Profile for Calvin Gates > Reviews

Content by Calvin Gates

Calvin Gates (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Samsung 16 GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card with SD Adapter (Standard Packaging) - Orange/White
Offered by Buyur

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, don't recommend, 1 May 2017
Bought in August 2016, it's 1st May 2017 and card is completely and utterly toast. I barely even use it, and yet it's now unable to be used in a phone or computer. Shockingly bad quality product. It arrived on time and in frustration free packaging but I've lost a bit of data I didn't get around to backing up. Kingston for me next time.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix (PS4)
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix (PS4)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars So much gameplay, you won't be disappointed!, 2 April 2017
At under £35 at the time of writing, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 remix may be the best value game in offer right now. There is said to be 28 hours average completion time for Kingdom Hearts 1 alone, which means that collectively there's over 100 hours of gameplay in this set.

The graphics look really nice, clear and fresh on my PS4 Pro and I was happy to see a wonderful cast consisting of characters from favourite Disney movies and Final Fantasy games. The music is great and I am excited to dive back into one of the best series gaming has to offer.
Meeting Leon and Tidus, even Wakka has to be one of the most amazing things. And there's more. Much more. You will meet the best characters Disney and Square Enix have produced, making for an enthralling adventure RPG.

If you're undecided, take it from me, it's excellent. Do be aware however that there is a large 4gb to download on day one. This fixes bits and pieces and makes for a smoother gameplay experience.

Overall, it's Disney and Square Enix both doing what they do best. Telling a story and making an RPG respectively. You won't be disappointed.

Cuplex Verruca Gel, 5gm
Cuplex Verruca Gel, 5gm

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor fobbed me off, so I bought this!, 11 Mar. 2017
I bought this product on the 26th of February after having been fobbed off by my doctor. I'd had my verruca for a few months before I went in for freezing at the doctors. The doctor told me it would just go eventually and said he'll freeze it, but if it doesn't work, just leave it. I knew in my heart and soul that the doctor truly didn't care about the issue and the annoyance and embarrassment it caused me.

I do Karate in my free time and didn't want to go to class with a horrible verucca for risk of spreading it. I have to say - I have no idea how I got it. But that's another topic for another day. Let's get on with the review.

The freezing method didn't work and I was on the verge of literally chopping the damn thing off. This product was the one I chosen because of glowing reviews and i'm happy I bought it. I *think* my verucca is dead and gone. The reason I can't say it's completely dead and gone is because my foot looks a bit messy due to the dead skin and 'pool' effect that the gel leaves behind.

So how does it work? Well, as everyone says, the gel dries up QUICKLY. Which means you'll need to apply it to your foot, or get someone else to apply it to your foot as quickly as possible. Due to where my verucca(s) were, I couldn't help but get the gel on healthy parts of skin. The gel will solidify and turn white - that's when you can put a sock on, or go to sleep. I left my gel on for approx 12 hours at a time, before peeling off, then applying it again. This method ultimately killed off the area of skin that the gel was covering. Don't worry, there will be no blood or huge holes in your feet!!

From my own personal experience, I believe the verruca has a black dot in the middle. I think that is the blood vessel that feeds the verruca and keeps it alive. If you keep applying the gel as I did, within 2 weeks, your skin should be dead enough for you to get some clippers and remove it. Wash your hands THOROUGHLY. The whole point of this is to kill the skin and virus and not spread it.

For me, this gel was 10x more effective than the Doctor's freezing method. I will update the review within the coming weeks and confirm if the verruca has 100% gone. But I *think* it has. I just need to have several long baths and see if the new skin on my foot will grow healthy and without the virus.

Thanks for reading. If this helped at all, please give it a like and feel free to ask any questions! I know the pain/embarrassment having a verruca causes, so i'm more than willing to answer anything you need to know regarding this gel and my experience.

