Profile for Penally Crow > Reviews

Content by Penally Crow

Penally Crow "Pembrokeshire" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL 5.7 inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL 5.7 inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive disappointment, 15 Dec. 2015
Phone arrived yesterday - was really looking forward to it as I've been on board for windows phones since the early days. So far I'm really disappointed - the build quality feels poor and plasticcy, the back snaps off too easily and doesn't go back on well leaving me worried that until I can get a decent case for it this thing is going to fall apart or just break at the first knock. The screen is too small (I've been using a Lumia 1520 and -yes I do have vision problems) so I cant read kindle on it easily and gaming is out of the question.
I cant seem to get rid of Microsoft Edge in favour of another web browser and i hate the fact that you cant uninstall the things that Microsoft thinks you have to have like Bing weather, Microsoft wallet and Xbox. Cant get Here maps or Here Drive which I use ALL the time and I hate the new USB connector which doesn't fit anything else I own meaning I cant just take one charger with me when I travel. The volume controls are too close to the on/off button so you are constantly adjusting the sound when you mean to shut the display down.

On the plus side the display is crystal clear, I like the removable battery and easily accessible memory card and sim card slots which were a
problem with the 1520. I will give it another 24 hours but I strongly suspect that this phone is going back
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2015 2:50 PM GMT

Osmos HD
Osmos HD

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Osmos HD (App)
Well thought out, beautifully designed game with great graphics and a beautiful sound track, well worth the money. Even better if it's free app of the day

BBC iPlayer Radio
BBC iPlayer Radio

1.0 out of 5 stars awful - why change it for the worse?, 1 May 2014
This review is from: BBC iPlayer Radio (App)
Very disappointed with the changes to the app. Where have my favourites gone? Now have to do a new search each time I want to listen to another episode of a series. The sound is scratchy and doesn't work as well as before and the whole thing stops working altogether when my screen times out and I have to switch the screen back on and reload the programme. Badly thought out huge waste of time. I don't want 2 separate apps for radio and tv.

Hero of Many
Hero of Many

5.0 out of 5 stars A top class winner, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Hero of Many (App)
Beautiful graphics and soundtrack. This is beautiful on all levels. Top marks to the developers for producing a top quality product. I will definitely look out for more apps from these guys. Well worth the purchase price

Nokia Lumia 1520 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows, 32GB) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone, 9 Feb. 2014
This is the second Windows phone that I have owned and I am so happy with it. It is very fast, very easy to use, takes great pictures and connects up all my email accounts for home and 2 businesses plus facebook, twitter etc. I love the large size but I accept that it may not be for everyone and the idea of a previous reviewer to cut one out of cardboard and see how it goes in your pocket and bag etc before purchasing is a very good one.

To anyone out there who has an iphone or android phone and is considering a change - go for it - this is sooooo much better than any other phone I have used.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Having now owned this phone for 6 months I still think it is a great phone but I have to add a couple of things I have discovered. Firstly I didn't realise when I bought this phone that it was from a non-European supplier and Nokia are being difficult about the warranty now that I have a repair issue. If you are not buying this from Nokia then check if the supplier is European or preferably UK based as this may affect your warranty. I may succeed in my argument with Nokia but I may not so be careful folks - they are not as good customer service-wise as HTC.
Secondly the device is prone to software freezes - have had 3 instances now where I have had to resort to the Nokia software recovery tool to re-boot a sulking handset which in 6 months of ownership is not great - had NO issues ever with my old HTC Windows 7 phone but maybe its a newer technology bug thing....Just be aware that this may happen and its very frustrating and time-wasting.

Beyond Ynth HD
Beyond Ynth HD

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent - will keep you going for days, 5 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Beyond Ynth HD (App)
Good graphics, great concept and clever puzzles. Glad I got this as free app of the day but would happily have paid as there are hours and hours of gameplay here well done

Granny Smith
Granny Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old stuff, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Granny Smith (App)
I've given it 2 stars because the graphics are nice but it's just another linear run as fast as you can and collect coins game. No real skill involved and no real variety except that the background picture changes and you have to go faster and faster. Not a physics based game of skill. Have uninstalled

100 Doors - Underground
100 Doors - Underground

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about all the pop up ads, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 100 Doors - Underground (App)
This was quite a good game with some interesting puzzles at various levels of difficulty. BUT I have uninstalled it without completing it due to the constant pop up ads in the middle of the screen. The ones at the bottom of the screen were bad enough but every level was interrupted by a pop up which you then had to click on the close button to get rid of. If you inadvertently clicked on the ad, my screen froze for ages while my kindle fire tried to download the page and I couldn't cancel it. Very frustrating. Avoid

4Pics 1Word- What's the Word Init
4Pics 1Word- What's the Word Init

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the effort, 28 Aug. 2013
This app has all the usual cross cultural difficulties of any word or picture game seeking to appeal to the entire Anglophone world. Some of the word usage and pictures are USA-centric and therefore not really relevant to brits or aussies etc. The picture quality is patchy making it hard to tell what some clues are and some of the pictures have watermarks on - has the copyright even been cleared? It is also pitifully simple for anyone with even an average vocabulary - is it aimed at kids? I also object to the use of a picture of a gentleman in Arab dress to illustrate the word 'war'. Have uninstalled.

factory balls
factory balls

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshingly original, 30 July 2013
This review is from: factory balls (App)
Really enjoyed this game. The graphics are clean and simple and unfussy. The concept is fun and more challenging than it seems at first. Wish there were more levels though. Well done to the developers I will look for more of your work.

Page: 1 | 2