Profile for Owen Adams > Reviews

Content by Owen Adams

Owen Adams "illogicology" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gold Switchable Scart to 3 Phono & S-Video Adaptor
Gold Switchable Scart to 3 Phono & S-Video Adaptor

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to output pass True S-Video or RGB Scart. Only composite., 22 July 2016
I bought this product because I own a capture card that takes S-Video and a lot of old games consoles that only output in European video standards like RGB scart. I wanted an adaptor that would let me connect my RGB Scart output my Gamecube and connect it to the S-Video input on the capture card. The result only half works, the connecting this adapter between the two cables allows me to capture a fill colour, full resolution picture from the Scart output which is useful for devices that only have Scart, however, the picture appears to be the same as composite. Colours come through a bit better than the standard Composite cable from the Gamecube did, but there is a LOT of distortion.

I suspect what is happening is that the adapter does not actually convert anything directly to S-Video, but converts to Composite, for the composite out, and then converts that again to S-Video hence none of the benefits of the better RGB output carry across. If you want this adapter simple to convert composite to scart, or vice versa, it's probably fine, but if you want it for the S-Video, you'll probably have the same luck if you just hook up the composite cables.

Universal Mini Tripod Holder Mount Stand For Apple iPhone Various Mobile Phones Camera - Holds New iPhone 6 / iPhone 5 5G 5S & 5C / iPhone 4 4G 4S / iPhone 3 3G / iPod 5th Generation - Adjustable Holder & Legs For Mobile Phone Camera Shot.
Offered by ENTITY-Trade Park

4.0 out of 5 stars It's compact but pretty sturdy. The legs feel tight and well made ..., 2 Dec. 2015
I picked this up so I could do some quick video reviews from my desk. It's compact but pretty sturdy. The legs feel tight and well made and the grip that holds the phone doesn't feel like it will do any damage. All in all, cheap but functional and fit for purpose.

Pergear® Detachable 144Hz 3D Active Shutter Glasses for DLP-LINK 3D Projector (1 Pair)
Offered by Emgreat (Shipping time 7-15 days)

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional but flimsy., 2 Dec. 2015
I'm really divided on just how to review this product. I settled for 3 Stars in the end because I genuinely believe that working, compatible active shutter glasses at this price point deserves a positive review despite the flaws. The glasses are DLP link compatible and work very nicely with my Optima H180x projector. When first looking through them, they appear to have a slight yellowish tint to them, but once they sync up this vanishes and is replaced by a fairly clear image. They do darken the picture a little, but this is an issue with all forms of 3D and no worse than the passive glasses on my HDTV. Synchronisation is very easy, you press a button on the top to turn them on, a red light flashed until it syncs and then you're good to go. Press the button again when you're done and the glasses flash for a bit then power down. I've used the glasses a couple of times since I purchased them (I'm not a massive 3D watcher) and they've always made it through the entire film without losing sync or any visual glitches. All in all, from a technical perspective I have been very pleased with them for the price.

However, all they good stuff has to be balanced out somewhere, and here it's the handles. There's a real problem with the plastic in the frame which appears to be far too brittle for the detachable handles. On both pairs I purchased, but handles have actually snapped the fitting where they are supposed to slot. This was done with nothing more than gently putting them on and taking them off. The problem is wider spread than just a bad batch sent to me however, as this is a common complaint these glasses are currently receiving from other sellers. However, after snapping all four handles off, I found a quick superglue job fixed them right up and left them feeling far more solid that before. If you don't mind keeping the handles attached all the time, it turns a flimsy piece of kit into a nice, solid bit of hardware. Other slight niggles include a battery compartment that never fully closes and a slightly uncomfortable angular construction that rubs the nose after a while.

If you're thinking about buying these and you're on a tight budget, I can still recommend them. You will almost certainly break the handles if you don't crack out the glue straight away, and yet active shutters don't come cheap. There's room in the market for something with a few niggling flaws that still gets the job done.

Marketing Your Book On Amazon: 21 Things You Can Easily Do For Free To Get More Exposure and Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars A practical little book that puts together some good, basic advice but never really excels., 9 Nov. 2012
Marketing Your Book on Amazon is a short eBook that compiles together the various steps involved in promoting a self published book. This book is not a bad book. The title and product description are accurate and it earns its three stars without a hitch. However, I could not rate it any higher as it really doesn't excel in any area. Furthermore, while the information in this book is all clear, correct and helpful, none of it is really wisdom that you could only learn by purchasing. In fact, most of its advice will be given to a prospective author freely by the eBook publishing community. It does have value in putting together a lot of basic advice in one place, and I think it would be very useful to someone who was only just starting to look at self publishing. It would also make quite a good check list for anyone to go through after uploading a book. However, its more like a Quick-Start guide or crib sheet than a meaty instruction manual.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 2:00 PM GMT

Lacuna
Lacuna

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong sci-fi adventure with few surprises, but a lot of fun., 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Lacuna (Kindle Edition)
Lacuna: Demons of the Void is a space-hopping science fiction novel with a strong military them to it. This is not normally the kind of book I enjoy, but I found it a very compelling read.

