Profile for Roxie > Reviews

Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner 473ml
Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner 473ml
Offered by Barakah Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, 26 Jan. 2015
When I was a kid I had gentle little ringlets, incredibly shiny and easy to manage. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I was the cutest. It was prone to tangling but nothing too crazy.

The moment I hit puberty it turned in to a monstrosity. The softness turned in to coarse scratchy strands, what were once cute ringlets now frizzed, the general mass doubling by size and making it look like a mushroom cloud of terror. What was once my favourite aspect had become a source of crippling anxiety. Nothing I used worked at all. Serums, creams, mousses, gels, anything I could get my hands on. It might sound strange but I could barely leave my house, it created all consuming fear and I resigned myself to having horrific hair for the rest of my life.

Eventually I started straightening it to buggery, which, aside from the obvious damage, didn't help my self esteem or the general anxiety that plagued getting ready. Even as I entered my twenties I hadn't found any method other than crazy hot straighteners and high doses of anxiety medication.
And then I bought this. I was still resigned, all those years of searching for a cure had left me bitter towards hair products. But a dear friend pointed out, my hair wasn't Eurocentric, so why was I trying to treat it like it was?

Game. Changer. I'm no longer scared of showering and then the hours of trying to make my hair behave. It's wonderful. A beautiful peppermint scent, the perfect consistency in your hands, rubs in like a dream come true. My hair has never been so tame before. Even if I blow dry it, what before turned in to tumbleweed is now mostly straight With a bit of fluffiness, but not so much I want to shave it all off.
It has quite literally changed my life.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2015 2:46 PM GMT

MOFRED® Black & Tan iPad Air 2 (Launched 2014) Leather Case-MOFRED®- Executive Multi Function Leather Standby Case for Apple iPad Air 2 with Built-in magnet for Sleep & Awake Feature -- Independently Voted by "The Daily Telegraph" as #1 iPad Air 2 Case!
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little stand!, 26 Jan. 2015
There are so many facets of this cover I want to talk about but I'll start with its stand features.

The ridges are perfectly spaced for high medium and low levels of inclination, making it easy to view the screen no matter what position you're in. It's a lot sturdier than other models that require you to flip the top protector in to a triangle shape. It's quite difficult to explain but I'm sure if you've used cheaper covers you'll know what I'm talking about.

The material is sturdy and I've got to admit I really like the simplicity of the colour scheme/style. It even has a little pocket for documents which is so incredibly cute. I might be easy to please but pockets make everything better, if you've ever noticed the difference between male and female jeans you know that pockets make all the difference.

It even comes with a screen protector and a little stylus. It's a really great product that I can't recommend enough!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cotton Candy, 16 Jan. 2015
I've been dying my hair for over six years now and I can't believe it's taken me so long to try Manic Panic out.

The price put me off when I was younger, being a student I didn't really have the funds to buy these little tubs lacking harsh chemicals. It took me until quite recently to work out a lot of my headaches occurred on the days following dying my hair. This was definitely a whim but possibly the best one I've had in a long while. It's unscented, the perfect texture and an absolutely gorgeous colour when first applied. I'll admit, the colour (cotton candy) fades pretty quickly, I can manage three washes before my hair turns in to dusty peach with blonde streaks. The tubs only have enough to give two good applications (on medium length, prelightened hair) but the product is so good I think it's pretty worth it.

If you have sensitive skin or just want to give your hair an ethical dose of colour, this is a really lovely product.

Mooncup Model B Menstrual Cup
Mooncup Model B Menstrual Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Mooncup? I think you mean, can't-believe-no-one-bloody-told-me-about-them-sooner, 12 Nov. 2014
This is definitely the best purchase I've ever made. I'm including my Ipad, my unhealthy addiction to dried mango and the copious amounts of MAC makeup I buy on the regular.

No longer do I have to stew in a flimsy blood pillow. No more irritation and risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. Best of all, I won't be shelling out a small fortune to keep my clothing stain free from a human condition that I did NOT sign up for.

