Profile for elizabeth > Reviews

Lucky
Lucky
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Lucky (Paperback)
This book is obviously of a sensative nature but is still a novel i think all should read. It is profound and moving. I'd not considered what it truely meant to be the victim of rape, not just the implications of the attack itself but the ramifications of how it has a ripple effect to those around. That others may feel a vested interest in your personal story and feel they have rights to it, implying it is theirs to share and theirs to give input on. I'd not considered how it must surely change a person forever to have gone through such tramatic events. Not considered how others may define a person by rape, that you can be lost in the role of victim. I loved Alice's humour of a very hard personal topic, it changes a person forever but i'm glad to know that though changed, you can still find you despite all the horrors.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to hate it, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I wanted to hate this book before I even read it. All the hype about vulgarity was very off putting. I didn't want to be the type of person who actually reads books about dominant/submissive relationships in the context of bondage. I didn't want to cheer on any material that tried to oppress and dominate women either. But this book surprised me greatly because it is not what the mass media suggest it to be. It's gripping, funny, freeing and a darn good romance. Yes it has some naughty scenes but it's not hardcore by any means. I think the shocking thing about the book is that there is truth to it, that we all are a little perverted and messed up sometimes, though I doubt all of us are enjoying constant never ending mind blowing orgasms - bit unrealistic on that point. I love the style of the book - it's made me fall in love, go giddy kneed and burst out in laughter. I think there is an articulation and intelligence there that isn't often rated, its good escapism that i think deserves a brilliant thumbs up.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants [DVD] [2006]
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Amber Tamblyn
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not profound., 18 July 2013
Said on the box that it was perfect for teenage girls ..... that should have tipped me off that my old haggard self not be able to fully appreciate this film. I just kept finding myself thinking "So what?" and "AND??". For me it didn't explain enough, didn't feel i really knew the girls or their stories, the why's and the what's of them all. Like Lena, her dream guy can see everything about her. Well, i saw someone quite two dimensional who lacked anything real. Same with some of the other characters too, something missing, something lacked. Just not enough of a story to chew on! Obviously with a 90 minute limit and four leading ladies its always going to be difficult to include everything, to tell the story at its best. The only girl i quite liked was Bridget the football talent, maybe because a lot of her character shone due to the physical aspects of the role. I believed in her confidence though the love story even with Bridget was a bit of a let down. Yelling at the screen, just give me more!!

There's No Place Like Space! (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library, Book 7)
There's No Place Like Space! (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library, Book 7)
by Tish Rabe

3.0 out of 5 stars A few flaws., 22 Jun. 2013
Someone ought to tell Tish Rabe that pluto is not a planet anymore. The "trick" to remembering the planets in correct order was just confusing. Could have improved it with easier names rather than Meetzahs for mars, and a better layout of the trick would have made it more straighforward. I don't think it was fluid enough in that respect. Don't get me started on the "rights" which were far too many when they did appear eg "we're spinning right with it right now every day" and "right this minute a million of our earths could all fit right in it". Then you have the "cause" and the "em", i don't think it would have hurt the rhyme at all to say because and them instead.

A side from that, a great little book. My child loves it and it is full of wonderful information that can be learnt quickly with lots of fun. I actually had no idea the sun was a star, so thanks for improving my mind :)

The Cat in the Hat: Green Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Green Back Book)
The Cat in the Hat: Green Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Green Back Book)
by Dr. Seuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a find!!, 12 Jun. 2013
Can't believe i've lived my entire life never encountering this little gem of a book. I honestly didn't think it would be anything special but boy did it surprise. The words, the simplicity, the repetition and flowing rhymes that fall so smoothly off the tongue. I'm now a Dr Seuss Addict and there is no going back!! Adored by children and adults alike. Great fun and a fab educational tool.

Gone (The Gone Series)
Gone (The Gone Series)
by Michael Grant

4.0 out of 5 stars The kids could be us, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Gone (The Gone Series) (Paperback)
I thought "Gone" would just be another Young Adult book. It doesn't look that complex though it is verging on 600 pages. But it's pretty brutal. It's scarey. It's cruel. It's voilent. It's sickening. It's the unimaginable reality. It's frigging crap yourself literature! This book has creeped me out at least a dozen times during my reading of it. I was not prepared for a Lord of the Flies kind of book. The kids could be us. That is one of the scarey things about it. That "darkness" though got me freaked. Astrid kept saying "nothing to fear but fear itselt". Well, tell me no indepth detail about the darkness for 400 pages whilst it looms creepily in the background and i practically wet myself out of fear of it getting near. Big fear of finding out the reality of that fear!!!! The mystery and all the unanswered questions really gets the goosebumps going.

Not sure i have the guts to continue on to the next book - i'm an adult and tonight i need a night light lol

Before I Fall
Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem indeed!, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Before I Fall (Paperback)
This book centres on Samantha on the last day she dies, which goes all groundhog day and repeats and repeats and repeats. Her groundhog limbo is a place of self discovery where she finally finds herself because all the highschool rubbish is of little importance when you are fated to die. Her eyes are open, paraphrasing shakespeare it is better to have seen and lost than to have never seen at all. As the novel stated over and over, samantha is most certainly a "bitch". But as the story unfolds and the connections/histories are revealed, the reader learns to love this once quite unlikeable "popular" girl. It takes dying for her to truely live. I imagine we are all guilty of that.

Something Borrowed
Something Borrowed
by Emily Giffin

4.0 out of 5 stars touching, page turning yet annoying., 20 April 2013
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
I really root for the Rachel/Dex relationship - even though they are acting wrong, its right for them so you don't want to give them a guilty verdict from jury box known as book reader. You will them to find a way and Rachel is so likeable even when backstabbing her friend by sleeping with the soon-to-be-groom. As for the bride Darcy, you do feel she deserves it because she has very little redeeming qualities especially in regards to rachel. But the passiveness of Rachel though understanding is darn right annoying, however had she followed the rules and demanded to define her relationships with Dex after their "accident" (and refused to let Darcy get her way) then the novel would have been quite short. Obviously they drag it out 400 pages wondering if Dex really is the one. I think this makes you wonder too and there are so many other choices that would be better for rachel. I ended the novel secrely rooting for Ethan or Hunter mysteriously turning up. I wanted Rachel to find her own path, nothing to do with Darcy even her Dex, though Rachel met him first. Sometimes you can't go back, something you have to let go and be open to what is a head of you.

Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charity Wakefield

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film which made me adore book too, 25 Mar. 2013
I think this is a amazing production of sense and sensibility - you can really feel the story that jane austen has been trying to build all along. It all feels quite fresh and relivant, a darling little treasure of a love story. Fab job of casting!!

Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump
by Winston Groom
Edition: Perfect Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars missed my tom hanks!, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Forrest Gump (Perfect Paperback)
This forrest is certainly not the tom hanks version as everyone else seems to be pointing out, however it is still a powerful and moving story about a young man who may be an idiot but is certainly not stupid. It shocked me to have a forrest smoking dope, engaging in carnal relations, socialising with apes and mastering advanced sciences etc. The overshadow of the film's success makes it hard not to feel somewhat disappointed in the book though it did make me laugh, cry and ponder greatly. Made me wonder who really is the idiot.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5