Profile for Mr. R. Tough > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Tough

Mr. R. Tough (Cleveland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Lake
The Lake

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't a bad book, it flows nicely and is very well ..., 17 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The Lake (Kindle Edition)
Well what can I say about Sheena Lambert's The Lake. It isn't a bad book, it flows nicely and is very well written. The problem I had was, I decided to read it because it was supposed to be a detective/murder book. I suppose it was but the murder seamed more like the setting for the real story. The story about the Casey family, Peggy, Carla Jerome and Hugo and their lives and how they involved the Anglers Rest pub in a small village in Ireland called Crumm. The story is more of a family drama with a new love interest in the shape of Detective Sergeant Frank Ryan who is sent to investigate the murder of a young woman who was found buried in the silt of a lake when the water receded during an exceptionally long, hot summer. The book is an interesting study of the Casey family, the lives they lead and the ones they would wish to lead, with the murder investigation going on in the background. The emotional pull between Peggy Casey and Frank Ryan is well observed but fails to develop sufficiently to be of real interest but the murdered girl has major ramifications for the Casey family. The book lets this develop in the background which is disappointing but the climax is satisfying except for the lack of any real completion of the love interest. This just seams to fizzle out which is a shame. So it was not much of a murder detective book or a love story but there is a lot of interesting dialogue as the story develops.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Niggles things like pressing to open something on the dsektop only for ..., 18 Sept. 2014
I have had so much trouble with this irritating phone. Niggles things like pressing to open something on the dsektop only for the screen to jump to another page, or just do nothing. It even opens another app on the opposite side of the screen. Typing is a nightmare. Even with a stylus you can try and get a particular letter three four even five times. Often you have to press the letter next to it. Then there is the opening of apps all by itself. You turn on the phone at the start of the day to find some obscure app has opened or it as gone to some strange setting. Then there is the button tp turn the desktop light off only for it to mute the phone. I know it was a very cheap phone but perhaps I should have read the name better Doo Gee or dodgy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 4:35 PM BST

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle I like, Amazon was a real pain, 24 May 2014
I ordered a Kindle from Amazon on 18th May 2014. I tried to get it using their Supersaver Free Delivery. It kept showing "Preparing for Dispatch" for days and so on 22nd I cancelled the order and bought on at Argos. I think it is bad practice for Amazon to delay dispatching orders for so long. I think they are trying to force people to either pay for delivery or use their expensive Prime service. What ever the reason, I think it is very bad practice and show their contempt for customers. The items I ordered were all in stock. I didn't expect them the next day after the order but did expect them to be dispatch in a reasonable time.

As for the Kindle, I like it now I have configured it the way I want it to look. I have rotated the screen view to landscape so I can increase the font size and still get an acceptable number of words on each line. It is nice and light to carry around and the print looks nice and crisp.Navigation is easy once you get the hang of things. The user guide could be a bit better but the system is quite intuitive.

I have lots of Kindle Ebooks which I read from my computer. I tried once taking a small computer with Kindle on, to read my books whist out in a coffee shop. It wasn't a good experience.That is why I decided to buy a Kindle. I think I will do more reading on my new Kindle rather than via the computer.

Nespresso U Matt Coffee Machines, Red by Krups
Nespresso U Matt Coffee Machines, Red by Krups

5.0 out of 5 stars Good coffee, good machine, good price, 12 April 2014
I love my Krups Nespresso U Mat machine. It makes great coffee in a very short time. It comes with a great selection of Nespresso coffee pods to get you started and there are some great coffees in the pods.
The only problems I had was getting my tall latte glasses underneath which meant either using a smaller cup and transferring the coffee to my preferred cup or using another cup all together. The solution was simple, I just put the machine on a nice piece of wood, not very thick but long and wide enough for the machine to fit securely. I know get my favourite glass cups under the spout without any problem.
I might have docked a point for the price of the coffee pods but I knew these before I bought the machine and Nespresso Club service is excellent so I suppose you get what you pay for.
All in all a very good buy for a coffee lover who doesn't want the bother, mess and time to make a good cup of coffee with my old espresso machine.

