Profile for LDJ > Reviews

Content by LDJ

LDJ "Leedjones.co.uk" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
1byone Professional Touch Digital Kitchen Scale Postal Scale Cooking Scale Food Scale, Electronic Scale, Elegant Black Tempered Glass, 11lbs (5kg), Black
Offered by SeedPower

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 5 July 2017
A review of this product can be as small and simple as the product itself. Great looking, incredibly easy one-button use and perfectly reliable and accurate readings. There is no reason to buy anything else. Just brilliant!

SANNCE 4CH 1080P PoE NVR HD Security Camera System w/ 4 2.1 Megapixels 1920*1080P Weatherproof CCTV Bullet Camera, Power Over Ethernet, Smart Recording, Quick Scan QR Code Quick Remote Access
Offered by SMG-SANNCE MINDKOO GLEDTO Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent cameras, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE NVR and support, 5 July 2017
While the cameras are of good quality and the image is clear, the NVR is TERRIBLE. Software is a nightmare to use, riddled with bugs (buttons just not working when you click them is just one example) and just crashes and reboots constantly - i'm talking every hour to hour and a half.
Technical support is absolutely abysmal, there are no new firmware updates being published to fix the bugs and they try and push you to install an IE plug in to view the content which is incompatible with most modern operating systems and a massive security risk anyway.
Avoid this device until the manufacturer sorts out its support, the many bugs and the remote viewing in a browser without plugins!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2017 4:21 AM BST

The Guardian
The Guardian

5.0 out of 5 stars Great varied news content, 17 Nov. 2016
This review is from: The Guardian (App)
Nicely done with lots of options and variety of content. Would be nice if this was human read (a la sky news) but great nonetheless

Nest Stand for Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
Nest Stand for Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
Offered by LIFE SAVER

3.0 out of 5 stars A good stand but massively overpriced., 20 Oct. 2016
A nicely built stand with good design and well packaged. The end result is a sturdy and classy stand complementing the beautifully engineered nest thermostat. It is, however, hugely over-priced for what it is. It should be a £9.99 item, not triple that price. Sure, you dont NEED a stand, but its nice to have one to keep the cables hidden and keep portability.

Its times like this that I wish I had a 3D printer as you could make a stand for this for a couple of pennies. Unfortunately for those of us without, there is little alternative to this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2016 2:57 PM BST

Garmin Vivoactive HR Smartwatch GPS Black Regular 010-01605-00
Garmin Vivoactive HR Smartwatch GPS Black Regular 010-01605-00
Offered by BEST WATCH

