Profile for M.S. Tru > Reviews

Content by M.S. Tru

M.S. Tru "Bookworm" (Cambridge, UK)

The Museum of Extraordinary Things
The Museum of Extraordinary Things

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Hoffman novel, 28 Jun. 2015
I love Hoffman's writing and this book was no exception. Vivid characters, important historical events brought to life in engaging fashion and the traditional Hoffman love story for good measure. Although I'm a bigger fan of her earlier work, this book is well crafted and the triple point of view device works well. Although there is a good deal of exposition that makes the novel slow-going at first, it totally pays off at the end.

The Broken Bridge
The Broken Bridge
by Philip Pullman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for teens, 28 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Broken Bridge (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was twelve or thirteen and, going back to it now, in my early twenties, still find it fresh and interesting. Coming from an ethnically mixed family myself, with complicated arrangements involving half-children etc., I could relate to the issues of belonging and self-acceptance in the book. The main character is engaging and thought-provoking, and the whole thing is just beautifully written. I loved the His Dark Materials trilogy, but was just as delighted to find this relatively little-known gem by Philip Pullman.