Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (Yorkshire)

Shackled to my Family
Shackled to my Family

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, Not Engaging and One Sided, 28 July 2014
After reading 'Shame' by Jasvinder Sanghera and 'Belonging' by Sameem Ali, both excellent books on the subject of forced marriage, along with 'Shamed' by Sarbjit Kaur Athwal regarding the honour killing of her sister in law and also a very inspiring and well written book I had high hopes for 'Shackled to my Family' by Samina Younis.

Unfortunately this book is a very poor relation to the previous mentioned books, very poorly written, with no cohesion or flow, and as a result it is very difficult to get into and root for the writer and her sister.

Though I have nothing but respect for a woman who has clearly escaped a forced marriage and violent family the story does feel one sided and without a clear end point, in fact the book ends on a particularly low note. After taking us through the first 16 years of her life in detail the end feels rushed and incomplete.

It is for these reasons not a book I can recommend nor will re read and do not feel it should be a paid for book at all. 1/5, I feel bad saying I hate it but I really, really didn't enjoy it and only finished it out of hope it would get better. It didn't.

Peppa Pig Patchwork Swim Bag
Peppa Pig Patchwork Swim Bag

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but not Durable, 15 Jan. 2014
I bought this in the sale for £2.99 for my daughter for swimming and I don't think it was worth any more than that. She loves it, and the fact it's clear means she can see all her swimming things, too.

Unfortunately as a parent I'm not very happy with it for the following reasons -

- it smells so strongly of plastic, which takes ages to fade off.
- it's very rigid and the lack of flexibility has caused the plastic to tear at the side, I've had to mend it with sellotape after only a month of use (swimming twice a week).
- the carry strap is on one side only unlike a drawstring bag which allows you to wear the bag like a rucksack. For my near three year old it's almost impossible to carry.
- The thick plastic has no breathing holes so her swimming thinks come home reeking of chlorine and soaking wet, obviously I wash them every time but this bag brings home half the pool whereas my swimming bag (a breathable drawstring bag) keeps the clothes damp not soaking.

Overall I'd not really recommend this; my daughter loves Peppa but I'll be getting her a drawstring bag when this one tears again.

Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box
Lifemax Light Pod 107a SAD Simulated Daylight Box

5.0 out of 5 stars An Affordable SAD Light that WORKS!, 8 Nov. 2012
Apparently 1 in 3 people suffer some form of Seasonal Affective Disorder or mild depression when the winter sets in and you're waking up and going to work, then coming home in the darkness. The lack of sunlight can really affect our mood and as the dark nights set in I recognised a tired, listless, low feeling I'd had the previous year, and I'd wondered then, do I have SAD? I never wanted to take pills for it, but I decided to try light therapy. I was expecting to pay £50+ at the very least and I was amazed to find the Lifemax Light Pod for under £30 and free delivery. It came the next day (Prime) and I love it. It's about the size of an A3 notebook and comes with a wall plug and instructions. It's so light and compact I can use it anywhere in the house, even wall mount it. After 2 days of use I already feel revitalised, less tired at night and with more 'get up and go'. It's not a miracle cure but it certainly helps and I've noticed a very defined difference.

If you are thinking of trying one of these then go for it, it's a briliantly affordable SAD light which works well and I only wish I'd bought one years ago. Just 20 - 30 minutes a day whilst I'm having my morning cuppa sets me up for the day. I highly recommend this light :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 11:56 AM BST

The Gro Company Grobag Peek a Zoo 2.5 Tog Baby Sleep Bag (0-6 Months)
The Gro Company Grobag Peek a Zoo 2.5 Tog Baby Sleep Bag (0-6 Months)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, but we didn't use it that much, 16 Feb. 2012
You can buy gro bags cheaper on the high street, but even so, this is a particularly nice gro bag, and very well made.

As I didn't know what sex my baby would be we decorated the nursery in a jungle theme and this bag went well with it.

I wouldn't say that my daughter has had all that much use out of it, because it sits quite close to her chin and milk from her night feeds would spill onto it, meaning I'd take it off, have to wash it, and then she'd sleep under her blanket.

I know there is a safety aspect with these sleeping bags and maybe if our house was colder we'd have used it more, but as our house is hot, 2.5tog was maybe a bit much for her.

If you're having a winter baby, and your house is cold, I recommend this bag as it is soft, safe and warm, but otherwise, you might have something else to spend your pennies on!

Tuscany Silver Sterling Silver White Cubic Zirconia Teardrop and Stone Set Bale Pendant on Adjustable Curb Chain Necklace of 41cm/16"-46cm/18"

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty, delicate gift for sparkle lovers, 16 Feb. 2012
This necklace is very pretty, the chain is slight (but strong) and the teardrop cubic zirconia is about the size of a 5p piece, and is very sparkly and pretty.

It comes in a black gift box with foam insert and overall looks like a very nice, classy gift (not cheap or tacky). I recommend it, it's a lovely gift.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely toy and a great gift, 16 Feb. 2012
I must admit I paid less than the advertised £19.99 price currently on Amazon, I think anything on or under £10 is a good price for this novelty gift.

It's basically a white plastic birthday cake with light up candles, which you can blow out (theres a mic on the front of the unit which picks up the breath). You can play counting games on it, or sing Happy Birthday. It's suitable from about 10 months plus, but obviously it's ideal as a first birthday present.

It's durable, the voices are English (which not all LeapFrog toys are) and it's just a lovely idea. I bought one as a gift, and then bought another for my daughter!

Overall a great toy, if you can get it at a good price - £19.99 is a bit steep.

D&G DW0190 Gents Apache Unbranded
D&G DW0190 Gents Apache Unbranded

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, 26 Dec. 2008
Purchased this watch as a Christmas gift - came in 3 days. Looks fantastic - silver presentation box, bag, instruction manual and authenticity card.
Looks fantastic - quality strap with engraved D&G to the clasp and backplate, and a large but understated face. The hands have luminous ends in low light so you can see the time when you're out at night.
My fiance loved it and it looks great on - it's a really classy watch and it's not too in your face. Love it, so glad I bought it.