Profile for Mrs. Amanda J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Amanda J....

Mrs. Amanda J. Smith (UK)

Knowledge Waits
Knowledge Waits

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wilt Alternative, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Knowledge Waits (Kindle Edition)
Knowledge Waits is the latest in a long line of school-based fiction which stretches back to Nicholas Nickleby, Tom Brown's Schooldays and beyond. James Goddard draws on a lifetime at the sharp end of teaching in colleges and his work is most reminiscent of Tom Sharpe's Wilt masterpieces, but with slightly fewer catastrophes and less smut (alas). His focus is on the relationships between staff and management in a rather low-rent private school and one of the great strengths of Goddard's fiction is his mastery of widely divergent voices. The narrative 'I' switches from one teacher or manager to another and we gradually piece together the network of petty jealousies and frustrations that bind the school together. Overall, it is a great advert for keeping your hand in your pocket and opting for a free state education. Gradually, we grow to like some of these institutionalised characters and to care about their predicament. Knowlege waits but the final pages deliver a satisfying denoument. Please do read this book and enable the author to retire to the Bahamas.

Loving Rebecca (The Loving Trilogy Book 1)
Loving Rebecca (The Loving Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 23 Oct. 2012
i thought this story was not bad but could have been hugely improved by some careful editing and proof reading.

Cursive
Cursive

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Cursive (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from the first page - wonderful descriptions about parts of the world I will never reach, and I loved the 'then' and 'now' narratives going hand in hand through the book. Beautifully written and highly recommended.

Drawn to Stitch
Drawn to Stitch
by Gwen Hedley

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for any textile artist, 19 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Drawn to Stitch (Hardcover)
I am really enjoying this book, particularly the insights into other artists, not just the author, and their work. The photos are beautiful and the work incredibly inspiring.

The Found Object in Textile Art
The Found Object in Textile Art
by Cas Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 19 Nov. 2010
I've seen Cas Holmes' work before but not a book by her. This is a must! I found it so inspiring it has lived beside me for the past week and I have dipped in and out of it. She has really helped me get started with textiles again. Thank you

Collage Unleashed: Paint, Bind, Stitch, Play
Collage Unleashed: Paint, Bind, Stitch, Play
by Traci Bautista

5.0 out of 5 stars Collage Unleashed, 4 Jan. 2010
I bought this some time ago and it has really changed the way I work in textiles - I read it from cover to cover and found it fascinating. If I was to criticise it is that the type face can be tricky to read at times but it's quirky and the subject matter is a little quirky too.

Scrap Quilt Sensation
Scrap Quilt Sensation
by Katharine Guerrier

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrap Quilt Sensation, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Scrap Quilt Sensation (Paperback)
This book has been a godsend - straightforward information, lovely pictures, full of information and inspiration. I'm on my 4th quilt already! Recommend it highly to beginners and those with more experience. I rushed to sort all my scraps into lights and darks and whenever I go to the fabric shop now I look at colours with a more discerning eye.