BT Hub Phone 2.1 With HI-ds Black
BT Hub Phone 2.1 With HI-ds Black
Offered by Derek Souter

3.0 out of 5 stars BT Hub Phone, 6 Jun. 2011
This phone has been a little disappointing, It is a bit flimsy and slow to use. The sound quality isn't as good as I was led to believe. I bought ther phone to keep in touch with my friend in France and to get cheaper calls to mobiles. BT have this annoying habit of charging a connection fee so, even if you have a very short connection, you get clobbered with a relatively high charge. The call will be more economical if you make long calls but prove very expensive for short ones. This is not the fault of the phone of course and I think Skype, the other phone I considered, does has the same connection charges. The service from the sender could not be faulted and the phone arrived very quickly and just as advertised.

Nokia C3-00 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Grey
Nokia C3-00 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 1 May 2011
I considered getting a Blackberry until I saw this phone. It claimed to do just about everything a Blackberry does. It does look very similar to a Blackberry but looks are so misleading. It started off quite well but within days things it was supposed to do just stopped working like alerting me when emails arrived. When you open an email, more often than not, only the heading opens, you cannot read the message. You have to go online to see the message in the browser which is a very slow, painful process. You cannot get any of the great Apps that are available to Blackberry, Iphone or Android phones. It is really rubbish as a smart phone which is what it is pretending to be. So if you are looking for a smart phone or a Blackberry, don't waste your money on this Nokia. Even Apps for Nokia are not available for this model. I wish I had gone for the Blackberry, I won't be buying Nokia again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2011 5:01 PM GMT

How to Lose Body Fat
How to Lose Body Fat
by Ellington Darden

5.0 out of 5 stars Second hand book, 1 May 2011
This review is from: How to Lose Body Fat (Paperback)
Book arrived in excellent condition in good time from the US. The book was as described and I am very pleased with the seller and this transaction.

9063 Meter USB Printer Cable Unpacked
9063 Meter USB Printer Cable Unpacked

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to standard, 2 Feb. 2011
I have had this phone for a month now and wish I had not been taken in by the specifications it is supposed to have. Yes they are there, email, wifi, Facebook, internet, etc, they just are not very good. When it first came and set up my email accounts on it, it dutifully gave me a little tone to let me know a new mail had arrived. That didn't last long, now I have to go into the email account before it informs me of new messages. When I try to open the message all I get is the heading, the body of the message is blank. I have to go to the computer to read the message. Then it just stops using the wifi and I have to turn the phone off and back on again to start it. Facebook is slow and cumbersome as is the internet. Even though I was accessing these features through my wifi system, it was still using my phone network costing me connection charges.

The main reason I bought this phone was for these services so I could keep ion touch easily on the move. I wish I had saved up a bit more and bought a Blackberry. This phone is not of merchantable quality. I don't think Nokia are able to match the new breed of smartphone. It is a real disappointment.

Kenwood JK880 Iris Kettle
Kenwood JK880 Iris Kettle

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Kettle, 28 Sept. 2010
Bought this kettle to replace an expensive Phillips Kettle which leaked. Although not as powerful as the other it does the job we want without any problems. I bought this kettle some months ago and it works fine. Why pay more for a kettle that will probably go wrong just as quickly as a cheap one (if not quicker).

Cleopatra to Christ: Jesus was the great grandson of Cleopatra .............. ............ Scota, Egyptian Queen of the Scots: Scotland was first ... of an Egyptian Pharaoh and His Queen
by Ralph Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleopatra to Christ, 28 Sept. 2010
I bought this book on behalf of a friend. He is very impressed with the book and the delivery. A good read at a good price - what more could you ask.

Page: 1 | 2