So far I've only worn it for one cycle but it's beyond what I ever could have hoped for. I think I've been incredibly lucky as I seem to have managed an air tight lock on every occasion, honestly I thought it would take me a while to get used to it but it's been fine. Taking it out was a little bit nerve wracking but I found using one hand to steady and the second to pinch and remove did the trick.

If you're considering taking the plunge I really couldn't recommend this product more. If I ever have daughters they'll be receiving these the very same day they acquire the curse.

I am the Messenger
I am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changing., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
To be given a chance, one that seems almost insignificant at the time, that will profoundly change everything in your stable but ultimately stagnant existence. It's gripping because we've all been there. You're content, most of the time at least, there's not a lot of variation in your day to day life but you tell yourself that's totally fine. Maybe it is fine. Maybe you're just telling yourself that. Maybe, you want to change, but you don't even know where to start. You realise that instead of living, you're just coasting, never really experiencing anything at all.

I don't think I've ever said this before about a book. But this will change you. If you're anything like me you won't even reach the midway point before analysing your life and acknowledging you need a change. It's beautifully written with a powerful message and relate-able characters.

Very, VERY worthwhile.

The Little Dictionary of Fashion: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman
The Little Dictionary of Fashion: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman
by Christian Dior

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute., 6 Dec. 2013
Also small and somehow lacking something, I don't know what I expected. I don't know what I wanted it to be.
When I was a child etiquette and clothing ruled my life. I would soon find out that this was in fact a symptom of my OCD, being perfectly turned out at all times should not be the biggest concern of an under eight. As such, I surrounded myself with old manuals, beautiful fifties women with thin waists and rosy cheeks told me what to do when arriving late at the theater, who to address first when amongst strangers of both genders and of varying ages, how to lay a table when hosting a dinner party with your superiors. I absorbed every minute detail and forced my life in to a precise schedule in the hopes that if I was perfect, nothing bad could happen.

I don't know how this applies, but it reminds me of those books. It really does. Only it lacks. It lacks something I can't even put in to words. I guess it's fine for what it is, but I'm sure there are other books on this matter that would feel more, "whole".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 8:21 PM GMT

In The Miso Soup
In The Miso Soup
by Ryu Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory, Uncertain, Everything I Love., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: In The Miso Soup (Paperback)
In my opinion this isn't one of his best works but it's still pretty awesome. I mean, I gave it five stars, so by that logic you have to assume his other books are just stupendously good. This isn't good for the faint of heart, I let my friend borrow it and she returned it a few weeks later looking queasy and confused about the universe. Maybe it's just me but I love the straight narrative against abject horror. Definitely a good read.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
by Jon McGregor

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 6 Dec. 2013
I started, I stopped, I chastised myself for ignoring it. I'm sure it's a great book, i really am. In fact, when I was reading the reviews before purchasing I couldn't believe the less favorable reviews. "It's won awards! Everyone keeps saying how great it is!" I told myself. "Those reviewers just don't understand it, probably, a bit over their heads maybe?" But this was not for me at all. I'm kind of silently judging the people who told me how great it is.

Don't get me wrong, it's readable and very nicely written. And I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't read it, but if you're like me it will seem predictable and actually quite boring.

Kissing in Manhattan
Kissing in Manhattan
by David Schickler

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy. Immediately. No excuses just throw your money at the screen., 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Kissing in Manhattan (Paperback)
Interesting characters expertly interwoven, a plot so thick you'll need a butchers knife, exciting, extravagant, seriously why are you still reading. You need this book in your life. You need your life to be more like this book. Twists! Turns! Intrigue! And just a sprinkling of apartment envy.

Geek Love (Abacus Books)
Geek Love (Abacus Books)
by Katherine Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile!, 6 Dec. 2013
I struggled at the very start, having left my studies and taking a medical break I really wasn't ready for long words and thinking. Breaking in to a new book can always be difficult but this felt like walking through treacle. Until of course, my heart was captured. the occasional glances over a mug of tea quickly turned in to fevered reading and emotional leaps. So so much better than I expected, gorgeously written, twisted, stomach wrenching. Everything you need to forget yourself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3