GOLD BUDDHA PHOTO ART BEDDING - DUVET COVER BED SETS (Double)
GOLD BUDDHA PHOTO ART BEDDING - DUVET COVER BED SETS (Double)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and very impressive quality!, 27 Feb. 2017
Received the set really quickly and was instantly impressed. The material is of good quality and is better than expected for the price. And the price is just incredible. I highly recommend this set. If you're looking for something calming and peaceful, then look no further. Mine arrived as seen in the photo and fits a double bed well. There is a single bed version at the time of writing this review.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (PC DVD)
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern game with a 70's/80's horror feel to it!, 27 Jan. 2017
It's always hard to review a game because games are subjective; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, Resident Evil has been a game series which captures a special spot in gamer's hearts for a number of reasons. The most obvious reason being horror. And Resident Evil 7 offers what I consider to be 'true horror'. It's very much like the horror you feel whilst watching the 1974 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. The macabre mixed with the feeling of desperation for survival.

But before I get into that, let's take a look at what we're dealing with. Resident Evil 7 arrived in a physical box (great artwork on the front), with 3 disks. It has a Steam key, so you must redeem the key using 'Steam'. I assume you're familiar with it so I wont go into detail on that. The disks have most of the game data on, so you will not need to spend ages downloading 18gb's worth of data (or thereabouts). However, once installed, you will need to download an update which I am guessing is around 800mb or so. It took me a good 20 mins to download it (again, this is highly dependant on your internet speed).

Minimum spec requirement for the game:

OS: WINDOWS 7,8,8.1,10 64-BIT
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x
DirectX: Version 11
Additional Notes: 1080P CPU/GPU at 30FPS Players will have to either lower texture or set streaming textures to OFF in order to optimize performance.

Recommended Spec:

OS: WINDOWS 7,8,8.1,10 64-BIT
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz or AMD or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 280X or better
DirectX: Version 11
Additional Notes: "1080P CPU/GPU at 60FPS

My personal specs are: Windows 10 Home (64-bit), i5 6400 3.20ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 960 4gb version. I can run the game on full settings fairly smoothly. The game works with an original Xbox controller which I plug in via USB, or you can use mouse and keyboard.

Now i'll give you a quick overview of the sound/gameplay and overall experience. The sound is, as expected - excellent. The sounds of walking in the forest of Louisiana in the beginning of the game sounds nice, as the leaves crunch as you walk over them. Scares are often delivered with that classic horror music, although it's not done in a cheesy way, it's genuinely terrifying. Voice acting is well done and sounds professional, i've yet to hear something that sounds poor.

Gameplay-wise, as you've probably seen, Capcom has decided to go against the grain and go with a first person approach. I was skeptical, being a casual fan of the RE series, having played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and revelations, but I actually think it's a good decision. There is a whole new dynamic now. Because the game is centred around a house in the middle of nowhere, and you have to inspect things close up e.g photographs, bolt cutters etc You feel as if it's you in the game. When something charges at me, I feel as if they're attacking ME. I've almost fell out of my chair several times. The game is very immersive. Storyline-wise, there actually is a story. It's not just about 'killing zombies cos we're Umbrella, yay!', it starts off with a video from Mia, the wife of Ethan who disappeared 3 years ago. You guessed it - you need to go and rescue her. Will you rescue her? Or will your plan go wrong?

All I can say is: buy it. I don't recommend games much because i've been let down by so, so many games over the years. But this one holds up. Capcom didn't oversell it, or hype it up. They just got on with it, released it and I think that approach has been for the best. They released a demo so you can download that and get a feel for the game. If you like the demo, you'll LOVE the game. It's very cleverly done and definitely has that 70's/80's horror feel to it. What are you waiting for?! Go ahead and buy it!

Thanks for checking out my review. If you've got any questions i'll be more than happy to answer them. Please let me know what you thought of my review by letting me know if it helped you by clicking 'yes'. I can then adjust my future reviews accordingly.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2017 12:33 AM GMT

The Essence of Buddhism
The Essence of Buddhism

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but we'll worth reading, 16 Jan. 2017
Having recently become somewhat more conscious of animal welfare and as a result of that, eating less meat, I was unfortunately involved in a family feud whereby a relative threatened me, raised their voice and meanwhile I was able to remain calm. These two things seemed totally unrelated until I read this book. I now know that Buddhism is the real peaceful "religion" whereby you follow a set of principles which can help you to become a nicer, kinder, more respectful member of society.

