Profile for E. Charnley > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A Pentatonix Christmas
A Pentatonix Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Dec. 2016
I have recently discovered this group of superbly talented singers.

The arrangements on some of the much-loved holiday songs are breathtaking.

This will be playing as often as possible and is uplifting and very special.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Hype, 5 Dec. 2016
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Paperback)
I am an avid reader and this was on my list. Read it but not a page turner for me. I had worked out the killer if not the finer details before the end, which took the suspense away.
Glad I had not rushed to buy it until there was a special price.

I love the idea, as we are all prone to look into windows as we pass on our daily commute by bus or train.

Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of Fatima
by William Thomas Walsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise read, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Our Lady of Fatima (Paperback)
This book clearly gives all the information required to learn of the story of Our Lady of Fatima. Bought for my father in law, who really enjoyed it.

Offered by BLUEGOLDFISH1963

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and melodic: Musical Medicine To Soothe The Heart and Soul, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Let's Go Out Tonight (Audio CD)
Let's Go Out Tonight

This album reminds me of an earlier recording from the 1990's, 'Brighter Days', a much overlooked body of work. All in all, a very distinctive sound that is a blend of all Stigers' earlier material and draws on his deep knowledge from a wide spectrum of music.

The latest offering has a different sound to his previous releases having a very intimate feel to it, and covers the timeless story of love. Wonderful songs that are given a sparse interpretation that is haunting and draws you in like a moth to a flame. At times, you feel as if you are eavesdropping on a personal heartbreak, so delicately crafted is the melancholy in the lyrics.

This CD, has introduced me to artists I've never heard of, through Stigers' inclusion of their material. From country singer Hayes Carll to David Poe, who specifically wrote 'Everyone Loves Lovers' for Stigers, on to more familiar 1980's band Blue Nile (Scotland) and, antipodean, Neil Finn of Crowded House fame.

On more familiar ground Stigers covers Bob Dylan and Steve Earle with songs that deliver pathos with a punch and attitude.

For me, this CD meshes together all that is special about Curtis Stigers, an artist who puts the lyrics first and allows the song to shine through.

A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
A Celebration of Classic MGM Film Musicals [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Curtis Stigers

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully spectacular, delightful and delicious!, 19 July 2010
As others have commented before me, this DVD is a pure delight, and given the fact the BBC were inundated with requests for repeats, I guess they accepted this was *the* highlight show of the Proms Season.

John Wilson is a genuis, deserving of an Oscar or even a Knighthood, for his epic task in bringing all of this original score music back to life.

The orchestra was sublime. The vocalists truly showed their love for the music and lyrics, their enjoyment shone through. Particularly, I enjoyed the duet between Seth McFarlane and Curtis Stigers and I hope that a remake of 'High Society' is now on the cards, with these as the main male characters.

If only the BBC would use more of our licence fee to produce such spectacular entertainment as this more often, instead of endless celebrity/reality TV shows.

As an aside, John Wilson is involved in 'The John Lennon Songbook', which I saw in Liverpool last year and it was an amazing piece of work. Catch it if you can before it goes to China, which is where it heads later in 2010.

Lost in Dreams
Lost in Dreams
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN I GIVE THIS A 10?, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Lost in Dreams (Audio CD)
I have recently seen a show on the UK tour, with tracks from this CD performed live, which brings a whole new dimension to the material contained within. The backing trio are tight knit and have a lot of fun making great music.

For the CD itself, from the first to last tracks - this is a joy to listen to.

As we have come to expect Mr Stigers includes a mix of modern material, standards and some self-penned material.

I always eagerly anticipate the song list for a new Stigers CD - this one does not fail. From material as diverse as John Lennon's "Jealous Guy", Annie Lennox's "Cold" through old standards such as "My Funny Valentine" and "Wee Small Hours of the Morning" to original material such as "Fever" you are led on a musical journey that encompasses every emotion known to mankind - and then some!

Could Buble do better? Check out this CD and see for yourself. I doubt it very much.

