Profile for Peter Bell > Reviews

Content by Peter Bell

Peter Bell (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London

5.0 out of 5 stars A different take on the zombie genre, 26 May 2014
Rather than heroics, a diary of day to day survival, a really good read and I'll be reading the next in the series.

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Mar. 2014
A really great if melancholy book that I will read again in time. It is beautifully written, capturing the age perfectly.

Bose ® SIE2i Sport Headphones - Blue
Bose ® SIE2i Sport Headphones - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 4 Oct. 2013
These replaced an older pair of the Bose in ear headphones. I find lots of in ear headphones very uncomfortable because they are too big, these arrive with 3x sets of silicon ear tips (S/M/L) that mean they will fit almost anyone. These are great for running the revised design means the tips don't fall off and the headphones stay in your ear. The short cable and extension cable is a great idea that stops you getting tangled up in the cable if you have your device in the supplied armband or a breast pocket.

Why 4* - the sound isn't fantastic. I suspect the noise cancelling equivalents will be much better, but at twice the price. These are good value.

Business Reimagined: Why work isn't working and what you can do about it
Business Reimagined: Why work isn't working and what you can do about it

5.0 out of 5 stars Taylor would turn in his grave, 18 Jun. 2013
This is a worthwhile read for anyone running a company, leading a team or involved in management doctrine, after all we've waited more than 200 years for something to challenge Taylorism and here it is. If TQM made you weep and Six Sigma makes you want to stick your head in the oven to make the pain go away then this book will make a refreshing read.

The central notion is that the last decade of technology has put us in a situation where employees seek fulfilment as well as reward and the organisations that harness this will win out. With lots of pertinent examples to support this it makes for a thought provoking read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 11:55 PM GMT

Roberts CHRONODAB DAB/FM Digital Alarm Clock Radio with Instant Time Set
Roberts CHRONODAB DAB/FM Digital Alarm Clock Radio with Instant Time Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, one flaw., 14 Jun. 2013
As a long time Sony customer when it comes to clock radios I was disappointed by their offerings. Too many buttons, cheap build quality, etc. I'd recently bought the beautiful 'Expression' model for use in the kitchen which aside from being pretty has great sound. Hence looking at Roberts for a clock radio.

I went for this model based on price, functionality and appearance.

They are a little larger that I thought they were going to be (I bought two), but once in situ they are not obtrusive. The clock face is very large but the brightness can be taken right down. It is simple to use and the set-up was simple. The sound isn't quite as good as the Expression but is still very good and light years ahead of the old FM Sony clock radios they replaced. Having two alarms that can be set for different days is more useful than it sounds !

I'm very happy with the purchase so why only 4*. When the alarm goes off the volume slowly increases, playing the last listened to radio station, however it just keeps increasing to the max volume. If you wake up early and go downstairs then the whole house gets woken up when it goes off and you're not there. You should be able to set the max volume.

The Remaining: Refugees
The Remaining: Refugees

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 14 Jun. 2013
This is the third in the series and a very good 'page turner' Credible characters, interesting twists and a little humour. Good stuff.

Damocles
Damocles

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Damocles (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of Science Fiction across a variety of styles and authors and was looking forward to this - great concept. Unfortunately it is terrible. I gave up after 40% of the book - there is only so much pleasure to be taken from an extended narrative of two races learning to converse. Even worse because you get both races perspective everything is twice as long. I gave up, which is a rare thing. Save your money.

Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Anthracite/Blue Glow
Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Anthracite/Blue Glow

5.0 out of 5 stars Suits my needs, 6 Mar. 2013
Having had a Polar watch for years and been frustrated by how hard it was to use throughout I wanted an easier to use replacement that gave me GPS. My triathlon /ironman friends all went for Garmin however all I really wanted to know was how far I ran and at what pace. This watch does that with an Apple like simplicity.

I was almost put off by some of the poor reviews; I am pleased I wasn't - simple, elegant and well integrated with the web site. The web site itself is actually pretty good and it makes running new routes more fun knowing you can easily compare with routes you know.

If you are putting serious training for an ironman and need the stats to train effectively for that then this perhaps is not the watch for you, if on the other hand you run regularly and want the basics in a stylish and well put together package then this is a good choice.

Yousave Accessories Hard Hybrid Rubberised Back Cover Case for Nokia Lumia 920 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the price would suggest, 6 Mar. 2013
As my review title suggests I was pleasantly suprised by the quality of this product. Tactile, snug fit and after 30 dys use durable to. My only gripe would be the buttons are a little harder to reach, but overall a great cover.

The Times and Sunday Times (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Times and Sunday Times (Kindle Tablet Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars not ready, buggy, and poor, 1 Jan. 2013
Given the updates to the app I am updating this review. The good news is many of the bugs I mentioned in my original review have been fixed. (Notably the endless requests to sign up for the trial subscription). However, and it is a big however this is still a very poor offering and the team behind the app have a lot to do and we the consumer deserve better. Specifically:

1. The app doesn't use Whispernet and there is not obvious way to download the latest edition of the newspaper. It is a simple enough scenario - I want to turn on my Kindly Fire HD and either (a) see that morning newspaper or (b) press a button in the app to download now. Instead I'm left loading other apps (to flush the Time app from memory) or turning off the Kindle (again to unload the Times app from memory) or waiting in vain if these fail for the app to recognize todays paper has been published.

2. The app still crashes a lot - the only app ever to crash on my Kindle. "Asphalt 7 has stopped working". I don't care and I don't want to see the error.

3. I want to be able to select how the download works. At the moment the text arrives first and the pictures follow. Makes sense to a developer sat in the office but not to me rushing out the door to catch a train, without the images this is a poor experience. I should be able to select if the pictures `lazy load'. I also want to be able to configure which sections download as standard. On a Sunday morning I have to download each section of the Sunday Times separately. !? Believe it or not I do have other things to do on a Sunday.

4. When you write to me in the app telling me about updates please don't insult me by talking about the about on my iPad. I don't have an iPad I have a Kindle. Just plain lazy behaviour and we're not all Apple devotees.

5. It is still too expensive compared with other subscriptions for the same content on other platforms. Don't treat me like a hostage.

I am pretty close to giving up on this and the Times & Sunday Times. Badly done, lazy implementation and expensive. The device deserves better, but it is paying customers who really deserve more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3