5.0 out of 5 stars So nearly perfect in so many ways, 18 Oct. 2016
I’ve been using this watch for about a month now with 24/7 wear. As a keen runner who has used the Nike+ tracking for over ten years, it takes a lot to ditch all that history and data but I haven’t regretted it for a moment.
The watch does so much and does it all pretty darn well. First, as a runner this is absolutely superb. The most astonishing thing about this watch is how quickly it acquires a GPS lock. My old Nike+ sports GPS watch could take a few minutes to get a lock sometimes, which when you’re waiting to run in the cold and wet was a massive pain. I think the longest I’ve ever waited on this watch is about ten seconds. It feels almost instant! You’ll get a prompt at each mile marker (configurable) and the whole running experience is superb. My only gripe is that there is no real capacity for interval training. Some of the more expensive Garmin watches let you set up custom interval routines, but for some reason this does not. This feels like a very artificial limitation but something Garmin want to use to differentiate the watches twice the price.
The device will also track indoor activity – gym cardio session, treadmill, rowing, biking is all tracked and works really, really well. Its nice now that everything is captures as I tend to mix up running and gym days and a lot of that was going un-logged before with the Nike+.
While you’re doing any of this the watch is constantly monitoring your heart rate. This provides great insight into how hard you’re working and general fitness levels as you can see your resting heart rate (RHR) at any given time. This has added more dynamics to my workouts as I can see my training zone much more accurately then before. Its also fascinating to see your heart rate over-night while asleep and wonder what the fluctuations were!
Speaking of sleep, the device does sleep tracking which I’m yet to fully trust. Some nights when I feel like I’ve had a solid nights sleep it claims I’ve had almost no deep sleep. Others when I’ve led awake for hours it seems to think I was in a light sleep state. It does, however, track ‘awake’ periods accurately. More testing needed on the validity of the sleep data I think before I trust this information fully.
Another ‘not to be trusted’ is the stair count. I can walk up the stairs in my house ten times and it would probably only track 2 or 3 of those. I cant figure out the pattern as to why. The stairs in the office though, track almost perfectly. I’m not sure if this is just tracking ‘altitude’ climed and then trying to factor that down to the equivalent staircases, so walking up a few steps may trigger a stair climb as you’ve passed a given height threshold. Not sure but would make sense.
Stairs, like steps and all-round activity levels are constantly measured and you’re given a daily goal to reach. This is constantly adjusted so if you regularly smash through this goal it’ll keep increasing to make the challenges more taxing. As you hit them regularly you’ll get ‘streaks’ whereby it’ll track how consistently you hit your goals. Gamification of fitness at its best.
The unit is fully waterproof and I’ve worn it in the pool (I haven’t tried tracking strokes though) and shower – it’s a great convenience to not have to take it off all the time to shower etc and I don’t think I could use one that isn’t waterproof.
A major factor in me buying this over a smartwatch such as the Apple Watch or Android wear was battery life. While you’re lucky to get a day worth wear out of those, this device lasts a full week at least – more if you’re not using GPS daily like I am. Don’t underestimate how important this is, not having to find time to charge. I charge this once a week at my desk and it takes no time at all to charge, so not an inconvenience at all.
There’s so much to love about this watch, but for me the killer feature is the speed at which the GPS locks. Its staggeringly quick and consistent compared to my existing GPS watch and this makes a massive difference. There are a few niggles that need ironing out but overall it’s a fantastic device. 9/10.

Arlo Smart Home - 2 HD Security Camera Kit, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor/Outdoor with Night Vision by NETGEAR (VMS3230-100EUS)

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it, 19 Sept. 2016
I bought these as a CCTV come Home Automation tool and liked their simplicity and novelty - no wires and could be placed anywhere indoors or out.

Firstly, the good:

1. They look the part - they really are nice units and aren't obnoxious when placed in or around the home. They'are also very small, fitting in the palm of your hand.
2. Setup - setup is a doddle. If you have any technical acumen then you'll have these running in no time
3. Integration - IFTTT support, direct integration with Samsung SmartThings platform and more means you wont have any problem integrating these in your home
4. Quality - the image quality is excellent. 720p crisp, clean video; I really cant complain about the video quality.

However, the bad:

1. Performance: SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW! The time for the cameras to sense motion then 'wake up' and start recording is an absolute killer. It totally destroys the product and its usefulness. Motion would be detected and I'd view the clip, only to see the person leaving the frame (e.g. the postman would walk down our drive, up to the house, post the letters, walk back up the drive and *maybe* it would catch him just before he left our property). For security/surveillance/cctv this system is TOTALLY useless
2. Motion Detection: You can't really customise the motion detection area other than reducing the frame. On other CCTV cameras you can draw specific areas to target motion but still record the whole frame. Not with Arlo, you have to draw a 1:1 ratio 'zone' which you cant customise meaning you'll probably exclude parts of the frame you want to include. For me, the way the camera was positioned meant I either HAD to include the road outside (and hence lots of false alerts) or exclude our front door. Also, the range of the motion detection wasn't sufficient. I placed one up a tree in our back garden (such novel places you can put these!) but it was too far away from the house/ground to pick up any motion and thus the camera was effectively 'dead'.
3. Subscription: You can't record locally, only on the Netgear servers, so you eithe rhave to live with the 7 day (ish) backup or pay for more storage. I planned on writing an app to download all videos to Dropbox for example but returned the items before I got round to it due to their performance

Really, I dont have many grumbles other than the performance of the unit making it really unfit for its intended purpose. You have cameras that aren't designed for real-time / live viewing (even though its possible, but will kill the battery) in favour of motion detection but when the time between detection and recording is so great, the cameras just keep recording sweet nothingness.
If Netgear could get the performance down significantly to acceptable levels, I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. Until then I've returned them and invested in a CCTV system using PoE that, while not as simple to install, will let me record 24/7, have live viewing whenever I want without killing any batteries and also wont miss key events.

