Profile for Jimbob036 > Reviews

BBB handlebar tape caps ScrewOn W - Black (Pack of 2) (2.929.779.601
BBB handlebar tape caps ScrewOn W - Black (Pack of 2) (2.929.779.601
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution to sliding handlebar grips, 13 July 2017
These end-caps have solved a big problem for me! As I ride my bike, especially in hot weather, I tend to push the rubber handlebar grips outwards off the end of the bar. Ordinary push-fit plastic bungs aren't strong enough to hold the grips in place, and they just get pushed out by the grips. I tried gluing the bungs in with Evo-Stik, which was fine until I needed to remove one of the Grip-Shifts for servicing, and I had a hell of a job to remove the glued-in end cap! These are the perfect solution to my problem, as they hold fast when tightened, but can be easily removed for servicing by loosening the bolt.

Luckily, they fitted perfectly in my handlebars, but here are some measurements in case your bars are a different size... The diameter of the unexpanded part which slides into the end of the bar is 18mm. The length of the insert is 25mm (minus the expander). The width of the end cap is 25.5mm (wide enough to stop my grips sliding off). The Allen bolt is operated by a 3mm key.

Evolution RAGE Multi-Purpose Carbide-Tipped Blade, 210 mm
Evolution RAGE Multi-Purpose Carbide-Tipped Blade, 210 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in my Fury 3-B mitre saw, 3 July 2017
I noticed that after cutting loads of wood, plastic, stainless steel tubing, & brass pipes over several years, my old Fury 210mm blade was beginning to struggle a bit, and was producing a lot of splinters. I actually have a Fury 3-B chop saw, rather than a Rage one, so I wasn't sure if this blade would work properly- but I couldn't see why not, as it has the same bore, diameter, and operating speed as the Fury blade. The only difference seems to be that it has 24 teeth, instead of 20. In fact, it fits fine, and produces a very fast & clean cut- better than the Fury blade. This item is priced at about £10 more than the Fury models in the DIY stores, but it's being offered at a very good price on here.

Changing the blade in my saw is a little fiddly, as you have to remove the guard link screw to allow the blade to be removed. The other thing to note is that the main bolt is a reverse thread, so you have to turn it clockwise to unscrew it.

Birchwood Casey ALUMINIUM BLACK Metal Finish 3oz Air Rifle/Airgun/Shotgun/Rifle
Birchwood Casey ALUMINIUM BLACK Metal Finish 3oz Air Rifle/Airgun/Shotgun/Rifle
Offered by UK Outdoor Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about aluminium, but works great on steel!, 15 May 2017
I originally bought this product to repair a small scratch on the black anodised aluminium face plate of my tape deck, where the white metal was showing through. I tried it first on a small inconspicuous area, but unfortunately it seemed to tarnish the black finish on the area surrounding the scratch, so I didn't go any further with it. Instead, I ordered a Super Black matt finish marker pen to try that instead. Failing that, I'll just re-do with a Pentel marker pen.

However, I did find out that it works really well on black steel! I have a couple of threading tap handles with black-finished steel knurled nuts, which had become rusty. I treated them with rust remover, which got rid of the rust, but unfortunately also removed the black finish... I tried this product just to see if it would work, and amazingly it worked perfectly on the steel nuts! After treating, washing and drying them, I rubbed some 3-in-1 oil on the surface to bring out the finish, and they look great (see picture).

So my conclusion? I don't know how well it works on aluminium, but it produces a beautiful finish on carbon steel...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Deva DW404/017 Brass Bath Waste with Brass Plug Chrome Finish
Deva DW404/017 Brass Bath Waste with Brass Plug Chrome Finish

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality waste, but make sure you use plenty of sealant when fitting!, 3 Mar. 2017
I really like these wastes, as they look great and have a very good flow rate, unlike the type with the stainless steel top plate & screw, which drain more slowly. The chrome plated brass slotted waste is solidly made and of high quality. But, as others have mentioned, with this type of waste, you do need to seal it well, or it will leak! I use a rubber-based sealant called CT-1 throughout. The important areas to seal are between the plug hole flange & the bath tub, and around the threads of the tube at the bottom of the banjo connector. I substituted a rubber washer from my own toolbox for the plastic washer provided to seal between the bathtub & the top of the banjo connector... In a nutshell, be prepared to use plenty of sealant! Having sealed everything & got it assembled, you will need a wide-jaw wrench set to around 52mm to tighten the backnut- but don't over-tighten, or you will crush the banjo connector, or unseat the rubber washer.

Now we come to the overflow assembly. For some reason, the manufacturer has bundled this high quality brass waste with a cheap chrome-plated plastic overflow fitting! But it works well enough, providing you put some sealant between the bathtub & the back of the fitting. The overflow connects to the banjo connector via a thin concertina-type flexible pipe, which can be collapsed or extended depending on the distance it has to cover. I like to seal both ends of the tube where they slide over the spigots.

Having assembled everything, it's time to test for leaks from the waste & overflow. Provided you've used sealant in all the right places, it shouldn't leak at all. This is a great looking waste with a great drainage rate, and the finish should last for many years, providing you don't use any abrasive cleaners or harsh chemicals on the chrome-plated brass.

