Profile for nikki_and_the_fishies > Reviews

Mind Elevation
Mind Elevation
Offered by Music-Finder

4.0 out of 5 stars Still intrigued!, 24 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Mind Elevation (Audio CD)
Nightmares on Wax have always produced a sound that intrigues me. Whilst usually found in the dance section of music shops, I've found them in hip hop before(!) and I love the way the soul, jazz and dub shine through making NOW a truly unique listening experience.
Mind Elevation is a pleasing offering to follow on from their last album Car Boot Soul. Some of the tracks are spot on, and it's undoubtedly that NOW vibe, even though Mind Elevation is definitely different to, and a progression from, Car Boot Soul (unsurprisingly!)
As ever NOW can be listened to in so many environments - it's a great album to listen to on a personal stereo with enough going on to keep your interest, terrific played when you just wanna chill, and yet still great to do just as it's title suggests -elevate the mind and really lift the spirit!
I loved 'Thinking of Omara', '70s, 80's', 'Environment' and in a more mainstream sounding way, 'Know My Name'. The slight reservation I have on this album that has led to me rating 4 stars and not 5, is that when the music is on form it really is an experience, but there are a few tracks (Date with Destiny in particular) where I was left feeling it didn't quite live up to NOW. That's quite gutting when the potential is seriously there.
Having said that, it's one of the best albums I've purchased this year, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Nightmares on Wax have certainly still got my intrigue and interest for some time to come.