I feel like this book is perfect for people like me who need an introduction to Buddhism and the fact that I now realize that many Buddhists are vegetarian really sums up what Buddhism is all about. It's about being conscious. It's about being aware and doing the best thing. You're not required to believe in a God with infinite life, it's quite the opposite. In Buddhism, you're seeking to achieve peaceful state of mind. Buddhism is about changing or improving yourself. I found this book to be a great starting place and I plan to use it as a reference guide and read more on the subject.

Final Fantasy XV - The Complete Official Guide (Standard Edition)
Final Fantasy XV - The Complete Official Guide (Standard Edition)
by Piggyback

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!, 1 Dec. 2016
I'm reviewing the standard edition guide.

I think the question everyone asks is: "Why should I buy a strategy guide when I can find one free on the web?" That's a good question and I think I can give you the answer. This is the official guide (as the title says) and it's one that Square-Enix have provided with a short but very interesting pre-face. The message essentially says that Square-Enix wanted to create a game whereby friends, loyalty and journeying was the main theme. The point being: there is some history and little tid-bits that you otherwise wouldn't get with a user-made strategy guide.

The guide is colourful and well presented, with lots of artwork of Noctis and co. I particularly like the fact that they've managed to capture so much information. With side-quests, the game is said to last upwards of 60 hours. I don't doubt that figure at all. I was 1 hour in and at the very beginning of the book doing my first side quest before I realized just how little i'd done.

The previous point is also why I have to rate 4/5; the guide will often give you a side-quest and say: "Turn to page x" were x is a page that's towards the middle/end of the book. It's not a huge problem and for some, it might not be an issue whatsoever, but I just find that if you're like me and you want to do the side-quests, you'll find yourself jumping between the back and front of the book, to the point where you'll need two bookmarks!

All in all, it's a great guide and worth the money. It has all the information you need, plus information on beasts that you'll find in the wild, visual overviews of the map, fishing etc It has it all. And for the long-term FF fans, you'll be happy to turn onto a random page in the guide and see pictures/illustrations of Cid (yes, he's here folks! Cid is always here), Iron Giant and the cactuars which have bugged me since FFX where I had to do a side-quest involving them... There is a lot to see AND read in this guide. Anyway, as you can see, I recommend it. The guys at Piggyback have done what they do best.

Final Fantasy XV: Day One Edition (PS4)
Final Fantasy XV: Day One Edition (PS4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not FF of old - If Skyrim and World of Warcraft had a baby, this is it, 1 Dec. 2016
I am a long-time fan of Final Fantasy. I first played FF7 on launch in 1997 and I was instantly hooked. I cried during FF7; scenes were powerful. FF8 was a great experience, but FF9 was almost as good if not better than FF7. Whichever game you think was the best, be it FF4, FF6 or any other game in the series - you'd find plenty of people who agree that the more recent games e.g X-2, XIII and XIII-2 have been awful in comparison to early FF games. Storylines have been dumbed down to the point where they're not even vaguely interesting anymore and unlovable characters. FFXV knows it has to change that, or the Final Fantasy name will be tarnished forever.

I purposefully didn't read much about FFXV, I wanted it to be a surprise. And what a surprise it was. I popped in the disk and it took a good 30 minutes to install on my PS4 but I persevered and once installed, started the game. I was greeted with some of the most beautiful graphics i've ever seen in a videogame. My PS4 Pro seemed to be using all of its power to render the images on my 4k TV. This, my friends, is what Final Fantasy is all about. Industry-leading graphics along with carefully told, layered storylines that "hit you right in the feels" as the youngsters say nowadays. And then I was greeted by Florence and The Machine's rendition of Stand By Me. WOW. It was like if James Bond met Final Fantasy - this is what you'd get. An epic song as the game opens. Think of when you opened FF8 and you heard Liberi Fatali or Balamb Garden for the first time. It was very, very powerful indeed.

