Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for Archersphilia > Reviews

Content by Archersphilia

Archersphilia "Chris"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
It's a PC World: What it Means to Live in a Land Gone Politically Correct
It's a PC World: What it Means to Live in a Land Gone Politically Correct
by Edward Stourton

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Dec. 2016
Two stars - per Amazon - is 'Don't like it'. But that isn't my over-riding feeling having just finished reading it; it is one of disappointment.

'Disappointment' because, having read the book, I don't feel wiser in terms of clarifying my mind about what I think of Political Correctness.

There are some interesting sections that are interesting eg

- he says that there is scant evidence for 'nitty grity' originally being reference to the bottom of slave ships (a friend of mine was criticized at work for using that phrase)

- the section where he gives three actual examples of PCness and pulls out some general themes

- a discussion on post war Germany

But these are more than outweighed - in my view - by the overlong quotes from other writers that frequently were unclear (to me) in their meaning or relevance and the vague waffling that didn't seem to be going anywhere.

Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch - Blue
Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch - Blue, 27 April 2014
So far it is excellent (writing at April 2014)

Someone has clearly thought about the design of this watch/HRM.

The electronics on the strap are removable - thus making it easy to keep the strap clean and only use the electronics bit when you need to ie - easily clip it on the strap when, say, you have arrived at your start point - thus increasing usage life of the battery.

Being able to check time by putting watch near HRM is very useful.

The display is clear and easy to check

Very pleased - just need to see how long it will last - I have bought two cheaper ones (other brands) and both packed up within a few months - within a week in one case

David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Guide to Digital SLR Photography
David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Guide to Digital SLR Photography
by David Busch

5.0 out of 5 stars David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T2i/550D Guide to Digital SLR Photography, 27 April 2014
Not finished this book yet but already - first 60 pages or so - I am learning stuff.

Agree with previous comments that it is easy to read and explains why you might need particular settings and when to use them.

Certainly worth getting to ensure you get the maximum out of your existing camera before spending loads on another one.

BPS LP-E8 High Power 1150mAh LPE8 Li-ion Battery Pack for Canon EOS 700D,EOS 650D,EOS 600D,EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera,Canon Battery Grip BG-E8,Canon Battery Charger LC-E8E
Offered by BestDeal-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 5 Nov. 2013
I have been using these batteries for several months and they charge up and last ok - no problems. Never let me down

The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Generally very straightforward to follow, 5 Nov. 2013
I bought this about 6 months ago and periodically do some more, but as I haven't finished it yet (I am up to Chapter 6) I can't comment on the whole book.

I find the general style excellent and (unlike some other reviewers) take no exception to the chapter introductions where there is some stream of consciousness writing (or it can see like that!) on the titles of each chapter.

Despite not yet finishing all chapters the stuff I have learned so far helps me to produce a much better finished image. There have been odd occasions where I have had to work out what to do but on the whole the book is much easier to follow than other instruction-type books I have used , both on photography and other subjects.

The introduction to layers is good - something I was dreading starting.

Guidance on processing RAW images I have found particularly helpful, especially that on converting to B&W.

Retort Laboratory three pronged clamp rubber jaws
Retort Laboratory three pronged clamp rubber jaws

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid product, 5 Nov. 2013
I bought this to use to hold white cards etc in place when taking table top pictures.

I couldn't justify buying a stand as well so I put some concrete in an empty tin and stuck in a bit of wood with holes in for the clamp. Not too successful as the clamp rotates in the(round) hole - but that's not the fault of the clamp.

Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner with 1TB Recorder
Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner with 1TB Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 5 Nov. 2013
We got this as we have previously used Humax boxes for non-HD, and they are Which?-recommended too.

Seems to work well and no problems so far, other than getting used to it

It has a wifi connection which we haven't (yet) used so I can't comment on what that allows you to do that you can't do with a Wi-Fi tele (we have a Samsung)

Lexar Professional 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 600X 90MB/s High Speed SDHC Memory Card
Lexar Professional 16GB Class 10 UHS-1 600X 90MB/s High Speed SDHC Memory Card
Offered by PicStop

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 5 Nov. 2013
seems to work ok - I can see what is meant where somewhere I read that this product is a bit flimsy - it does seem as though you might break it if you don't push it correctly - eg at the right angle - into your camera. But it only seems like that - I don't really think it would actually break

Ex-Pro 58mm UV Multi Coated Protector Lens Filter, Compatible with any 58mm Lens, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sigma, Olympus, Panasonic, Tokina, Tamron, Leica, Sony & More...
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars seems to do the job, 5 Nov. 2013
I wanted a cheap UV filter to protect the lens - this seems to do it without any bad effects on photos

New Balance 50117NB N4 Onyx
New Balance 50117NB N4 Onyx

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be so much better, 5 Nov. 2013
I bought this as a replacement for a very cheap (£15) one I got from a supermarket - and which let water (sweat) into the battery casing of the actual heart monitor and so failed in about two days. I have had no similar issues with this after about 15 uses for running up to 1.5 hours per time.

Although it is a woman's HRM I am a man - it fits (just - chest size ~ 107cms where I wear it) and the programming allows you to specify that you are a man.

It appears to give accurate HRM readings - which is the main reason I got it; and why I give it 4 stars.

However when running, whilst I can easily read the HRM readout, I cannot read the stopwatch readout above it as it is too small, and the black on grey type of screen adds to the difficulty.

Also the instructions are not easy to follow but you can eventually work out how to do what you (I anyway) want.

So far as I know it is possible to change the monitor battery without returning it to the manufacturer - which is another reason why I bought it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5