TP-Link 1000 Mbps 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Ideal for HD/3D/4K Video Streaming and Online Gaming, No Configuration Required, UK Plug (TL-PA7020PKIT) - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant, 19 Sept. 2016
I've been a long time user of powerline adapters as I find them much more reliable than Wifi. For example, our baby monitor(s) cause havoc iwth our wifi in parts of the house but powerline alleviates all these problems.
I upgraded from some very old (gen 1) generic power-line adapters to this model and the difference is staggering.

Firstly, setup, well there is none! No pairing, no messing about - plug them in and they communicate.
Secondly, speed. I haven't done any speed tests but I have transferred files across my LAN and they absolutely flew down - significantly quicker than my old model and I'm also able to stream 4X HD videos from my CCTV rig to a single PC without any hitch. Now that is impressive!
next, design: Sure they're a tad bulky - they aren't going to sit discretely in your socket or blend in, but one design feature I do like is the LEDs are on the side of the unit and not the brightest, meaning they are completely unobtrusive at night. On my old ones you could have landed an aeroplane with the light the omitted at night. Not so with these though.
Lastly, reliability. I've only been using them a couple of weeks but they have been absolutely flawless. no hiccups or outages, its been rock solid thus far.

When you factor in that there's two Ethernet ports in here (perfect for me as it means I can hook up the CCTV and a printer or another PC in that room on the same plug for example) and they have pass through so you dont lose a socket and there's nothing I can fault with these. Brilliant.

Sloggi Men's Match Midi C2P Boxer Briefs
Sloggi Men's Match Midi C2P Boxer Briefs
Price: £19.05 - £24.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the cheapest but certainly one of the best., 15 Jun. 2016
I’ve been a big fan of Sloggi’s for a number of years now and wouldn’t consider anything else. I usually buy on the high street via a department store but these are much cheaper. Its also nice to have a variety of colours.
The fit here is excellent and the quality is amazing. They last for years and years so despite the price, they are excellent value for money. Just make sure you rip out the large, oversized labels inside or they’ll drive you mad.

Green Blade BB-GT115 Edging Shear with Steel Handle
Green Blade BB-GT115 Edging Shear with Steel Handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done., 15 Jun. 2016
Given the price of some shears is completely disproportionate to my gardening skills (and enthusiasm) I opted for these budgets shears. Having them delivered to the house within 24 hrs at this price kinda defies economics but I wasn’t complaining.
The shears are solid and very, very sturdy. They don’t feel cheap or nasty in any way and using them is a pleasure – they’re sharp and very precise. Sure it’ll take you and hour to get used to the side on nature of the shears but once you do you’ll be happily trimming your borders with ease, content in the knowledge that you spent the bare minimum on an excellent tool which just gets the job done.

Microsoft Wired Desktop 400 Keyboard and Mouse Set, UK Layout (Business Packaging) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible VFM in a 'no frills' set, 8 Jun. 2016
After having a couple of faulty mice and persistent battery issues with wireless keyboard and mice I went ‘back to basics’ recently and bought this set. Remember that this is clearly a ‘no frills’ keyboard and mouse but then what do you want at this price?

Firstly, negatives.

The only real one I can think of is a lack of shortcut keys on the keyboard. I’m used to having shortcut keys for volume, mute etc. above the function keys, but this is your standard, basic QWERTY keyboard.

Positives

The build quality is excellent, the feedback from the keyboard is excellent, the mouse works well and fits in your hand comfortably, the scroll wheel works well and it really is true plug and play on all versions of Windows including Windows 10.

All in all, this is a great set and incredible value for money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19