The story opens with an alien attack on the Earth. This unprovoked and mysterious assault leads Earth's bigger power blocks to construct three massive starships to make up the core of Earth's defence. It's a good set up, but once the foundations are set, the book uses them to explore concepts of personal politics, multicultural interaction and even a bit of gender politics. In true Star Trek fashion, we get to see science fiction used to explore the world around us a little more. Overall, the book reminded me a lot of both Star Trek and the Mass Effect games, which is a nice genre to see explored in original fiction.

There were a few problems that jarred me as I read through, mainly that the story sometimes unfolds a little conveniently. Characters always seem to find just what they need, just in time, with just enough spanners thrown in the works to stop it being too easy. But, this is a small gripe and definitely not a deal breaker.

I can recommend Lacuna to anyone who enjoys a good sci-fi/action read. The plot bounces along nicely and it's all set within a universe that has a lot of character. I will definitely be buying the second book in the series.

Crysis Warhead (PC DVD)
Crysis Warhead (PC DVD)
Offered by scaddingk

1.0 out of 5 stars A nice expansion to the original Crysis game, unfortunately it is deliberately defective out of the box., 11 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Crysis Warhead (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game is a nice little extension of the first Crysis, the story is sort of a parallel continuation in that you interact with the same events from a different part of the island. Very clever. Unfortunately I didn't get to play it for too long as I bought it before a brief period of upgrading my PC.

I installed the game, activated. Played a bit of this and Crysis (both purchased at the same time.) After deciding they were showing my PC its age, I decided to add hardware to my machine. I bought I new graphics card: bang, another activation gone. Then I put in some more memory, another gone. Finally I upgraded my processor and away went another. Finally, after all these upgrades I decided I clean install of vista was in order. As I came to install Crysis: Warhead again, no luck. It had decided I was out of coins. After paying a rather large phone bill to contact EA (the don't offer a british number, you have to phone the united states) I was informed rather rudely that "It is not EA policy to place idiots on their phones, only a thief could not provide proof of purchase." Frankly, how I was to show them a receipt down the phone was beyond me, I do not a have a scanner to email them such a thing.

I was disgusted at the service and WILL NOT be purchasing a product with limited activation again.

Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Spore (Mac/PC DVD)
Offered by 4GamersUK

1.0 out of 5 stars An example of dishonest, selfish product design., 9 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Spore (Mac/PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Firstly let me just say that this game isn't bad, it's not great but not bad. The concept is fun if short lived and while it doesn't live up to the hype it's still worth a play.
What makes this game a disappointment is the outrageous DRM system that forbids you from installing the game more than three times. Furthermore, it installs potentially harmful software onto your machine. What is more sinister is that Electronic Arts and Amazon.co.uk have somehow succeeded in preventing anyone from warning potential buyers. For more honest and accurate reviews of this product I would advise customers to check the reviews at Amazon.com

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Xbox 360)
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars An example of perfect video game design., 12 Mar. 2008
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga is one of the best games ever made. There are three reasons for this, firstly it is very fun. The gameplay is perfectly designed so that the levels can be finished by a young child without too much frustration. However, they have also been designed to incorporate so much depth, so many opportunities to go back and find things you missed before, that the older gamer has plenty to see here too.
Secondly, Lego Star Wars looks wonderful through its simplicity. The game does not overreach itself and looks fantastic as a cute, cartoony game that still manages to be absorbing. Graphic power isn't important but presentation is, this game succeeds.
Thirdly, this is one of the most authentic, entertaining Star Wars games ever made. A delightfully charming, tongue-in-cheek approach to the series is taken and it works perfectly.

This game should be played by everyone.

New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Complexia Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Mario gaming., 22 July 2007
The chances are if you're reading this review then you own a nintendo DS, it is also very likely that you're played a Mario bros. game before. If you haven't, where have you been since 1985?
If you enjoy Mario games, specifically the pre-3D titles, then this is the perfect addition to your DS library. The basic gameplay is very similar to games from the original Mario Bros. titles and at times feels like a remake of the original 1985 title on the NES. Early levels seem to have been taken directly from the original game with a few new twists added for the DS generation. The conventions of Mario games setup over twenty years ago still play wonderfully today and the game is one of the most entertaining platformers I've ever played.
Graphically speaking, the game is lovely. Using a combination of 3D models and 2D sprites the game excels at both and they fit together perfectly. One of the better looking DS titles.
As and added bonus, the game includes a good selection of many games. Most have been taken from DS' Mario 64 but it's nice to have them as a bonus.

A must for any DS owner.

Nintendo DS Browser (Nintendo DS Lite)
Nintendo DS Browser (Nintendo DS Lite)
Offered by SupernovaUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Effectively Useless, 22 July 2007
The concept of the browser for DS and DS Lite is simple, an Opera based web browser optimised for the system allowing you to view web pages on your Nintendo handheld. While it accomplishes this the end result is effectively useless, the Nintendo DS just was not designed for web browsing and this is very obvious. Reading most text requires zooming in to a degree that excessive scrolling is required, loading speeds are generally slow and macromedia flash is not possible due to the memory limitations.
While having a web browser on the DS has its uses, it is rarely as enjoyable as using a computer. This combined with the limited functionality of the browser create a heavily overpriced item. For the £20-£30 people are spending, this needed to be something above expectations. It isn't.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3