Profile for N. Clark > Reviews

Content by N. Clark

N. Clark "Nick" (London, England)

Defenders
Defenders

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made with great replayability, completable for free, and worth the mid game grind, 16 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Defenders (App)
This is a pretty decent tower defense game. The monsters and towers are varied, and the rounds play very smoothly. It is also pretty hard at later levels and I often find myself agonising over tower placements in order to try and win, which is a good thing! The graphics are also nice even on my non-HD Kindle, so it is nice to watch the monsters get decimated (though it is the gameplay that will keep you coming back).

There is a premium currency you can buy, but they give it away very freely for completing quests. I have played 4 or 5 rounds every day for a month and been able to buy everything available using the 'free' premium currency I aquired. You would only ever need to spend any money if you wanted to rush complete the game very quickly, but it is entirely possible to complete every aspect of the game for free.

The only downside would be that mid-game before you have aquired/upgraded all the top towers, you will need to grind the side levels to make cash, and also wait for specific elite towers to be looted or appear in the shop. As I only play it casually, this is not an issue to me and I am happy to just smash out a few levels before sleeping, but it is no Kingdom Rush where you can complete the game in one sitting if dedicated.

Once you unlock the heroic levels is when the game becomes its best, the 250 wave missions mean you can create humongous defenses, and strategies really start to matter on the campaign. I have played 20+ hours and reckon I will get another 10 hours or so out of it before completion, but I plan on keeping the game for the odd battle in the future when stuck out shopping or other times of need.

I have bought big budget games on my computer that I have ended up playing less than this, so am pleased to give it 5 stars.

Dark Space
Dark Space

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible science, badly edited, odd story choices, but strangely compelling., 30 July 2013
This review is from: Dark Space (Kindle Edition)
This book has positive points and negative points, and to me the negatives outweigh the positives for a book I have paid money for instead of a free download.

As others have pointed out, the complete lack of any laws of physics really broke all immersion I had in this book. Cases where characters are in the vacuum of space, bleeding through their space suit? Explosions in space? Also, a really odd use of very small distances when explaining fights that have been previously explained to be going at tremendous speeds. There are many such examples and while this may not bother everyone, for me my formal education just screams at me every time I experience something like this, perhaps I am too literal minded.

The editing is also quite bad. At one point a character calls the main character by his true name when they were absolutely not supposed to know, then switches back to using his alias again. To me that is just lazy. Also the use of scenes are repeated through the book, the character unbelievably shooting a missile traveling at great speed and great distance with a blind shot from a laser. Twice. Again this seems lazy to me. Near the end of the book it also feels very rushed, there is a blatant overuse of adjectives and sentences that are entirely irrelevant to the plot or any character building, leading it to read like one of my early school essays where I would waffle just to fill up the word count. If this has all been fixed since I bought this book a few months back, then I apologize.

Also, some aspects of the story seem very contrived, where characters make inexplicably bad decisions, which all seem in order to march the story to a place the author wants the plot to go. These could have been handled so much better and the lack of any explanation just made me annoyed at the characters disregard for any normal straight forward logical protocols, and gave the book a very unpolished feel for me. Discussions between characters near the end are also very clunky and again feel rushed and solely used to move the plot along, and does not build up rapport between them.

Yet I did like the book in some respects, the story concept is very interesting and I enjoyed following the overall events. The balance between action and story telling was also well mixed, helping the book flow and avoiding any boring moments. These redeeming features stop my review from dipping down into the dreaded 1 star territory.

However, I will not be buying any more of this series. The lack of any basic laws of physics is too immersion breaking for my tastes, and the whole feeling that the book was very rushed at the sake of character development, plot development and editing, leaves me unconvinced that I should treat this as a serious series to invest more money in. I am sorry to leave a largely negative review, but if I find out in the future these issues are resolved I may have a look back on this series. I can only wish the author all the best in the future in developing this story and his writing skills.

Fair effort, but fundamentally broken and rushed. 2 Stars.

