Profile for Mr. L. O. G. Owen > Reviews

Content by Mr. L. O. G. Owen

Mr. L. O. G. Owen (Norwich)

Page: 1 | 2
CDC® Black Slim USB2.0 External Player External USB + DVD Combo CD-R/RW CD-ROM/XA DVD-ROM Burner Drive + Power Cord , Supports CD Burning not Need CD-ROM Drive for Notebook, Desktop, Netbook, Laptop
Offered by colorful digital

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this, 17 Feb. 2017
Very happy with the product - I have Windows 10 on a laptop with no CD-Rom drive and it worked perfectly. I needed it to install a few old games I fancied playing in a fit of nostalgia, and I'm now doing so :).

Highly recommended - for me it was just 'plug and play', I hooked it up, my computer recognised that it was there, assigned it a drive letter (F: in my case, I think) and I was ready to go!

Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad Two Fans Laptop Cooler Fits - 15-17 Inches
Targus AWE55EU Laptop Cooling Pad Two Fans Laptop Cooler Fits - 15-17 Inches

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works! I love it., 7 Dec. 2013
I have a year-old laptop that's designed for work rather than graphics-heavy games. So whenever I used to play anything graphically demanding, my laptop's own fans would go crazy trying to keep the whole thing cool enough. Ultimately they would lose the battle, the machine would overheat and power down and I'd lose any progress in whatever game I was playing. Annnoying.

For months and months I just stopped playing games. I resorted to old retro games, Facebook games... and it was boring.

And then I thought I'd give this a go. I expected it to still crash, but less often, but:

WHILE USING THIS FAN, MY COMPUTER HAS NEVER CRASHED IN THREE MONTHS OF PLAYING GRAPHICALLY-INTENSIVE GAMES. Not once. Not a single time. Never.

I can now play pretty much whatever games I like on my laptop without fear of being cut off mid-game. And it's surprisingly quiet; quieter even that my laptop's own fans.

It plugs into the USB at the back of my laptop and provided the laptop's plugged in: that's that. It does drain the battery pretty quickly if you're just using battery power so I wouldn't recommend that, but plugged-in you're all good to go.

It's awesome. I would recommend it to anyone. Nice work, Targus.

Muscleform 500 g Micropure Creatine Monohydrate - Pack of 2
Muscleform 500 g Micropure Creatine Monohydrate - Pack of 2
Offered by Muscleform

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype., 29 May 2013
I used to use Creatamax Extreme but it was incredibly expensive (maybe four times more than this) and I hated the taste (sort of cheap orange squash mixed with sand - yuck).

Switched onto this and already I love it. It makes taking creatine no longer a chore but just a thing I do as part of my regime. Two scoops of this Muscleform Creatine stuff mixed in with water and you barely notice the taste - it just tastes a bit like water which has been left out for a day, slightly stale but perfectly drinkable - AND NO GRITTINESS!

So needless to say, I shall be using this in future. I feel just as much benefit from it at a fraction of the cost and without the horrible taste and grittiness of other products.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 6:37 PM BST

Acer Aspire TimeLine M3 Ultra 15.6 inch Ultrabook - Black (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.60GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD SuperMulti DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, highly recommended, 11 Feb. 2013
This is a great all-round laptop. I use it for internet browsing, game-playing (World of Warcraft, mainly) and general work in Windows.

It's slim and lightweight but feels sturdy. The keys are absolutely fine to type on and there are all the necessary sockets (three usb, ethernet, 3.5mm audio jack, HDMI and a slot for an SD card (I think)). It also has a recording DVD drive, I'm told - although I've yet to record DVDs on it.

The display is absolutely fine. The sound is fairly good but it's a laptop so it's not perfect, but it's as good as you could expect from a laptop.

My only gripes about it are:

1) The location of the on/off button. It's VERY easy to accidentally switch the computer off - and the first you'll know about it is when everything starts shutting down. It's a pain.

2) The mousepad/trackpad thing is a bit naff - sometimes it doesn't click properly. However it's okay for most things and works about 95% of the time.

Other than that, a great laptop - especially for the price.

When You Cure Me (NHB Modern Plays) (Nick Hern Books)
When You Cure Me (NHB Modern Plays) (Nick Hern Books)
by Jack Thorne

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, sad and poignant, 25 Oct. 2012
Rachel, the central character of the play, has been through a horrific sexual attack by an unknown stranger who is still at large. She has since lost the use of her legs and is bed-bound.

Over the course of the play, her friends/acquaintances and her mother try to talk to her, to open some sort of line of communication with her and help her. But none of them, understandably, are sure what to do.

It doesn't sound like a set-up that would allow for much good theatre - with a bed-bound protagonist and all the action happening in one room. But Thorne's skill as a writer means that the play is actually sad, poignant and really rather moving. It also avoids sentimentality. There is no preaching about how awful rape is (because we already know) and Rachel never really asks for sympathy.

'When You Cure Me' approaches huge, traumatic issues with a feather-light touch. I wish I had seen the the original production but sadly I didn't. Nonetheless, this is a really great play and I thoroughly recommend it.