The Black Madonna of Derby
The Black Madonna of Derby
by Joanna Czechowska

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful gem of a read!, 22 Feb. 2009
The Black Madonna of Derby took me by surprise. Being set in Derby, I started to read a book about the town in which I live, but I could not put this novel down. I became so involved in the lives of these three generations of women with a Polish heritage/culture which - apart from the Polish element - so mirrored my own experiences of growing up in an ever-changing UK.
Written with a gentle humour, the characters spring to life. You can see them in your mind's eye struggling with their own problems.
I could relate their lives to those of my own maternal line, especially as it was set in the ever-changing 60's when young women felt more empowered than their mothers and grandmothers.
It could also be set in today's world, with other cultures being represented who are facing the same generation gap - between the *home country* and *birth country* causing friction within the home.
This is well worth a read, and the author could well turn her hand to a story about The Black Madonna itself, as I am sure she could weave any story around the history of this famous painting.
I await the next offering with anticipation and if that is also set in Derby, it would be a bonus!

Real Emotional
Real Emotional
Offered by InMusicWeBelieve

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Real Emotional Gems!, 1 April 2007
This review is from: Real Emotional (Audio CD)
This new offering from the singular Mr. Stigers is once again a melting pot of material given the 'Stigers treatment'. From Paul Simon to Hoagy Carmichael, Mose Allison to Stephin Merritt (who? - I know I'd never heard of him either), this collection of 12 songs is a roller coaster ride of emotion, out-pouring of love, and love lost, and I adore every minute of it.

I thank Curtis Stigers for making me more adventurous in my choice of music, as I go to check out all these artists I've never heard of before, finding myself with a wider, more eclectic musical collection than ever before.

I've never heard an accordian being used on a modern piece of music, so check out Track 1 for the haunting strains of that instrument.

Track 2 was familiar to me as a musical piece, it was co-written with Jake Stigers, younger brother of Curtis. It is a goose-bump making, heartfelt love song! Curtis has made the lyrics much more appropriate to his own lady love, Amy.

Track 6, written by Curtis with Larry Goldings is a great, slow latin number that would be great for any salsa or latin dance clubs out there to play, it just makes you want to get up and shake those hips!

Once again, this one will always be in my CD player.

I Think It's Going To Rain Today
I Think It's Going To Rain Today

5.0 out of 5 stars It Amazes Me ..., 8 May 2005
I purchased this CD from the States where it has been released since mid-April.
Yet another wonderful and eclectic collection from the talented Curtis Stigers, plus two self-written songs which are a most welcome feature for this long-time fan. Sentimental, romantic and timeless.
I urge anyone to go check it out, and hope that this site will have sample tracks available before the release date.
Anyone who saw Curtis during early 2005 will have heard some of this material tried out - "My Babe" and "That"s All Right" being fabulous upbeat numbers and Willie Nelson's "Crazy" being very much a show stopper!
The title track is a beautiful song, and "It Amazes Me" is sublime.
Two of the numbers are songs not recognised by me, Mose Allison's "Everybody Cryin' Mercy" is extremely relevant to these troubled times we live in, and the bonus track "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."
If you want to see Curtis live, he will be appearing in London during June 2005.

You Inspire Me
You Inspire Me

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T THINK TWICE - BUY IT!, 18 Oct. 2003
This review is from: You Inspire Me (Audio CD)
This is the third cd to be released on the Concord Label, and it is clear to see that artistic freedom is alive and well!!
"You Inspire Me" crosses all musical boundaries, from standards that will always be covered - through country to pop, and Curtis blends them into one amazing melting pot of great songs. Performed live is even better : catch a show if you ever have opportunity, you will not be disappointed.
Material by Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard and Irving Berlin all being performed on a jazz cd - where else could you find a singer brave enough to do this, and succeed ?
From 1960's pop songs given a jazz groove to the much-loved Chet Baker's "I Fall In Love Too Easily" being turned on its head and still sounding amazing.
Larry Goldings - is a genuis! This was the one track I had concerns about (as I love the original) but this one gets my vote too. I love what has been done here with the B-3 organ.
Mr. Stigers : you've done it again. Long may you continue to perform such wonderful material.

Page: 1 | 2