The game shows Noctis and co pushing their broken down vehicle as they need to get help to fix it in order to get to Noct's wedding. Yes, sure, he's a Prince and he should have just used his mobile phone (which he does have now) to get help, but this is Final Fantasy and we need to let little things like that slide. I continued playing the game for approx 30 minutes when I saw Cid. Oh, my, goodness. Cid has never looked so good! Well, let's be honest, he looks a bit old, but he appears in every single Final Fantasy game as a cameo and my goodness, it was fantastic to see him. It only seems like yesterday he was working in Rocket Town. Anyway, I digress.

LunaFreya - I had to laugh. Luna (think Yuna, FFX) and Freya (FFIX). The game is a nod to every other FF that came before it. The game even nods to the demo. If you look at my attached screenshot, even the cars have the number plate of 'Duscae' which was the demo of FFXV released with another FF game. From what I hear, if you run through FFXV really fast, it'll still take approx 30 hours to competition. If you take your time and do all of the side questions, you can end up racking up approx 60-90 hours. And talking of the 'quests', FFXV seems very "World of Warcraft". There is now a pointer telling you how many meters away from your objective you are so you don't get lost in the large open world.

The battle system feels strange, I must admit. As you run around in the open world you'll get to battle in real-time. I'm still not convinced. I think there is 10x more strategy in turn-based or an ATB system, but I can understand why Square-Enix want a real-time system. Square-Enix want it to feel like an epic anime rather than a strategy game, which I get. I'll have to play much more before I can like it but who knows, maybe i'll learn to love it. For me, it feels like Final Fantasy is slowly starting to realize what made them great again. So if you aren't sure whether to buy this, I say go ahead and take the plunge.

Update:

Having now played the game for upwards of 15 hours, by all accounts i'm 50% through the game. I've done a fair few side-quests and i've got a different opinion of the game now. We HAVE to compare this to previous Final Fantasy games - after all, they're the reason Final Fantasy has this fantastic reputation. Final Fantasy 15 starts out with the King getting killed. I must admit, I was somewhat dubious about the main character being a Prince, it just doesn't sit well with me; maybe it's because we can't have a rags to riches story? Or maybe it's because it's harder to relate to royalty? Final Fantasy 9 had Princess Garnet but Zidane was a thief whom at first glance, might have been seen as an unlikely hero. I didn't really feel like Noctis was an unlikely hero - it seems he knows he was going to be a savior.

I think the strangest thing about this game is the leveling system. To improve your stats, you must eat food. Ok, that's an interesting concept, but it means that now, you have to buy food or pick it up from monsters you kill. You'll constantly get Ignis, one of the supporting cast telling you he has "found a new recipe" in the most annoying, posh British accent you can imagine. And this is where things get strange. The King has been murdered - wow - ok, let's set off and go and seek revenge! But before you can seek revenge, you have to now embark on "Quests". Think "World of Warcraft". You get a quest location (and some are optional, but some aren't) and you go to that location, do the quest, which is usually going to a certain point on the map and pressing 'X' and then going back to whomever gave you the quest and handing it in. You get EXP and gil. Quests often are a few minutes journey in the car then you have to run to the quest location. Then you fight, or take a photograph (yes, the King has died but you must take photos of things). It's a strange game.

I feel as if Square-Enix have saw the success of Skyrim and World of Warcraft and thought: "Wow, let's morph Final Fantasy into that!" but they've basically taken Final Fantasy away from what it was originally. There's a part of me that desperately wants to see ATB return. ATB, or active time battles were 10x more strategic. Now, you must battle in real-time, it just feels like a generic button basher. It's a shame, because the game has some good, redeeming features. Music is ok for the most part, albeit not the best in the series and graphically, it's the best game i've seen on a console. But as for the storyline? Forget it. As I said, i'm 15 hours in and i've probably been fed about 30 minutes of actual storyline. The other 14.5 hours have been spend in the car, killing monsters and running between quests.

