Profile for borderstar > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Mnevermind 3: Life is Awesome
Mnevermind 3: Life is Awesome

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little series, 4 April 2016
I'm writing this having just finished Book #3. I think you really need to read straight through all 3 books in the trilogy as one (well that's what I did). It felt like it was one longer story cut into three so that we could hear from Elijah's POV in the middle section. So for now I've added a short review of the series rather than one for each book.

Overall I really enjoyed this, spent a couple of days quite happily reading through all three books in the series. Loved the characters, interesting story which definitely didn't go how I expected on starting but was entertaining and enjoyable. An unexpectedly good read - I don't know why I haven't picked this up before now.

Interestingly, although during Book #1 I was thinking I wanted to hear from Elijah's POV, once we did actually get this in Book #2, I missed hearing from Daniel's POV! So I was pleased when we came back to him again in Book #3 to finish everything off.

The only parts I wasn't as happy with were at the beginning of Book #3, which took me a little while to get into, and possibly the overall ending - whilst good, it fell a little short. I wanted something a bit more...but at the same time I can appreciate how it ended and was ultimately quite satisfied.

Mnevermind 2: Forget Me Not
Mnevermind 2: Forget Me Not

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little series, 4 April 2016

Mnevermind 1: The Persistence of Memory
Mnevermind 1: The Persistence of Memory

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little series, 4 April 2016

Vassily the Beautiful: An ESTO Universe Novel
Vassily the Beautiful: An ESTO Universe Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly fun male/male adaptation of the Russian fairytale 'Vasilia The Beautiful', 4 April 2016
This was a lot of fun. I haven't ever read the Russian fairy tale "Vasilia The Beautiful" that this is based on, so I don't know how it compares. The funny thing was, when I saw that it was based on a fairy tale, I thought it was going to be all sweetness and light - but, um, no - not quite. Yes there's a predictably sappy romance and a sweet HEA, yes there's a kind of cartoon villain and an MC who has a good heart, but it's also set in quite a dark futuristic setting, with drugs, addiction, kidnapping and crime lords and stuff too!

Vassily's step-father was OTT horrid, as step-parents seem to be in fairy tales (where on earth did he come from anyway?! I mean Vassily's mother wasn't meant to be stupid, so what was she thinking?!!! ggrrr), and it was quite awful what he did to Vassily early on. I never really did get why Vassily forgave his step-brothers for their part in it, but he did have a rather ridiculously good heart I guess!

I don't know if I would have liked it so much if I hadn't been expecting a fairy tale, as everything in the first part is OTT drama, and then everything after Vassily meets Baba Yaga and her sons is very conveniently leading to a wonderful ending, but it worked knowing it was an adaptation of a fairy tale.

Baba Yaga and her sons are brilliant, if you don't take them too seriously - I mean what's with the colour-coordinated bikes and outfits?! I kind of loved Sumi though.

Unexpectedly fun read.

The 5th Wave (Book 1)
The 5th Wave (Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 4 April 2016
I'm going to just write notes for the moment on this one, as I'm saving writing my full reviews til I have some time.

An intriguing start which drew me in straight away - the pace worked well for me, including the multiple POV shifts. That is, up until about the halfway mark, but then I have to admit for a while I started to get a bit impatient/bored and my attention drifted to other books I'm reading. I think there was just too much info around the training camp and in reality it was a bit crap in my mind. It seemed to go into way more detail than needed and spend too much time on this aspect, while I was more interested in getting back to Cassie and what was happening with the Silencer.

Actually, the part around the Silencer was the bit I found most interesting initially and so every time we went over to Ben's POV I wanted it to hurry up and come back to Cassie. This did change though once the Ben's team went out on a mission, then it got much more interesting over with his POV!

And I know it was probably to be expected from a YA, but there was some very sappy/cheesy romantic stuff going on when they should be more worried about, like, their lives and the fate of the world maybe? There was a lot of 'chocolatey eyes' and 'opening like a flower' talk and don't even get me started on the stalkery stuff. I'm not really sure how I'm feeling about these aspects, as there's some sort of love triangle/complication being set up here I'm guessing...

When I take some time to consider the explanation about the aliens we learn as we go, I am not overly convinced on the detail provided. There seem to be a lot of implausible parts to their reasoning. I can't really say more due to spoilers.

However, saying all of that, I kind of didn't really care while reading it! Because once I got into it, the action and tension in the last third really swept me along - it was pretty intense and you were right in there with the action as it was happening - and I couldn't put it down. Will be reading Book 2 a bit closer to Book 3 release date.

Strong Side (Eastshore Tigers Book 1)
Strong Side (Eastshore Tigers Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Low angst college boy romance, 4 April 2016
Huh, that was actually pretty good. In fact I really enjoyed it - it was just what I wanted at that point. A relatively low-angst read. I never think I'm going to like sports-related or college boys type stories, but it was good. I know it's kind of labeled as GFY on GR, but it's not treated like that - it's about discovering bi-sexuality (for Jason) and having the courage to come out to friends/family/teammates etc for both of them (so OFY). I really liked Jason & Derek together. Well-written (although could have done with an edit), with sweet, likeable characters. The misunderstanding was a bit annoying, but didn't last too long.

