Profile for Andreas Iacovou > Reviews

Content by Andreas Iacovou
Top Reviewer Ranking: 225

Andreas Iacovou (London)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Samsung GALAXY Note Edge - SM-N915FY - black - 4G HSPA+ - 32 GB - GSM - Android Phone
Offered by BoboCheapPrice

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse to the future, 20 Feb. 2015
I bought this direct from Samsung UK as at the time of writing Amazon were not stocking this phone.

This is basically a Galaxy Note 4. The only difference is the addition of the Edge screen technology. In every other aspect it's the same phone. For the purposes of this review I will simply focus on the Edge screen as plenty of reviews are available on Amazon for the standard Note 4.

Having the additional Edge screen is more than just a gimmick. Samsung have done a really good job integrating the additional screen and making valuable. For example, when in camera mode for example, the edge hosts the controls rather than having to use the middle of the screen. This frees up more space but also adds some nice features. The shutter button moves to the top right acting like a hard button. You can add your favorite football team to the Yahoo sports app and it will display latest news and scores or have Twitter updates scrolling across or simply have it as dock for your most used apps.

Notifications all come on the edge screen, along with several optional additional edges (panels as they are referred to) which you are able to scroll through independently of the main screen. At the time of writing there were 8 available to download from the Galaxy Store with several more in development and one or two now becoming available through the Play Store. You are even able to edit the scrolling text along the edge panel and change the wallpaper.

There is no other phone like it out there. Everyone that has seen it wants to talk about it and it really is cutting edge :-). I have enjoyed exploring what it can do and it's the first time I've been truly excited about a new phone for many years.

The phone deserves 5 stars because of the innovation it brings, the quality of build and the simply unbelievable amount of features that Samsung includes from the finger print scanner to the heart rate monitor to the top end technical specifications. I also love being able to add a 128GB micro SD card to add to the 32GB of build in storage.

If I could knock half a star off however I would because of the battery life. I came from an LG G3 which had superb battery life, easily giving me day and a half with my typical heavy usage. To compare, I do exactly the same thing on the Edge phone, loaded it with the same apps and widgets but find i'm out of juice by about 7-8pm every day. This is a real problem for me and I hope further battery efficiency will come with future updates. The other negative is the occasional lag. I put this down to Samsung's bloaty Touchwiz software but I understand this is a problem with many Samsung phones.

Overall there is enough on this phone to justify the upgrade from the current crop of top end phones. The Edge screen is the first really interesting new feature I've seen on a phone for a long time and it provides enough intrigue and options to make the phone interesting.

Couple the phone with the official Samsung Flip Case and the Edge screen becomes even more prominent displaying relevent information when the case is closed.

Update 26/01/2015
I wanted to come back and update on the battery life issue. Since my review the battery got progressively worse so i began investigating. I noticed the 'Air Wake' feature was draining up to 35% battery life so I switched it off and things improved significantly. I am now getting a full days use out of this phone which is fine with me.

WHARFEDALE SPC10 SUBWOOFER (BLACKWOOD)
WHARFEDALE SPC10 SUBWOOFER (BLACKWOOD)
Offered by Superfi

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value well built sub, 1 Feb. 2015
Compact yet powerful sub. Incredibly well built and really adds dynamic bass to my system. Some nice extras which were a plesent surprise such as the motion activated lights on the volume controls which only light up when you wave your hand over. Great addition to any mid range setup.

DMPBDT700EB Smart 3D Blu-ray Player with 4k Upscaling
DMPBDT700EB Smart 3D Blu-ray Player with 4k Upscaling
Offered by Hughes Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player stuffed with features, 31 Jan. 2015
I bought this to replace my trusted Denon DBP-1611UD which had faultless performance over last 2-3 years. I needed a player with two hdmi outputs, advanced networking ability (mainly to be able to stream MKV from my NAS drive), 4K future-proofing for when I upgrade my TV and most importantly superb picture and audio.

I am delighted with the Panasonic. Aesthetically it looks stunning and its built to a level that you would expect at this price. Its not quite to Oppo or Denon standards but good enough.

The onscreen menu is intuitive and looks great and it streams Blu-ray MKV's perfectly over a wi-fi connection. The wi-fi is incredibly stable and i have not needed to connect an ethernet cable.

I am also impressed with the overall speed (start-up and navigation) of the player.

Picture quality and audio are immaculate. Panasonic have also given the user so many options to tweek settings which is great and unusual to see.

Overall this is a class product and comfortably holds its own against the traditionally top brands for a much more reasonable price.

Verbatim 43489 4.7GB 4x DVD+RW - Matt Silver Spindle 25 Pack
Verbatim 43489 4.7GB 4x DVD+RW - Matt Silver Spindle 25 Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 25 Jan. 2015
I have been converting my old VHS tapes onto DVD. Been using various other brands with no problem but these are giving me all sorts of issues with playback and recording. Will not be buying this brand again.

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE EDGE SM-N915FY 32GB BLACK FACTORY UNLOCKED 4G/LTE SIMFREE CELL PHONE
Offered by GSM-Fonz - (New Year Sale! Up to 90% price Drop)

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse to the future, 15 Jan. 2015

Update 26/01/2015

Baby Tom and Jerry [DVD] [2013]
Baby Tom and Jerry [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 7 Jan. 2015
My 5 year old daughter is a serious Tom and Jerry fan and was delighted to receive some new episodes featuring the baby characters which she hasn't seen a million times. Absolutely loves these and has already watched them several times. Recommended for any fans of the original as well as first timers.

Baby Tom and Friends [DVD] [2013]
Baby Tom and Friends [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 7 Jan. 2015

Samsung Protective Flip Cover Case for Samsung Note Edge - Charcoal Black
Samsung Protective Flip Cover Case for Samsung Note Edge - Charcoal Black
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars good case, average protection, 4 Jan. 2015
Very well made, replaces the original back plastic cover and fits perfectly. It does add some bulk which is to be expected and offers a reasonable level of protection to the screen, leaving the edge screen exposed.

I would suggest that this is not the case for you if you want total protection but is a nice way to cover the phone and protect from minor scrapes and bumps.

The flip can get annoying when trying to take photos etc but you know that when you buy a flip case. Decent case if you like this style, not worth RRP though in my opinion

SoundSOUL (tm) 24k Gold Connector Banana Plugs (Easy Self Crimping, 12 pack)
SoundSOUL (tm) 24k Gold Connector Banana Plugs (Easy Self Crimping, 12 pack)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, 11 Dec. 2014
Surprisingly well made, excellent value plugs. These are solid and so far reliable. Recommended

Denon Ceol Carino Bluetooth Computer Audio System - Black
Denon Ceol Carino Bluetooth Computer Audio System - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, premium, great sound, very easy to set-up, 7 Dec. 2014
Small, premium, great sound, very easy to set-up.
I got this to use in a small space with a HTPC and a TV. I have connected the speakers via the supplied USB cable to the HTPC which worked great. No drivers required, just plug and listen.
I also use them to replace the sound of my TV speakers when watching standard TV. The only input other than USB is analog (aux). As my TV did not have analog output, i simply used the headphone out connection and it works perfectly.

These are fantastic speakers and look great with the Ceol amplifier. Worked perfectly for my specific needs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20