Profile for Caro-arrow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ordinary Grace: A Novel
Ordinary Grace: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 13 Sept. 2017
A thought provoking, sensitively written book that I enjoyed very much. The characters are finely drawn and became very real as the story unfolded. Although I worked out what had happened towards the end, this did not detract from my enjoyment of a gripping story with many layers. I will read more by this author and recommend this book to anyone who enjoys literary fiction which actually makes you think.

The Dry: The most gripping crime thriller of 2017
The Dry: The most gripping crime thriller of 2017

4.0 out of 5 stars Good atmospheric read, 29 Aug. 2017
A murder mystery would not be my usual choice so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The characters are well rounded and believable and the parched Australian landscape is so vividly described that the destructive heat and drought is brought vividly to life. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that I solved the mystery about two thirds in. I'm not usually good at guessing 'who dunnit ' so perhaps the clues were just a little obvious. Don't let that stop you reading it though as I highly recommend this book.

Gods Without Men
Gods Without Men

3.0 out of 5 stars Self indulgent, 21 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Gods Without Men (Kindle Edition)
What a frustrating book. Hopped about in time all over the place and I didn't feel that the threads pulled together sufficiently at the end. I stuck with it hoping for a more satisfying conclusion.

The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year
The Keeper of Lost Things: The feel-good novel of the year

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 21 Aug. 2017
Nicely written if unlikely story, but I did enjoy it. Would make a good, unchallenging holiday read.

Hosaire 6pcs Novelty designs Skirt Fake Tattoo Sleeves arms / legs stockings stretch Temporary Dress Costume-Fancy Dress Stocking
Offered by QCAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 21 Aug. 2017
Excellent value for money. I had bought just two of these from a fancy dress shop for double the price I paid for six. Bright colours, good patterns, fitted my arms and legs, but I am quite small!

The Death Of Tommy Quick And Other Lies (Lydia Silverstream Stories Book 2)
The Death Of Tommy Quick And Other Lies (Lydia Silverstream Stories Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, highly recommended, 27 Jan. 2017
As a bit of a family history sleuth myself, I began this book with the idea that I would find lots to criticise, that there would be inaccuracies in the details of research. Well, reader, I didn't. The author knows her stuff and is writing from obvious experience of seeking, gathering, collecting, collating information about people and their lives. The curiosity that is sparked by a tiny bit of mystery is perfectly captured and the stories unfold and conclude in a real way, not smooth and pat as real life rarely is. A very enjoyable and intelligent read. I too have uncovered a story in my researches that is almost breathtaking in its twists,turns and intrigues, now if only I could write like that . . .

Golden Age (Last Hundred Years Trilogy Book 3)
Golden Age (Last Hundred Years Trilogy Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 April 2016
I enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but this one was a bit of a task to finish. The story of the ever expanding Langdon family, which had been so absorbing, became sprawling and superficial as though the characters were secondary to the message. And the message is what this book is all about. The financial crash and the evil capitalists, the disaster of climate change taken into the near future, the corrupt politicians, all take the centre stage previously occupied by the Langdons. As a non-American, I found the detailed political stuff incomprehensible and boring. It would obviously resonate more with American readers but I doubt it would be absorbing. This book has the feel of the preaching soap box about it and I didn't enjoy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2016 4:42 PM BST

A God in Ruins
A God in Ruins

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't read if you're depressed., 4 Mar. 2016
This review is from: A God in Ruins (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear, such a difficult book to review. I should have known what I was in for after reading the 'companion' book, Life after Life which was uncompromisingly grim and I'm afraid I found this the same. The writing is fine, detailed, well researched, engaging and the characters alive on the page but the story and the lives of the characters, oh dear. Page after page of relentless misery and depressing outcomes, of gloom, misery, death and destruction. As it's a book about WW2 I suppose this is understandable, but did every new character introduced have to be killed of in some terrible way? Each time a new person appeared, I began to speculate; decapitated? burned alive? flesh ripped from living bones? I became desensitised to the horror. My parents lived through WW2, my father in the RAF , my mother in London and of course there was horror, but also laughter, love, joy and lives lived as best they could. Don't read this if you are feeling down, you'll be suicidal by the end. I will resist the temptation to read any other books in this sequence.

The Mottled Lizard
The Mottled Lizard

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 27 Oct. 2015
This wonderful book falls into the category of reads that I didn't want to finish because to read the last page would be to say goodbye to the sights , sounds and people of an Africa of a different time. Beautiful evocative writing, poetic descriptions that bring the very scent of Africa off the page.

The Flame Trees Of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood (Vintage Classics)
The Flame Trees Of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Sept. 2015
Anyone with a connection to Africa in the last 50 years will recognise the humour and the perceptive descriptions of characters in this book. Elspeth Huxley's memoir of her idyllic, wild and dangerous childhood on a Kenyan coffee farm seem to come from not just another age, but another planet. An absolute gem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3