Lucky in Loveland (Welcome to Loveland Book 1)
Lucky in Loveland (Welcome to Loveland Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, low-angst love story - easy holiday reading, 29 Mar. 2016
This was a sweet, small-town, low-angst love story. Very likeable characters, and a nice little holiday story overall. I don't think this was quite for me, but I can see that others might like this more - it's the kind of thing I would quite happily read when I want a low stress, easy read to laze away a Sunday afternoon...it's definitely in the style of the holiday reads you get coming out around Christmas and in this case Valentines, although you can enjoy it any time of the year.

I have to say it was a little too sweet for my taste at times - Lucky and Jack were admittedly adorable together, but did come across a little like teenage girls with their first crush at some points. There was also really almost zero angst - no/low angst isn't a problem for me if the relationship development and characters are the focus, but they have to be really well developed to make up for nothing else happening. The whole story is focused on the characters and their day to day interactions and getting to know one another, but unfortunately I didn't feel we knew the characters as well as we could/should have considering this.

Saying that, I did zip through this read with no problems and I found myself smiling quite a bit throughout.

Aside from the issue I mentioned above, there were a couple of other niggles that stopped this from being a higher star rating for me.

I think probably the biggest issue for me were the inner monologues all the time, rather than a lot of conversation and interaction. One scene in particular strikes me as very much an example of this - early on in the story, there is a scene in the diner, where pages and pages were spent on what Jack was thinking (about Lucky and what Lucky looked like, about himself, about his backstory etc) and I had to wonder what was going on around them - did he appear to be in a trance, sitting in his chair at the diner, while all this thinking was happening? Unfortunately this also combined with a lot of 'telling'. But to really like a book, I don't want to be told, I want to be able to "feel" the connection between the characters. So this element was lacking for me, despite it being a fun little read.

A final note - it definitely needed a more thorough edit. I can usually ignore this kind of thing to an extent, but there were a lot of errors - wrong words used, words in the wrong order in a sentence, many instances of missing opening or closing speech marks etc. It did get to the point where I was finding it a little distracting, as every few pages I had to go back and re-read the sentence to make sense of it. So if you are a stickler for this kind of thing, you might want to give this a miss until a further edit has been carried out.

In summary, this is a sweet little holiday romance and despite it's flaws (and despite my jaded heart), I have to admit that I read the majority of this with a dopey smile on my face.

The Sheltered City
The Sheltered City

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fantasy read that captured my attention from the start, 14 Mar. 2016
3.5 stars if amazon did 1/2 stars

I should be honest and say that I started this back in October last year and somehow managed to put it down at around 90% and then just didn't pick it back up again until this week...so unfortunately I cannot remember all the detail for an in-depth review.

Overall this was a bit of a mixed one for me - there was definitely a lot to like, but there were also a few niggles that kept me from really loving it as much as I could have.

In general though, it was an enjoyable fantasy read that captured my attention from the start - I liked the premise and the characters were interesting and likeable. It was a really intriguing world and also something a little different to the norm.

I immediately loved Amon's character - he had a kind of quiet strength, despite what life had dealt him. And I loved the writing for the majority of the story - it really drew me in and made me feel for the characters. There was no info-dumping at the beginning to introduce us to everything either - instead there was a slow reveal of the facts about the world - this is my favourite kind of fantasy, where you are not given much to go on and you work it out along the way. And then when we meet Caedian, I wasn't really too sure about him at first but then there's this subtle humour & banter between them which I enjoyed.

However, there were a few bits that I wasn't as keen on - mainly in the last third of the book or so and unfortunately I lost interest a little at this point. I also couldn't help but feel that although the world-building was great, there was still so much more to reveal - so many things we didn't know, even at the end. The pace of the story seemed pretty good, keeping me interested through most of it but then the final parts of the story seemed a bit rushed/glossed over, with a kind of abrupt, open-ended and not particularly satisfying (to me) ending. I think if the build up to the end was a little more fleshed out or if we knew this was Book #1 in a series, this wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much.

I will definitely take a look at other books by John Tristan after this one though.

Clean Sweep
Clean Sweep

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a fresh PNR/UF series, 14 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
4.5 stars if amazon did 1/2 stars

This was a lot of fun - something a little bit different to your standard PNR/UF, as it was actually a combination of fantasy and sci-fi.

I liked the way the different races/species etc where described, enjoyed the storyline, liked the world/set up and enjoyed reading about the characters' interactions. Loved the way Sean's werewolf nature was described throughout too.

Great start to this series - will definitely be reading more.

Just a note, there isn't really any romance in this one, although it seems to be being set up to become something in the future.

On The Edge
On The Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PNR / UF series, 14 Mar. 2016
This review is from: On The Edge (Kindle Edition)
4.5 stars if we could give 1/2 stars

Amazon star ratings show 4 stars as "I liked it" and 5 stars as "I loved it". I would say I definitely more than liked this, but I'm not certain it deserves a full 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6