Bobby Fischer vs. the Rest of the World: Updated in 2009, with a New Foreword and scores of all 25 games between Fischer and Spassky, with diagrams and some chess analysis by Sam Sloan
by Brad Darrach

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book - unnecessary foreword., 15 April 2012
I had heard a lot of good things about this book so picked up a copy.

It's a little odd. The bulk of the book is a very interesting narrative, mainly about the 1972 World Chess Championships. Darrach writes well and it's nice to see actual dialogue rather than just "he said/she said".

But this is very much a book of two sections - so a word about the foreword.

This book was originally written by Brad Darrach. Sam Sloan found that it was without copyright (or that the copyright had been 'orphaned') and Sloan reprinted it, with a 100-page foreword by Sloan himself.

The foreword is rather odd. In some ways it's good: it features photos, news articles printed at the time, all the chess games up until the end of 1972 (the five games Fishcer and Spassky played before 1972 and the twenty games played in 1972 during the championship). But other than that it features what appear to be a series of emails from Sam Sloan to various people about various things. Although it's never made entirely clear what these are or who they're written to.

Sloan tells us all about his times in Iceland - but you get the feeling that he's a minor character in it all; desperately trying to prove that he has some relevance to the story. He met Bobby Fischer a few times but the rest of it doesn't really feel relevant.

Sometimes he'll suddenly sign off "Any help would be appreciated. - Sam Sloan" and you'll realise that you were reading an email. Or a blog post. Or something. It's unclear.

So yes. The 100-page foreword is rambling and largely irrelevant. My advice is to skim read it.

Other than that, Darrach puts together quite a nice book on the subject.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Ear-Canal Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Ear-Canal Earphones - Black
Offered by eoutlet-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 2 Jun. 2011
I listen to about eight hours of music a day so am a bit of an earphone snob. These are the best earphones I've ever owned.

They isolate sound well, provide plenty of bass and aren't constantly falling out of my ears (unlike some other earphones I could mention). They work perfectly with my iPod, computer, whatever. All in all I haven't a bad word to say about them. Highly recommended.

Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones - Silver
Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 Jun. 2011
I've now had three pairs of these - each lasting me about two/three years. They probably would have lasted longer if I looked after them a bit better!

The sound quality is superb. The headphones are comfortable and cover the whole ear, which is nice.

The one thing I've never, ever understood about this product, however, is the 'movie'/'audio' switch. It does nothing. The difference in sound from one to the other is so tiny that it seems pointless.

Other than that, though, a good, sturdy, comfortable set of headphones, these. I won't be buying them again - but only because I'm going wireless. For wired headphones on a modest budget, you can't go far wrong with these. Highly recommended.

De-matting comb, 18 cm
De-matting comb, 18 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets out LOADS of fur, 27 May 2011
This review is from: De-matting comb, 18 cm (Misc.)
We have a long-haired cat who's moulting quite a bit in the warmer weather. Bought this brush to sort out the slightly matted bits near her back legs.

While it wasn't quite able to completely de-matt those bits of fur, it's a really good brush for general grooming. It gets loads of loose/moulted fur out and Bella (the moggie in question) seems to love it - she was purring happily the whole time.

Only four stars rather than five because it couldn't quite de-matt all of the fur, and when I tried to do so Bella got a bit grumpy - so I stopped. Also, beware - the straight bits are very sharp!

All in all, a really good brush for regular grooming.

Proxima Direct® 3 Port HDMI AUTO Switch Hub 3x1 Mini HDMI Splitter / Switcher Hub (3 input 1 output) v1.3b for HDTV/Sky HD/Blue Ray/PS3/Xbox 360/Virgin, 1080P Full HD supported -- Promotion Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than useless, 27 May 2011
I don't usually write bad reviews. But wow. Just wow. This is the most frustrating product I've ever bought.

I use it connect my X-box 360 and my Virgin Media box to the TV. It seems to have three different modes.

The good: when it works (about a third of the time) it works perfectly.

The bad: about a third of the time it develops a really bizarre fault: to watch TV you need to have the Xbox switched on. What? I wish I were kidding. And then, when the Xbox goes into 'sleep mode' (because I'm not using it, I'm just watching TV) - THE TV GOES BLANK AGAIN, meaning that I'm constantly getting up to switch the Xbox on so I can watch TV. Just about the weirdest malfunction I've ever experienced with any piece of hardware.

The ugly: when you press the button to change inputs, it doesn't seamlessly change from TV to Xbox. About half of the time it comes up with this green screen with lines all over it. And when it DOES work, the sound's all distorted. Switching everything off and switching it all back on again seems to do the trick - but I bought this product to make things less of a nuisance and it's had the opposite effect.

None of the appliances I'm using are obscure or unusual. And each appliance works perfectly when connected to the TV directly.

I'm guessing I got a faulty one, but it's such a hassle to send it back, wait for a refund, get another one and pray to the mighty gods of technology that it works.

Avoid.