Profile for Sophie F > Reviews

Content by Sophie F

Sophie F

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thin case, 21 April 2013
Bought this because of the great reviews and very reasonable price. I am very impressed with the case, how it looks and how it feels. Would definitely recommend it!

Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking
Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking
by Kaushy Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook, 25 Nov. 2012
I got this as a gift and have been realy impressed with the excellent recipes. Lots of ingredients but very simple to make. I've already tried the Aubergine and Potato curry and Mixed Dhal and they were excellent!

Lonely Planet Central America on a shoestring (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Central America on a shoestring (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

3.0 out of 5 stars Very poor for some countries, 23 Nov. 2011
I used this for travel in Honduras and Nicaragua. I found it to be extremely unpredictable in quality. If you are only taking one guide, I guess it will probably be this one but I there are some drawbacks to be aware of.

The guide is over enthusiastic about everything which makes it difficult to select where is worth travelling to. For example, it recommended Santa Rosa in Honduras for extended stays but there was nothing going on there and the guide had no real ideas for activities. I think it is important to use this guide alongside other resources, such as other guides or internet sites. For hostels, we used TripAdvisor as that allowed us to get a better idea of what the places were actually like. I find Lonely Planets have an unhealthy obsession with decor in hostels-I'm more concerned about the cleanliness and beds to be honest. One hostel which was highly recommended in Leon has got appalling reviews on TA and lots of people saying that LP sent them there and they were shocked by the place.

A really important issue for Nicaragua was that the guide was appalling for restaurant. Every place it recommended was horrendously touristy and normally Americanised. Actual budget options such as comedors were ignored in favour of bars with much more expensive food. My most awful experience was going to their most highly recommended restaurant in Leon and being served the worst meal I had in Nicaragua. All of our food was cold, none of it was special and it was the most expensive meal I had out. You are much better off asking hostels for recommendations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 10:10 AM GMT

Brilliant Online Marketing: How to Use the Internet to Market Your Business (Brilliant Business)
by Alex Blyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for small businesses, 4 Feb. 2011
I bought this book because I had just taken a job managing the publicity for a summer school. It was a great buy because it gives you loads of ideas as well as practical ways of achieving your goals and none of these involve big spending. It had lots of great ideas for small businesses which I appreciated as well as big business ideas to aspire to.

This book opened my mind to types of publicity I hadn't considered, in particular blogging. I think this book will have a positive effect in all areas of our marketing strategy.

I also liked the case studies of how businesses had achieved success through the different routes of marketing. These are a very effective touch.