Profile for Nettie Thomson > Reviews

Content by Nettie Thomson

Nettie Thomson "Writer, photographer, poodle-wrangler" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Fire Child
The Fire Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me., 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Fire Child (Kindle Edition)
I loved The Ice Twins and was excited to read The Fire Child. Sadly, I was unable to finish it. It reads like a rip off of de Maurier's Rebecca and it's lead character is a woman who dropped her own life for a man she hardly knew because he was rich, had a huge mansion and a cute kid. I found her love of the 'good life' abhorrent and had no desire to read further. It is competently written and I know that there is a market there for this type of fiction. Sadly, not for me.

The Anchoress
The Anchoress

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 25 May 2016
This review is from: The Anchoress (Kindle Edition)
A book with a great sense of time and place, the author manages to make the confines of the Anchoress' cell hold the world within as much as it keeps it out.

200 Gluten-Free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Gluten-Free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Louise Blair

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for baking., 25 May 2016
I have made a handful of recipes from this book and have to say I'm quite disappointed. The lemon and raspberry cupcakes are fine. The lemon drizzle cake takes twice as long to bake as stated and I've just had a go at the choc chip and pistachio shortbread. I ended up having to add an extra 40g of melted butter as the mixture resembled the rubbed butter/flour mix of scones or crumble. It's cooling in the tin now, but I'm not very hopeful. I'm on the lookout for a better baking book. I have to admit I haven't tried the non-baking recipes as making gf meals is not a challenge, unlike baking.

The Anatomist's Dream
The Anatomist's Dream

2.0 out of 5 stars Much like Perfume, I found the style too forced and ..., 24 May 2016
It may be me, but I wasn't able to finish this book. Much like Perfume, I found the style too forced and impressed with itself.

The King James Bible
The King James Bible

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 24 May 2016
Hokum.

The Haunting of Emily Stone
The Haunting of Emily Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Good., 24 May 2016
Competent horror with some similarities to The Enfield Haunting. I enjoyed this book.

The Portable Veblen: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016
The Portable Veblen: Shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction 2016

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and magical with added squirrel!, 24 May 2016
I loved this book. Whimsical and magical with added squirrel! What's not to love?

The authors voice is unique and I immediately loved the main character. A critique in Big Pharma was not what I expected from the tone and I loved that the author mixed the kooky with the tech so successfully. There are a few similarities to Eugnides' The Marriage Plot, but let's not worry about those (I found TMP characters to be self absorbed and boring in comparison). I sincerely hope this wins the Bailey's.

Gigaset C430A Cordless Phone with Answering Machine and Anonymous Call Silencing (Pack of 2)
Offered by liGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice phones., 7 May 2016
Nice phones, smart looking, good sound quality. I bought these after intensive research and I have no complaints thus far.

1 X ICE CUBE TRAY WITH LID AND EASY TO POUR SECTION SO NO MORE SPILLING
1 X ICE CUBE TRAY WITH LID AND EASY TO POUR SECTION SO NO MORE SPILLING
Offered by Jas Household Suppliers Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an ice cube tray., 7 May 2016
Does what it's supposed to.

TTfone Star Big Button Simple Easy to Use Clamshell Flip SIM-Free Mobile Phone - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my mother, 7 May 2016
I bought this phone for my elderly mother who is in a care home. The staff have to help her use it, but that is no reflection on the phone. My mother has dementia. The phone seemed nice and the buttons were very large. I'm sure it's an excellent phone. I am just relieved to have a way of calling mum.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20