ONESTOPDIY.COM Toilet Seat Furniture Rubber Buffer Pads White 7/8 Inch 22mm ( Pack Of 4 )
Offered by Abrafix

5.0 out of 5 stars Bog standard rubber feet for your loo seat!, 6 Feb. 2017
These rubber feet are absolutely fine- one of those basic items, but one which you can't really do without. The top part measures 22mm or 7/8", while the height of the foot is 10mm or 3/8". The supplied screws are steel passivated finish Posidrive type, 3mm (1/8") wide x 12mm (1/2") long. You may be better off getting hold of some stainless steel screws, as the supplied ones may well rust in a damp bathroom environment.

GROHE 46048000 Cartridge with  Silkmove and Adjustable Flow Rate Limiter
GROHE 46048000 Cartridge with Silkmove and Adjustable Flow Rate Limiter

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit replacement ceramic valve cartridge, 29 Jan. 2017
The lever on my Grohe Touch shower valve had been getting stiffer & stiffer recently, which is a bit disappointing, as it's less than 5 years old. Rather than replace the entire valve, I decided to replace the cartridge, which costs about 1/3 as much as a new valve. The most difficult part was removing the lever. After taking out the rubber plug, the grub screw can be removed using a 3mm Allen key. I pulled & pulled at the lever, but it wouldn't budge. In the end, I sprayed some WD-40 into the screw hole, and let it work for an hour or two. Then, I placed a wooden wedge between the top of the lever and the tap body, and by pulling on the lever, it eventually came off. You need to be careful, as the plastic domed cover under the handle can easily be damaged. After this, the domed cover can be carefully flipped out, exposing the front of the cartridge. The cartridge is simply held in place by 2 Philips screws. Having removed the old cartridge, it's a good idea to clean the flange area at the back of the tap to get rid of any limescale or other deposits.

The new cartridge comes with a few extra bits, presumably for other models of tap- an extra plastic lever adaptor, a round plastic ring, and some extra-long screws. The instructions explain what these are for. It's very simple to fit the new cartridge, but it's important to make sure it's seated properly with the silicone gasket sealing against the waterways, or you'll get leaks. The metal plate goes over the front, and the cartridge is secured by tightening the screws. After fitting the domed plastic cover, the lever can be slipped onto the spindle & the grub screw tightened. I smeared some silicone grease over the spindle & plastic adaptor, to hopefully make it easier to remove next time. The valve now operates much more smoothly, and doesn't stick.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, although a little disappointed that the cartridge failed so quickly in the first place. Also, the delivery time from Amazon was a little slow at 5 days. I've knocked a star off for those reasons. Otherwise, I'm (hopefully) looking forward to at least another 5 years of trouble-free service from my valve.

20 Pcs 19mm Outside Dia Rubber Gasket Washer Seal Rings
20 Pcs 19mm Outside Dia Rubber Gasket Washer Seal Rings
Offered by Ascot City

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra-thick shower hose washers, 24 Jan. 2017
These 3mm-thick shower hose washers are surprisingly hard to find. They are very useful for shower hoses which have an extra-deep threaded connector, where the ordinary 1.5mm ones don't give a good seal. They did take a little while to arrive from China though.

Chromium Max 1000mcg tablets (120 pack)
Chromium Max 1000mcg tablets (120 pack)
Offered by Blue Herbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good when taken as part of a low carb diet., 23 Jan. 2017
I'm taking these as part of a low-carbohydrate diet, and they do seem to be helping, by reducing hunger pangs. I find that taking two per day helps, even though this is way above the amount recommended by my diet. They are also good value. My only minor niggle is that they come in a sachet, rather than a pot. But luckily, I had an empty container to put them in.

SuperStrong shower hose Chrome/Black -150cm long- wide 11mm core for max flow - 3yr guarantee

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice shower hose, but not as described, 12 Jan. 2017
This is a very nice shower hose, BUT I've knocked a couple of stars off because it doesn't match the product description. I was after the PVC-coated black & chrome super-strong type of hose (as in the picture), as I had one of these before which lasted more than 3 years. The PVC-coating is also easier to clean than the metal spiral type.

Having said that, it is a very good quality chrome-plated spiral hose with solid metal end-cones. The cones have a rather deep locating area, so you will need washers which are at least 3mm thick to form a good seal. Fortunately two of these are supplied with the hose. It also has a nice wide internal bore of nearly 11mm, so you will get a good water flow rate. The end cone is a rather tight fit in the bracket, so it needs a bit of pressure to push it right in.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase, and it's pretty good value for such a good quality product. But being the chrome spiral type, it will need regular thorough cleaning to maintain its good looks. The up-side, however, is that it's more flexible than the super-strong type.

6V 5Ah Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery. Ideal for ride on toys, torches, alarm systems, UPS & many more

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high capacity battery for my torch, 13 Dec. 2016
This battery is very good! I was looking for a 4th replacement battery for my trusty Draper lamp, and I came across this 5Ah option. This is the highest capacity 6V lead-acid battery I've come across which will still fit in my lamp, and it's exactly the same size and shape as the previous 4Ah one. My lamp has a powerful 55W (9.2A) bulb, so I'd estimate a fully charged 5Ah battery to give just over 30 minutes of illumination time. In fact, it stays at full brightness for around 45 minutes, and is still working (albeit more dimly) after 1 hour. The battery is heavier than the 4Ah one by 100g, weighing in at 900g. But it's well worth it for the extra time it will give at full power.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20