Profile for M. E. Newell > Reviews

Content by M. E. Newell

M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Art Of Falling
The Art Of Falling
by Deborah Lawrenson

2.0 out of 5 stars So Boring, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Art Of Falling (Paperback)
I have to say that I purchased this book because it looked really interesting. But I have to say that this book was really boring. I kept putting it down and then picking it back up. But after putting it done the final time I am done with it. I just can't pick it back Others may have enjoyed it but "The Art Of Falling" was not for me.

Race to Splendor
Race to Splendor
by Ciji Ware

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay but not much more, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Race to Splendor (Paperback)
Amelia Bradshaw has comes to San Francisco to face JD Thayer a man who is trying to take over her Grandfather's hotel. After a losing the court case Amelia is able to find a job with Julia Morgan, the first female architect in the state of California. But then the earthquake of 1906 and the Bay View is destroyed and Amelia finds herself in the position of helping to rebuild it. But it will be a challenge to make that happen.
"A Race to Splendor" by Ciji Ware was an okay book. At times it felt like the book was dragging and I did have to force myself to stick with the book. The characters were not that interesting and seem to lacked depth. Overall "A Race to Splendor" was an okay book but will not be staying on my shelf.

Waterloo Sunset
Waterloo Sunset
by Judith Saxton

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quick and Easy Read, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Waterloo Sunset (Hardcover)
Sixteen year old Barbara Campion runs off from her uncle when he receives an offer of marriage from a older man. She is trying to get to Harry Kimberley who has gone to Belgium to be with Wellington's army. The only was for Barbara to go is to disguised as a stableboy. Harry is of course less than thrilled to see Barbara and now she finds herself eyewitness to one of the most important battle in history.
"Waterloo Sunset" by Judith Saxton was a pretty decent yet a short book. It seem that this would have been more interesting if it had been longer. But overall "Waterloo Sunset" was an okay book.

Act Of Love (Palace Theatre Trilogy 1)
Act Of Love (Palace Theatre Trilogy 1)
by Iris Gower
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars It was really that bad, 14 Mar. 2014
Ella Burton has started working at The Palace as cleaner. It is hard work but she really enjoys it. But her father and fate has other plans for her. Soon Ella finds herself married with five step-daughters. But Ella will not forget her dreams.
I have to say that I really didn't enjoy "Act of Love" by Iris Gower. The characters were boring and lacked any depth to them. I can't believe that this book got published. It was just that uninteresting and I have to say I am sorry that I spent my hard earned money on it.

Skylarks At Sunset
Skylarks At Sunset
by Rita Bradshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Skylarks At Sunset (Paperback)
Hope Woodrow and her younger sister have moved to Sunderland's East End after both of her parents die. One day she meet Daniel Fallow, the son of Abe Fallow man trying to make sure his son marry someone respectful and that does not mean Hope. But Hope and Daniel will not be kept apart and they marry with out anyone knowing. But the worsening Depression and twins on the Daniel goes back to Abe for work and Hope wonders if that is a choice that ruin her family for ever.
"Skylarks at Sunset" by Rita Bradshaw was a pretty good book. Ms. Bradshaw give the reader interesting characters and good storyline. The book had a nice pace and held my interest. Overall, "Skylarks at Sunset" was a good book.

Big Girl Panties: A Novel
Big Girl Panties: A Novel
by Stephanie Evanovich

2.0 out of 5 stars Sending the wrong message, 7 Mar. 2014
Holly Brennan didn't expect to be a widow at 32 years old, but here she is. In the year of since her husband's death, food has been Holly's best friend. But a chance meeting with Logan Montgomery, personal trainer to the stars changes her life. So Holly is working out and becoming the woman that she to be. But Holly's relationship with Logan is also changing for the better.
I really wanted to like "Big Girl Panties" by Stephanie Evanovich but the more that I read the less that I liked it. It seemed that at time the message that the author was sending was only if you are slim that you can get the guy and not that just because someone is bigger they can't find love. I have to say that I was very happy that it didn't cost me any money to read "Big Girl Panties" cause it would not have been worth the price.

Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii
Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii
by Bodie Thoene

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Finds You in Lahaina Hawaii, 2 Mar. 2014
In 1973 Sandi Smith comes to Hawaii as part of a research project, as she tries to deal with the pain of not knowing the fate of POW husband. While there is meet Hannah, the oldest living woman in Lahaina. While talking to Hannah she learns about Princess Victoria Cleghorn, the Crown Princess of Hawaii and the two men that are vying for her. Clive, the son of her English guardian and Andrew, a young man she meant of a ocean trip. But time of are changing a Hawaii will not be the same.
"Love Finds You in Lahaina, Hawaii" by Bodie Thoene was a good book. I have to admit that I didn't know much about Hawaiian history and I have to admit that book makes me want to learn more. This was a really good book, with interesting characters.

Ruby
Ruby
by Marie Maxwell

2.0 out of 5 stars It was okay but not that good, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ruby (Paperback)
Ruby Blakeley is returning to London from rural Melton and it is not a warm welcome. Ruby's only friend is Johnnie Riordan and after Ruby become pregnant Ruby runs back to Melton for help. After having her child Ruby begins to forge a new life with friend Gracie McCabe. But the past is not far behind and Ruby will need to face it to have a future.
I really want to like "Ruby" by Marie Maxwell but I could not. It was a simple plot and the characters were not interesting. I felt that "Ruby" lacked a emotional payoff that I was hoping for. Others may have like "Ruby" but I didn't.

An Arranged Marriage
An Arranged Marriage
by Sara Hylton

2.0 out of 5 stars An Arranged Marriage, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: An Arranged Marriage (Paperback)
Lisa Foreshaw is a young woman who struggles between two worlds and Lisa and her mother are considered poor relations by other members of their family. Despite this Lisa falls in Love with Dominic, the future Lord Hazelmere. Unknown to Lisa Dominic is hiding a secret that if it comes to light it will destroy him. But Dominic's mother has a plan to fix everything and Lisa is at the center of it, even if cost Lisa her freedom and happiness.
"An Arranged Marriage" by Saral Hylton was an okay book, but to me not a keeper. I just had a hard time liking any of the characters and I struggled to the end of the book.

One Step at a Time
One Step at a Time
by Beryl Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars One Step at a Time, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: One Step at a Time (Paperback)
Fifteen year old Amy Carter is struggling with the fact that she can't read or write. But her biggest challenge comes when her father is tried and convicted of murder. Within a week both of her parents are gone. But with the help of two new friends Ben and Howard, Amy is able to a new family at Mrs. Dalton's boarding house. Though the years Amy grows and get a family of her own, but the war is coming and the family will find themselves apart for years.
"One Step at a Time" by Beryl Matthews is a really good book. Ms. Matthews give the reader characters that they care about and they are able to hold the reader's attention. "One Step at a Time" is a really good book and I am sorry that it sat my shelf unread for so long.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20