In short, i'd say that the storyline is a 2/5, the gameplay is 2/5, the music is 3/5 and the graphics are 5/5. It's a small step in the right direction but to be honest, you could skip this and not feel feel like you're missing out. This is not a must-have game, it's a Final Fantasy that ditches key elements that made it great in the first place and has borrowed too many Western-RPG elements in the hope it'll reach mass sales.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Grand Tour Season 1
The Grand Tour Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars I fought my colleague in the hope i'd get a 4th spot on TGT, Now i'm writing this review from Cell Block No. 4, 18 Nov. 2016
Ok, so i'm not really in Cell Block No. 4, but now i've got your attention. I have to say: it's here. It's finally here. The Grand Tour has been such an anticipated show it's unreal. I couldn't go anywhere without people saying they miss seeing Clarkson, Hammond and May; they're back and better than ever. The production value is through the roof and it shows with every single frame. Crystal clear shots of droplets of water, vaporizing as they leave the exhaust on the expensive cars leave your jaw by your feet. Just when you bend over and pick up your jaw, something else happens and you decide to leave your jaw where it is and let your eyes consume the artistic genius that is playing before it.

If Pamela Anderson (the most beautiful woman ever to have lived, in my humble opinion) asked me out on a date when The Grand Tour's Episode was released, i'd have to drop her a text message and say I was busy and i'll have to find time to book her into my busy schedule. This...this ladies and gentlemen is everything we hoped for. We have not been let down. Clarkson, Hammond and May look set to embark on a whole new chapter and this ensures I will continue with Amazon Prime - it really is unmissable stuff. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit English International | PC | Download
Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit English International | PC | Download

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 5 years, a legitimate Windows 10 license works out at less than 5p per day! Bargain!, 4 Nov. 2016
"You're crazy! You're buying a license?" - that's all I heard from friends of mine. I however, worked in digital security and I am very familiar with ways in which some people obtain Windows. I'm also familiar with the fact that they are often not only illegal, but riddled with trojans, viruses and malware which often lay dormant and undetectable whilst siphoning off your data - scary, huh? Well, it's all too real.

If, like me, you want peace of mind that you're buying a genuine, safe product, then look no further. Microsoft have said that Windows 10 will receive continual updates and they've stuck to their word; updates regularly happen, usually on "patch Tuesdays" as they're now known, so you can be content in knowing that this software will continue to be supported for the long run.

So, what are you buying here? You're buying a license. There is no retail box, no disks, just a serial number which allows you to legitimately use Windows 10 home. You get the option between 32 and 64-bit operating systems. Essentially, if you have 3gb or less ram, you go for the 32-bit variant. If you have 4gb+ of ram, you go for the 64-bit operating system. The license you're buying here lets you have both and you choose which to install. Neat!

So once you get your license, you will be provided with instructions on where to go and what to do in order to download the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system. If you're like me, and you have a slow internet connection (upgrading soon!) you may find it takes a while to download Windows 10. The update is approximately 4gb which is quite large; if you have a fast internet connection, you shouldn't have any issues. I simply used a USB stick to install Windows 10 Home on, and the instructions I followed were simple to follow. I created what is known as 'bootable media' which means that you can go into your BIOS and select your memory stick as the first device to boot from and your Windows 10 installer will begin upon your next boot.

Once installed, Windows 10 said it was activated. I had no trouble setting it up and I think it's fairly straight forward, although if you've not done it before, you're best asking a trusted family member. I'd be wary of asking an IT shop to do this install for you, as you should be very careful who gets to see your product key/serial number, for obvious reasons. Overall, I think it's a bargain. £84.99 for a legitimate Windows 10 license. That's £16.99 per year over the course of 5 years (and you could run this forever if you really wanted). But sticking with the 5 year cycle which I plan to do, that works out at less than 5p per day! Bargain!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6