Profile for UK reviewer > Reviews

Content by UK reviewer

UK reviewer (UK)

Wild Republic 18cm P&C Plush Cat/ Tiger (Grey)
Wild Republic 18cm P&C Plush Cat/ Tiger (Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased., 4 Mar. 2015
Needed a "Tabby Cat" for my daughters "Worst Witch" costume for World Book Day. This was purrfect. Small, soft lovely green eyes. Very pleased.

Do You Like Green Eggs and Ham? (Dr. Seuss Nursery Collection Dr. Seuss Nursery Collection)
by Dr Seuss
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the full story, 30 July 2012
This is a very shortened version of the rhyme so if you're expecting the full version and think this will be a nice format to gets young babies inetersted in be warned. The product description is not clear that it's not the full thing.
The egg is almost impossible to squeek but my kids (age 1 and 3) both love spinning it.
I love the board book format as my kids can't rip the pages but overall, I was disappointed with this one.

Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
by Gill Rapley

3.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Alternative but Blinkered, 19 Jan. 2010
This book offers a refreshing alternative to traditional weaning in "stages" with purees then lumps etc. Especially now the official advice is not to wean before 6 months, it is possible to introduce your baby to a range of solids from the start with all the associated benefits.
However, the book is very critical of other approaches and in my opinion tries to oversell the idea. Many traditionally weaned babies are not force fed spoonfuls of pureed vegetables and are offered plenty of finger foods. It also oversells the practicalities of your baby eating the same meals as the rest of the family. Avoiding too much salt means mostly cooking from scratch and so freshly cooking 2-3 meals a day for the family as well as for the baby is no small task and limits the choices for family meals. In addition, sensible times for the baby to eat are often not so sensible for the rest of the family - for example if the baby goes to bed at 7pm and dad gets home from work at 6:30, finding a slot to eat together isn't so easy.
In addition, the book repeats often how safe it is and how it is rare for a baby to choke if they can get food into their mouth themselves and is sitting up properly. However, there doesn't seem to be any scientific research to back up this theory, the book is based on a very small study.
Having said that, we have used many of the ideas from the book and have taken a kind of hybrid approach. We started on mostly soft finger foods rather than purees, such as roast sweet potato, well boiled veg and soft fruits. We eat together when we can and the Sunday roast is a great meal we have shared from very early on in weaning. When she has food that is best from a spoon, we preload the spoon and let her hold it - either on her own or with some support. We have never put the spoon into her mouth without her guiding it there so no force feeding. I do batch cook suitable foods for her and freeze them so we can continue to eat seasoned (and convenience) foods and I can feed her when it fits best with her routine and we don't have to wait for our meals around her naps etc.
I love the ideas behind this book but don't like the "all other ways are bad" style of presenting them. All babies are different and this approach, or elements of it, will work for some and not others. My advice, read the book, try what makes sence for you but don't be brainwashed into thinking you have to take the whole package or nothing.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 8:46 PM GMT

Clearblue Fertility Monitor
Clearblue Fertility Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 11 Jan. 2010
I bought and used this monitor when trying for my first baby. I was happy with the unit and it was helpful to see your increase in fertility prior to ovulation. This is simply not possible with simple ovulation tests or temperatue monitoring. However, it is expensive and the advice about not mixing up packs of test sticks makes it even more expensive. If you have a fairly regular cycle, you can probaby time things just as well without the unit once you have established what your cycle is which can be done with temperature testing, or ovulation tests.
My unit is under two years old and we are about to start trying for our second child. The unit was only used for a few months first time round and has been packed in it's original packaging, in the cupboard with the batteries removed since my pregnancy. I have got it out and replaced the batteries and it came up with an error code. I 'phoned the helpline who told me the unit is broken and is not under warranty so if I want to contine to use it, I will need to buy another one. Not exactly helpful.
Needless to say, I won't be forking out on a replacement.

Exspect EX696 iPod Shuffle Speaker - Silver
Exspect EX696 iPod Shuffle Speaker - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Portable Speaker Great product, Great value., 13 July 2009
This is a great little product. Okay so the sound quality doesn't match a proper audio system but it's tiny, what do you expect? For the size, it's better than I expected and has plenty of volume.
I bought this to play music to my baby and it's ideal. We can sit outside, I can have it by her play mat or her cot and don't need to turn on the awful music that comes with so many baby toys. It's so small, I can even throw it in her changing bag and take it out with us. Other people who've seen it have asked where I got it from.
One word of caution - it won't work with the new ipod shuffle because you need to use the controls on the shuffle to play & adjust volume etc. On the new shuffle, these controls are on the cable for the ear plugs which can't be plugged in as well as the speaker.
With the shuffle it was designed for though, it makes a perfect little system. The ipod is well supported so doesn't put any stress on the connection when you use the controls. Battery life is pretty good too.
Overall, I'm really impressed, great product, great value.

Oregon Scientific Easy View Compact Clock
Oregon Scientific Easy View Compact Clock

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 13 July 2009
I bought this to replace a very old, cheap travel alarm clock that I've had for years. My requirements were something small that I can see the time on in the dark next to my bed.
It does the job but it's not perfect. The "touch" feature that turns on the backlight and activates the snooze function, operates by rocking the clock on it's stand. This means it can't be left flat and still operated. My other minor issue is that it has a very quiet, but noticeable (especially in the dead of night) high pitched buzz when you activate the backlight.
Other than these minor issues, it is a very good little alarm clock. I am not disappointed with it but it could be better.

Creating Mixed Model Value Streams: Practical Lean Techniques for Building to Demand
by Kevin J. Duggan

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever heard "Lean won't work here, we're too different"?, 1 July 2008
If you have ever been told "we can't do lean here, our business is too complicated"?, then this is the book for you.
The book builds on the value stream mapping techniques taught in "Learning to See" by Mike Rother & John Shook and explains how to apply them in a more complex (realistic) environment. It discusses how to deal with situations where you make a wide range of products each with varying levels of demand. How to group products into families, how to balance the operator and machine work loads to customer demand and how to schedule to maintain flow. If you are struggling to apply lean techniques in a high variety, low to medium volume environment with high demand variation, this is the book you're looking for.
Duggan Inc also run courses on the material contained in the book.