Profile for Thomas > Reviews

Content by Thomas

Thomas

The Escape Manifesto: Quit Your Corporate Job - Do Something Different!
The Escape Manifesto: Quit Your Corporate Job - Do Something Different!
by Escape The City

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact bundled advice, real facts and great tips - all you need to plan your escape, 5 Jun. 2013
I said this would be the last topic I'd read on the subject of career change, exploring other options and so forth. And I think this will be true. I certainly wish this book would have existed a long time ago. Here's what I value in this book:

- personal accounts: you can tell the guys have been going through the same dilemma. Knowing you're not alone is tremendously valuable and also goes to shows that these guys know what they are talking about. Been there and done it. No theoretical bullsh@t. And just yesterday I heard the very same jargon that is mentioned in the book (getting your ducks in a row).
- inspirational pieces: yes it can be disheartening to hear success stories when you're still toiling away, however it really demonstrates that these people also where once in the same situation as yourself, and through taking the right steps got to a happier place.
- practical advice and tips: it can all seem overwhelming, breaking it down into smaller pieces is always a strategy that works. And the book does it for you.

I've read countless other books but I found this unique and would have saved myself quite a bit of time if it only existed earlier - my only complaint :) It combines personal experiences from people who have gone through the same issues, references other literature (think abstracts) in an intelligent manner and adds both inspiration to help you make these next steps and practical advice.

And now for the fun yet scary part: putting things into motion and action! Good luck everyone.