Profile for D. Wootton > Reviews

Content by D. Wootton

D. Wootton (Brighton, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Includes free download of That's You) - PS4
Sony Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Includes free download of That's You) - PS4

5.0 out of 5 stars Like an Uncharted Greatest Hits collection, 27 Aug. 2017
Like an Uncharted Greatest Hits collection, all the best innovations of the previous 4 are present and correct, with some new features to boot. It's a short game but that's reflected in the price. Plenty of replay value, and great features and Easter eggs. It's visually stunning and it's great fun. Please, Naughty Dog, please make more Uncharted!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Travel Writing (Lonely Planet)
Travel Writing (Lonely Planet)
by Donald W. George

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 27 July 2017
I'm never going to be a travel writer, but this is full of great tips and good common sense advice. It's helped me, definitely, in what I do write, but it's not something you can easily make a living at. I don't mind, I'll just keep travelling!

Goodnight Rhonda Lee
Goodnight Rhonda Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Buy Goodnight Rhonda Lee!, 27 July 2017
This review is from: Goodnight Rhonda Lee (Audio CD)
Nicole never fails to amaze. Her back catalogue is stunning, and this lives up to everything that has gone before. One of my favourite records of 2017.

5.0 out of 5 stars In love., 28 Mar. 2017
This review is from: 810 (MP3 Download)
Best album of 2017 so far.

On a Mission
On a Mission
Offered by mrtopseller

1.0 out of 5 stars At least it ends, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: On a Mission (Audio CD)
If you like to knock stuff off the coffee table, jump on my bladder at 3am, and annihilate small villages with every visit to the litter tray then you're probably my cat. And if that's the case then you HATE this record, because she does. She told me. Hello puss puss. What do I think of it? That's irrelevant. The cat has spoken. Move on.

Oh hell, alright then, here's what I think: when Prometheus was chained to a rock, doomed to an eternity of having his perpetually renewed liver eaten by a giant eagle, he'd have been forgiven for thinking, "it can't get any worse than this!" But he'd have been wrong. This record is so brain-crushingly tedious, so stultifyingly bad, that in comparison being eviscerated until the end of time would be an absolute pleasure.

Ms B has a degree in music from the hallowed Goldsmiths College. If you ever want to argue the case that art degrees are a waste of time* then this album should be exhibit A. On A Mission is an absolute atrocity. The only good thing about it is that it ends.

In a word: hideous.

Rating: 0 out of five. Amazon insisted I give it at least one.

* I don't think art degrees are a waste of time. Don't hit me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 2:10 PM BST

Sixties, The
Sixties, The
by Robert Altman

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful document of a fascinating time, 4 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Sixties, The (Hardcover)
One very small, very minor, very pedantic negative point first: the title is misleading, as the photographs included range from 1967 to 1974. However, Robert Altman writes in his introduction that this isn't a strict document of the 1960s, but of the Sixties spirit in general. Well, fair enough, I say!

Now for the positive: the photographs collected together here are some of the most fascinating and beautiful I have ever seen: hippies dancing, holding hands and embracing; a simply stunning portrait of Peter Fonda; a respectful and beautiful portrait of Sri Swami Satchidananda; the People's Park protests in Berkeley, California; and then on to some of the most popular bands and artists of the era - some you might not have expected, such as Aretha Franklin with Ray Charles, Chuck Berry's duck walk, and Tina Turner strutting her stuff, along with some you most definitely would have expected, like Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Bill Graham explaining to the Beach Boys manager "Your band is late", Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, John Sebastian, Crosby, Stills & Nash, etc...

At almost 200 pages of mainly photographs (following a short intro by Robert Altman and a short article by acclaimed Rolling Stone magazine editor Ben Fong-Torres) you are clearly getting your money's worth here.

Many books about the Sixties fall a long way short. This one, as a photo document capturing a time I wish I had been around to witness, ranks up there with the best. Highly recommended!

Walking Through Clear Water in a Pool Painted Black (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
by Cookie Mueller

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 April 2005
I picked up a copy of this in a charity shop in Hove, sat down this afternoon to start reading it, and ended up reading all the way through in one sitting. I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about Cookie before buying this, and now I'm keen to find out much much more. She has such a straightforward way with words and describes all the events of her life in such a direct manner that you'd be surprised at how much love shines through in all that she wrote. Buy it and be amazed!

Muse - Hullabaloo [DTS] [DVD] [2003]
Muse - Hullabaloo [DTS] [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Muse
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars is not enough, this release deserves 5,000!, 8 Aug. 2002
I've never considered myself a huge Muse fan, although I've always loved their singles... But after seeing this DVD, I'm converted!!!
My friend lent me his copy on Monday, I watched it and was blown away - I've never seen ANY gig as amazing as this. The performance is simply out of this world, I sat there totally glued to the screen for the whole performance.
Anyway, I gave him back the DVD Tuesday morning, ordered my own copy here on Tuesday evening, got home from work today (Thursday) and it was waiting for me. I've watched it twice tonight already - it's THAT good, honestly!
The documentary is also fantastic, although the camera work is extremely dodgy! The Slipknot sequence will go down in comedy history!!
At one point during the main concert footage, the camera focuses in on a fan with a banner saying "You put the heart and soul into rock and roll" - that says it all.
If you're a die-hard fan you'll have this already. If you're a fan of their singles, buy this, be converted like I was, then go and buy all available Muse product!
Words cannot describe adequately how this DVD made me feel... I hope the few I've typed give you an idea though :)

Pink Hearts Yellow Moons
Pink Hearts Yellow Moons
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Dressy Bessy rule, 31 July 2002
Sure, it's twee as hell, but if you like twee then you'll love this! My favourite track is "You Stand Here", but all of them are good!

"Blur" Visual Documentary (Illustrated Biography)
"Blur" Visual Documentary (Illustrated Biography)
by Linda Holorny

2.0 out of 5 stars nice pictures, shame about the text..., 31 July 2002
If you're looking for a book containing lots of fantastic pictures of Blur, individual shots and band shots, then snap this up today.
If you're looking for an informative history of Blur, I suggest you get 3862 Days.
Blur: An Illustrated Biography is poorly researched, with simple errors and major errors strolling around like they own the place.
The two stars are for the pictures only. If you've got the money to spare, buy it by all means, but if you know anything about Blur then you'll see how bad this book is!

Page: 1 | 2