Draper 49432 33 m x 50 mm Black Duct Tape Roll
Draper 49432 33 m x 50 mm Black Duct Tape Roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 21 Dec. 2010
I lead a busy life, I work and am married with kids, so I do not get as much time as I would like to spend enriching my own life instead of just looking out for the family.

Yesterday morning this all changed when the mail arrived, with a package containing my very own roll of Draper Black Duct Tape. It is highly versatile and will not break no matter how hard its tugged upon, and it stays stuck on outside in the rain or under an ice cold punishment shower just as well as it does in in the basement. It is incredibly child friendly too, I left my usually mischievous kids alone with the duct tape for 14 hours today, and they had barely moved a muscle by the time I returned. I will definitely be ordering more of this fine product, and hope it will lead to regular self enrichment sessions.

Become a free man today, this product is a must have for the household or workplace.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 8:23 AM GMT

The Heart Of Myrial: Book One of the Shadowleague
The Heart Of Myrial: Book One of the Shadowleague
by Maggie Furey

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer well clear, 30 Nov. 2010
This book is terrible.

While the plot is not the worst I have read, the characters and their interactions make it almost unreadable. They are completely underdeveloped which just leads to annoyance at their fickle nature rather than gaining interest into their plights.

This is purely down to bad writing style, the author clearly unable to create any kind of meaningful rapport between them, instead relying on the completely shoddy and cringe worthy method of directly telling you their relationship statuses with each other very early on, instead of letting them build naturally.

This in turn leads to further annoyance when she does have them talk with each other as it feels very contrived, and makes their decisions and dialogue seem to verge on the ridiculous as you feel absolutely no compassion towards their poor decisions and flawed character traits.

In the two weeks it took me to read I had had to put the book down and stop reading on 6 or 7 occasions because it got so cringe worthily bad, and ended up having to throw it away as I felt embarrassed to even have it in my house, and was not feeling cruel enough to pass it on to a charity shop.

Vehicles & Animals
Vehicles & Animals
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars All time classic album, 30 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Vehicles & Animals (Audio CD)
Having followed Athlete from thier start, I perhaps have a more biast view on this album than thier second, thinking it far superior. If you liked Tourist, hopefully you will love this album. This album shows Athlete trying to find themselves, and the result is an album full of completely different songs, all of which are pulled of spectacularly. Sadly I found thier second album (Tourist), though much better produced, much less diverse, they took the 'sound' from the few songs that did well from Vehicles and Animals and repeated it over and over to make quite a dull album, compared to the frivolous and different sounds of the songs shown in Vehicles and Animals.

Hopefully Athletes 3rd album will move back to the more experimental music making shown in this album, yet keep the richer and well produced sound of the second album.

Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion Expansion Pack (PC CD)
Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion Expansion Pack (PC CD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing New Challenge, 5 Oct. 2005
Having played Rome Total War since it was released, and also the downloadable modification Rome Total Realism, I found the game increasingly too easy, getting the same results every time, even played on the hardest settings.
Barbarian Invasion is a refreshing addon to one of the best strategy games there is, and contains many hours worth of struggle and joy, either defending the glory of the Roman Empire, or attacking it with hoardes of warriors.
If you like RTW, get this expansion!

Imperial Glory (PC DVD)
Imperial Glory (PC DVD)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not very good., 3 Jun. 2005
I like this game, but then again i'm really into the Napoleonic era so i would. I based my view on this game to Rome: Total war, and to me its no in way as good as it.
The battles lack the amount of tacts needed such as in RTW, and the voice of the advisor telling you that you are winning the battle every 3 seconds can get rather annoying.
Also the play life of this game can be considered quite short compaired to that of RTW, as after playing the 5 campaign countries on hardest i cannot see myself playing them again.
But there are good points, like the interation with object on the battlefield, hiding your men in houses and things, and the diversity of things that can happed int he game, so you never know if you have won till you win, (often on RTW i would know if i had won within about 10 rounds)
So in general the game is good, but not very good. If you like the Napoleonic era and strategy games, buy this game. If you want a good strategy game and havent played Rome: Total War, get that instead.