Profile for E. R. > Reviews

Content by E. R.

E. R.

Harry's Last Stand: How the world my generation built is falling down, and what we can do to save it
by Harry Leslie Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, 6 Jun. 2014
How often is it that we get to hear the voice of someone from Harry's generation? Harry is a current thinker, a strong, human voice from a generation we too often dismiss as having no real grasp on today's concerns and patronise for being nostalgic. Harry's Last Stand is essential reading for people of all ages - it holds a mirror up to our government, it shows us that we're headed somewhere very dark indeed - back to a time before NHS, a time when the poor were left to starve. Should be on the curriculum in the UK - a man straddling so many different eras - he's the closest we have to a time traveler.

The Gamal
The Gamal

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the funniest most beautiful book ever, that's all., 27 May 2013
This review is from: The Gamal (Kindle Edition)
I read this book a couple of months ago and it has stayed with me. At points I was blown away by the skill of this writer, had to put the book down and stay very still thinking about what I'd just read. On top of that it has to be one of the funniest books I've read this year. I can't imagine how the author will follow this one up, but I fully intend to read everything he writes. Fans of Donal Ryan's The Spinning Heart will love this.

Things We Didn't See Coming
Things We Didn't See Coming
by Steven Amsterdam

5.0 out of 5 stars A writer to watch, 26 Sept. 2012
I recently re read this book, after reading Amsterdam's second novel What the Family Needed. They are very different books but equally wonderful, I can't recommend them enough. The plague section in Thing We Didn't See Coming has really stayed with me. I've seen the author talk a number of times, and he comes across as genuine and funny and very interesting, just like his work.

What the Family Needed
What the Family Needed
by Steven Amsterdam

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic in both senses, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: What the Family Needed (Paperback)
What I loved the most about this book, aside from the humour, the beautiful writing, and the pitch perfect voice, was that it's about very ordinary superheroes. The quiet parts of life with magic applied to them are still the quiet parts of life. Genuinely moving and tender, a fantastic second novel. It made me re read his first book, which is also wonderful. A good feeling, to discover an author and to know that you will look forward to reading everything he ever writes.

Another Country
Another Country
by Anjali Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and wonderful, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Another Country (Hardcover)
This is the story of a young woman looking for a place to feel settled in Paris, London and then Bombay. Joseph is extremely funny and sharp-eyed, and searingly truthful. Proper writing, of the kind that gets overlooked for not banging a drum. Loved it.

Up Pohnpei: Leading the ultimate football underdogs to glory
Up Pohnpei: Leading the ultimate football underdogs to glory
by Paul Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars For humans as well as footballers, 9 Feb. 2012
I'm not that interested in football, but after reading the first page of this book I was hooked. It's funny and great and above all a really interesting human story. Love the bit about the toads.

Grisly Tales from Tumblewater
Grisly Tales from Tumblewater
by Bruno Vincent

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of horror story that makes you warm inside, 13 Jan. 2010
Tumblewater is a place where bad stuff happens to good people. As one character says:
"You'll hear a lot of stories if you spend any time in Tumblewater, but I ought to mention that they're all horrible, and nasty, and scary. I don't really know why that is the case, but it is."

This is a funny, and at times gory book which I couldn't put down. Murderous orphans and insane English teachers, proper old-fashioned gothic creepiness. The steep streets of the old city are the stuff of bad dreams, and the quick-witted narrator never lets the atmosphere get stuck in the mud.

Highly recommended, a great one for reading aloud to kids or for reading to yourself when you're inside, warm, dry and safe.

My Gonads Roar: The twisted world of anagrams - from pop idols to celebrity chefs
by Richard Napier

5.0 out of 5 stars Accidental snotting, 14 Nov. 2008
I bought this book for a friend and he won't stop quoting from it. Sometimes it catches you unaware and you snot accidentally in public. Very funny indeed, and great to see such a high class, important publisher dealing taking it on.

The Snot Book
The Snot Book
by Staffan Gnosspelius

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and funny snots, 20 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Snot Book (Paperback)
This book is really at the cutting edge of book illustration, you can lose yourself in the inner workings of the design. A funny book, an enlightening book, a disgusting book, but above all a beautifuly illustrated book. My kids love it and i love it. More please Mr Gnospelius, or whatever your name is.