Profile for N. Paulson > Reviews

Content by N. Paulson

N. Paulson "robinhood36" (United Kingdom,Midlands)

A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1 (Knausgaard)
A Death in the Family: My Struggle Book 1 (Knausgaard)
by Karl Ove Knausgård

5.0 out of 5 stars Never dull, 29 Mar. 2016
There is most definitely a gulf between the lovers and the haters. I fall into the former. From the startling opening pages which is poetic in its depiction of the end of life, through the "narrator's" hapless attempts to join the in crowd at New Year to the pitiful death of his father this is emotive and unsparing in its frankness. The tedium is ultimately reassuring, in that it shows that, even if this is classed as fiction, life is not a series of plot points, but an accumulation of incidence, some mundane, some life-changing. We are not all destined to be heroes and statesmen, and my thanks Karl Ove Knausgaard for reminding us all that ordinary is OK too.

Twelve Stops and Home
Twelve Stops and Home
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Guilty Pleasure...., 7 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Twelve Stops and Home (Audio CD)
The band's own website proudly boasts this album is chock full of classics with no fillers.Yeah right!

I can honestly say that I have not enjoyed an album so much from start to finish for such a long time.Yes, there are obvious links to all those MOR bands of the 70's (ELO, The Eagles, a smidgen of Queen) - but The Feeling bring a 21st Century spin to the proceedings - and the ride is so much fun!

Stand out tracks....Strange,Blue Piccadilly,Miss You (the hidden track)...but they all have something to offer, and the rock-out at the end of Helicopter is so overblown it's great.

THE album of summer 2006

The Dark is Rising (Puffin Books)
The Dark is Rising (Puffin Books)
by Susan Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't dismiss this book!, 24 July 2000
I first read "The Dark is Rising" as an 11 year old (I'm now 35),and with each successive reading (it must be 20 odd times now) I feel it's bewitching spell more and more.Ok,so Harry Potter is pretty cool (I've enjoyed all four),but JK Rowling can't match Susan Cooper's ability to create mood and atmosphere, and to be geniunely frightening.... Don't just stop at this one, get the other four too (Over Sea,Under Stone / Greenwitch / The Grey King(*****)/Silver on the Tree....)You'll not be disappointed,but it may take 25 years to get there! Happy reading