Profile for Tilly Mint > Reviews

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
by Helen Fielding

3.0 out of 5 stars milk chocolate, 6 Dec. 2013
I was a bit dubious about buying this , having read negative reviews. I did buy it in the end and enjoyed it in the main. It's far from deep and the eplot is in many ways just a rerun of the 1st two Bridget books. However tucked up in bed after a day at work it felt like eating a bar of milk chocolate, comforting, untaxing and easy to finish. I loved Bridget back in the days and was glad to meet her again. I could have done without the twitter bit and some parts were just daft, and would have liked more info about her life with Mark and the immediate aftermath of his death, but don't regret buying it.

First Term at Malory Towers
First Term at Malory Towers
by Enid Blyton

5.0 out of 5 stars my fav childhood books !, 2 May 2010
I have just realised that these books are back in print and shall buy them just for nostalgia ! I LOVED them as a child and was heartbroken as a grown up teenager when unbeknown to me my brother donated my collection to his bloomin school fayre (never got over it sniff and he's never heard the last of it ;o)
Don't know if at aged 40 I'll enjoy them as much but I might have a try at reading them again.

My Best Friend's Girl
My Best Friend's Girl
by Dorothy Koomson

3.0 out of 5 stars a three star for me, 1 May 2010
This review is from: My Best Friend's Girl (Paperback)
Not bad, I couldn't put it down, but then a book has to be really bad for me to put it down. It started off really well (or really sadly) with Adele speaking and the description of her crying on the train platform and being comforted by a random business man had me in tears. The idea was original, but parts were not really believable, I mean why didn't Adele pay someone to physically go and tell Nate (the child's father) or Kamryn that she was dying ? Yes there was quite a bit of repeating, blue eyes, how loved is this kid etc etc, but other parts were sensitive. On the whole I enjoyed it and as chick lit goes it wasn't bad .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2010 11:18 PM BST

Mistress Of The Art Of Death: Mistress of the Art of Death, Adelia Aguilar series 1
by Ariana Franklin

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't know much about 12 century history so I enjoyed it !, 1 May 2010
Spoiler alert !!!! don't read this if you haven't read the book ..it'll give the end away !

As I wouldn't be able to tell what was accurate or not concerning the historical setting I took this book at face value and really enjoyed it. The end of the book with it's "description" of the childrens' murder (the bit where they go and get the piglet..yikes) and the death of the guilty nun, was quite dark and gruesome and as someone said not for the faint hearted but the rest of the book was interesting , fun and with lots of rich characters. It was the first book I've read by this author and I shall be buying more me thinks.

Hold Tight
Hold Tight
by Harlan Coben

3.0 out of 5 stars page turner, but takes the easy way out ending wise, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Hold Tight (Paperback)
Fast paced read that had me sitting up far too late inti the night to finish the book, the end was unfortunately a little disappointing, too tame and wishy washy, I've had the same feeling before about Coben's books.

Education, Edukation, Edukashun
Education, Edukation, Edukashun
by James Rainsford

2.0 out of 5 stars Finding it hard to finish, 6 Mar. 2010
Bought this as saw a good review on amazon forum, but I'm finding it a bit hard to "wade" through I'm afraid, though some bits have made me giggle.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2010 9:44 PM BST

Mrs Fisher's Tulip
Mrs Fisher's Tulip
by Melanie Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 6 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Mrs Fisher's Tulip (Paperback)
I really loved it !Really refreshing and took me back to childhood... has Melanie Hughes written anything else ? I'd never heard of her before and can't see any other books by her ?

We Are All Made of Glue
We Are All Made of Glue
by Marina Lewycka

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but story came a bit unstuck at times, 6 Mar. 2010
Just finished this book which I found fun , with interesting and enchanting characters. It was quite informative too, concerning Isreal and Palestine, and I found out something new about Denmark and the way the Danes all stuck together in WW2 to protect "their" Jews , (this has spurred me on to find out more).The book started off really well I felt.
On the down side I felt the end was a little weak and conveniant, I'd have liked to have found out more about Mrs Shapiro's youth, and felt the story line about "past pain" didn't really amount to that much and could have been exploited more. The story line about Ben is also weak imo, as the mother of a 16 year old boy I found the "poor broken ben " bit REALLY annoying, while the author describes a typical teenager that I can totally relate to, I can't imagine how someone as caring as "Georgie" is portrayed would just shrug her shoulders, sigh and hope her sons strange feelings and lack of friends would pass, especially after a move and a divorce. Most people would at least told his father....never mind have a few sleepless nights over it...

On the whole a good read though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2010 2:50 PM BST

All You Need Is Love
All You Need Is Love
by Carole Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, holiday read, 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: All You Need Is Love (Paperback)
It's a 4 star "chick-lit" book. Easy to read on the beach, and as I'm from liverpool originally I enjoyed it if only because it talks about my home town. Nice romantic story, nothing too deep ;o)

Remember Me?
Remember Me?
by Sophie Kinsella

4.0 out of 5 stars ok...easy fun read, 29 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Remember Me? (Paperback)
Good pick me up feel good read, but nothing very original concerning the story line.

Page: 1 | 2