Profile for Kat > Reviews

Kat "secretsofabutterfly" (UK)

Pretty Pastel Style: decorating interiors with pastel shades
Pretty Pastel Style: decorating interiors with pastel shades

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration on every page, 16 April 2013
Two of my favourite things, vintage, and pastel interiors, all combined effortlessly into a book that is a delight to the senses. Selina has travelled to some beautiful homes, many of which are recognisable to those who love to follow bloggers. She shares with us how they have used soft pale tones and unique details in their homes. There are so many ideas for display, and for combining pastels in your decor without it appearing too young. How to get the balance right with white as a backdrop too. Sometimes with interiors books there are the odd sections I find less appealing, but I was aware that didn't happen with Pretty Pastel style, as every page gave me that uplifted feeling. This is now my favourite interiors book! If you like Scandinavian light filled homes, and you like the delicate ice cream shades of shabby chic, and the softer elements of English country style, and if you like to see people's found and thrifted treasures displayed and used in inspiring ways, then you will adore it too!

Homespun Style
Homespun Style

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration on every page, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Homespun Style (Hardcover)
Selina Lake has succeeded in bringing out another gorgeous book that just inspires me with every page I turn. She has i believe, that special gift for bringing things together, both in terms of her styling and in sourcing the right homes from around the world, to feature under one theme.

The beautifully styled and photographed homes, do not feel unattainable, they show just what can be achieved with a few considered touches. Selina helps us by clearly defining a look, the way that fashion stylists would for magazines shoots, their choices, their expert eye, helping to show us what works together and inspire our own individual choices.

Homespun has been divided into 3 sections:
Elements: covers modern craft, colour & pattern, customising & recycling
Details: covers textiles, furniture & lighting, and display
Spaces: showcases looks within relaxed living, cooking & eating, sleeping & bathing,children's rooms, creative & outdoor spaces

We get to take a look at rooms within some truly beautiful homes, all brimming with individuality and design ideas to inspire. With photographs taken by Debi Treloar, that are full of soulful colour combined with Selina's attention to all important little details, the result is a book showcasing a style of decor that feels full of light, colour, the lovingly handmade and a freedom of expression that uplifts the heart.

Decorating is always a balance, not least so when dealing with the repurposing of vintage pieces and adding such an eclectic mix into one home. Its all too easy to lose identity, instead of enhancing personality. But here we are shown how to add the homespun look in ways that create just the right feel within modern day rooms, and how recycling and reinventing the old, doesnt have to have the sense of being outdated. It can instead create an entirely fresh, yet at the same time comforting feel to our homes, that for me, only the handcrafted or vintage can truly bring.
Kat

Decorate: 1000 Professional Design Ideas for Every Room in the House
Decorate: 1000 Professional Design Ideas for Every Room in the House
by Holly Becker

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to help you envision and create your dream home, 24 Mar. 2011
I must confess I have quite a collection of interior books, the ones with beautiful photos of people's homes.
The thing that surprised me upon settling down to look through my copy of Decorate for the first time, is how unique it is.

Its not at all like other titles I have on my bookshelf already. Its a weighty book, both physically and in the amount of information it imparts. It could so easily be overwhelming, yet the balance is kept and it is interesting, informative, instructional and inspiring, in equal measure.

The rooms are from homes around the world, which gives such a variety of styles from which to choose. The influence of different countries is evident yet the book retains an overall cohesiveness.

The photography is done in such a way that you feel a part of the rooms you are looking at and can almost imagine living in them, curling up on an inviting sofa, washing up a plate or two at the belfast sink....

I must admit to not always finding the text inviting to read in other decor books i own, and I tend to take in more from the photography alone. Yet here in Decorate the writing sections are laid out in such a way that you find yourself drawn into reading them, almost without trying!

I especially like the quotes (both in large type and smaller) dotted through out the pages and inside the front & back cover. I'm a quote loving girl, but as well as simply bring pretty to look at, the words within them are really helpful tips that stick in your mind.

There is a place for online decorating inspiration of course and especially blogs, which bring us so much on a regular basis (the author Holly writes one of the best herself) but then there is still equally, a place for books.
It seems easier to find the spark of an idea for your own decor when you can turn the pages at leisure with a nice cuppa and notebook to hand. I have only had my copy a day and already I have an idea for a fireplace and a bathroom wall.
Two things I had searched online for inspiration for- and not found.

Decorate is an encyclopaedia of knowledge that can't fail to inspire whatever your budget or period of home.

There are dream rooms to emulate, there are little touches to replicate.

There are also practical tips you can use with ease, ways to organise your belongings in a stylish way and recommendations on how to plan your projects to successfully fufill what you envision.

It will help you add colour and life to your home, in however small or large a way you would like.
I guess it's like having an interior designer all to yourself,whenever you need their advice you just need to open the book and turn the page!
- kathryn

Mix and Match Gift Bags: Sukie
Mix and Match Gift Bags: Sukie
by Darrell Gibbs
Edition: Misc. Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little wrapping set, 21 Oct. 2010
This is a sweet little set of paper bags, just right for sending light weight gifts in the post for example. Its quick and easy and you can create a few different looks for different occasions with the stickers included. An eco feel to the paper adds to the charm of the woodland theme for me.
kat

Romantic Style
Romantic Style

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage styling at its most beautiful, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Romantic Style (Hardcover)
I just LOVE this book, because it has everything i love about interiors. Vintage fabric, roses, repurposed furniture, eclectic mixes of old and new, framed art, white with colourful cushions....the list goes on!

I also feel the enthusiasm that Selina, Sara, and Debbie have placed into it. They really care about their subject and creating this book must have been a shared passion.

To me this always adds to the reader's enjoyment of a book. It feels fresh and brimming with new ideas and interiors that haven't been seen before.

It inspires with ideas for ways of decorating, that can be adapted to suit a smaller budget or smaller scale room. It has achieveable looks that uplift and brighten our everyday tasks.

There is a good balance between the colourful and the paired down, more neutral decor. With plenty of ideas for each room, this styling book is going to be a favourite of mine for many years to come.

Kat