Profile for Rob Brookes > Reviews

Rob Brookes

Internal SATA Power Extension Cable, 0.5m
Internal SATA Power Extension Cable, 0.5m

5.0 out of 5 stars SATA power cable extender, 4 May 2011
What can you say about a plug, socket and a few lengths of wire really. I've recently fitted an external USB 3 hard drive to my main desktop computer but found that the only available SATA power connector was physically on the other side of the computer to the PCIe card which requires an external voltage in order to work. Hence I needed to extend the existing cable by a foot or so. The supplied cable arrived quickly and was a perfect fit for the job. Air flow inside the machine was maintained by the cable having relatively thin wires although these were robust enough for the job they were doing. I give it five stars purely because, a simple cable it may be but, it does exactly what it's required to do. If I was going to fault anything then it would be myself in that I now have no spare SATA power connectors but that's equally easy to remedy should there ever be a need.

Audio Mic Microphone for CCTV Security Camera Spy
Audio Mic Microphone for CCTV Security Camera Spy
Offered by Adapters Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Wildlife cameras without audio, 30 April 2011
I'm sure that like myself, a lot of people use security cameras for monitoring wildlife activity in their gardens etc. A number of these cameras come with cables that accept an audio input but which isn't available from the camera itself. This microphone does the job perfectly well and provides very sensitive audio pickup in the direction the camera is facing. I merely taped it to the camera body under the sun cowl. I fitted one of the small foam plastic windshields to cut down wind noise but the microphone performed well in this respect without the windshield. As it runs from 12 volts which is the same supply as the camera, I used a short splitter cable to power both the microphone and the camera from the same 12 volt PSU. To date it's been running without any issues whatsoever and even into direct wind, the noise isn't excessive and it doesn't drown out bird song etc.

Most certainly I'd recommend this for the task I put it to but I'd say it would be equally useful for those using security cameras for their intended purpose. I now need to order more in fact.