (2011)/PC/3 user/1 year/Boxed product
Eset Smart Security (2011)/PC/3 user/1 year/Boxed product

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 3 May 2012
I have this and its very good. Simple to use and nice clean interface.

One gripe is that it is so "quiet" that I wonder if its missing bugs or doing stuff in the background without informing me. For example there have been a few occassions where the Systweak Advanced System Optimizer has caught stuff during a scan and left me wondering why ESET missed it in the first place and ASO was left to clean up (and ASO is not even an antivirus specialist application....)

Creative ZiiO 10-inch 8 GB Android Entertainment Tablet
Creative ZiiO 10-inch 8 GB Android Entertainment Tablet

1.0 out of 5 stars no support, 7 Jan. 2012
serial: C6PZ0325124M00031D

model: PZ0325

This tablet has a number of good features but I am in no mood to offer any free advertising for Creative. I feel they have treated their customers with arrogant indifference in releasing/ selling this product in its current form at this time (DEC 2011, early 2012). Maybe all was well back in 2010 or early 2011, but things like Adobe and Android require constant updates and if your device is not capable of slick updates its going to be useless very quickly. Certainly, critical stuff like Adobe flash updates should be wrapped within the existing firmware/ software updates feature.

Issues I have noted (so far):
1) Online videos do not play as adobe flash cannot be downloaded in any reasonable manner.
I tried YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Fox News, CNN, DailyMotion, Vimeo, MetaCafe, various sports websites etc - nothing.

2) Security certificate warnings pop up for almost every website.

3) The device freezes and cannot be unfrozen or turned off. The battery must be left to run down to zero and only then can you recharge and restart.

4) SD card was not working at all. I managed to get hold of apk file for adobe flash via my laptop and loaded it to an SD card. Would not load the app from SD card. In fact it did not even read anything on the SD and did nothing at all.

5) Lastly, and very importantly - beware buying direct from Creative, rather use Amazon. Creative's website led me round and round in circles as I tried to contact someone and file a claim/ enquire about a return. Customer service does not exist. I will happily pay a bit more using Amazon in future instead of going direct to manufacturers. Customer service and returns/ claims policies don't appear to mean much until something goes wrong... then you realise how valuable they are.

Other weird things to note:

The various Ziio-specific sites are quite funny. Instead of having access to the global Android Market, Creative seem to think their own little ZiiO store will do the trick! haha! The store had absolutely nothing useful in it as regards the adobe flash issues I was having.

The packaging has different barcodes on it - one for the top cover and a different one for the bottom section and it (the ZiiO packaging) states that the system requirements for the Ziio 10" are all Windows OS (Vista, 7, XP, etc)?(!)

Brabantia Touch Bin, 50 L - Matt Steel
Brabantia Touch Bin, 50 L - Matt Steel
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars all I want for Christmas, 28 Dec. 2011
Christmas was rubbish this year. Nevertheless, the rubbish bin I bought was outstanding.

Sad but true... I think this thing's performance over the Christmas weekend was among the better moments of Xmas 2011. Present packaging, food packaging, general detritus - you name it - this thing just gobbled it in style. No mess, no fuss.

Its a big bin though, so if you looking for something petite look elsewhere (there is a 30l one I think).

TABTRONICS - 8" WM8650 Google Android 2.2 Tablet PC - Cheapest 2.2 8" Android Tablet works with Flash 10.1 - WiFi , Touchscreen, Epad, Apad, now with working Android Market, Youtube

3.0 out of 5 stars ho-hum for the price, 25 Dec. 2011
**Note: Its possible that some of the issues below are simply due to a faulty unit. If so my review may not be broadly reflective of the product generally. The seller has been responsive and helpful so far. I will update these comments once the issue is resolved.**

***UPDATE***
Amazon have facilitated a refund with the seller and all is well in the world. This product is not good, but then its not very expensive is it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This piece of kit looks great, but the user experience is cumbersome.

Details miss the point here, so I won't go into them (too much...).

Videos and graphics look pretty good. But videos load MUCH slower than on my laptop, even though the two are running on the same Wi-Fi hub signal. The tab will frequently drop the signal and fail to get it back quickly. The tab will frequently drop a browser window and fail to get it back quickly. The tab will die immediately when I unplug it.

Overall then, if this thing had the below I would give it a 5-star at the price:
i) slick and robust browsing and video streaming (perhaps a touch more speed), and
ii) a battery with more than 60sec life, and
iii) reliable Wi-Fi connectivity

Unfortunately it does not have these things, so I will probably have to either pay a shed-load more for a big brand item (Apple, Samsung, Sony) or wait another 12-18 months for the tab business to sort the winners from the losers as regards these cheap Chinese pretenders.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 10:03 PM GMT

Berghaus Spectrum Full Zip Micro Fleece
Berghaus Spectrum Full Zip Micro Fleece

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent under armour, 11 Dec. 2011
This fleece does exactly what I wanted it to. I needed a light layer to wear under my regular outwear (jacket, coat-jacket etc) in winter.

To test it today I put the fleece on under a really light summer jacket. It worked perfectly. The summer jacket kept the wind out and the fleece kept heat in.

In my book there is no need for multiple sets of summer and winter outerwear. Just buy one of these and wear it under your summer stuff.

I would not wear it as a standalone jacket however, its more in the functional gear than the sexy gear category.

1.0 out of 5 stars error, 7 Dec. 2011
I have just received 1 X a adult rain bonnet instead of "Mico Mini "UMBRELLA" assorted"!!

Now is the moment when one regrets ordering online as I have to now begin the process of sending emails all over the place and repackaging and mailing stuff back to Gosh knows where. What a crock of shaizen.

*updated*

The seller has been in contact and, after verifying receipt of the incorrect item, offered to send the correct stuff. When that arrives I will revise the review and post an applicable rating for the micro mini umbrella.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 12:56 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7