Profile for RobAllan > Reviews

RobAllan

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Mage: Awakening
The Mage: Awakening

5.0 out of 5 stars The emotional content is a bit of a roller coaster but it's matched with good description and superior characterisation, 23 Mar. 2016
The plot of this book is becoming a standard in Fantasy fiction so why does it rate 5 stars. It's the quality of the writing. The emotional content is a bit of a roller coaster but it's matched with good description and superior characterisation. All of the characters feel like real people trying to make sense of difficult circumstances. Well worth a read.

Ancient (Thaumatology Book 8)
Ancient (Thaumatology Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wizards and werewolves in London, 14 Nov. 2013
This is easy read fantasy with a good cast of characters. The one weakness, and it's throughout the series, is too much sex. It's seems strange to say this but the constant descriptions of sexual activity of the characters got in the way of some quite good stories. The stories are set in an alternative modern day London with occasional trips out to other parts. Much is familiar but with the addition of a full lexicon of werewolves, vampires, demons etc. They all manage to live together with outbreaks of trouble that form the nubs of the plots.

The Necromancer's Nephew (The Songreaver's Tale series Book 1)
The Necromancer's Nephew (The Songreaver's Tale series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Shows promise, 14 Nov. 2013
The story for me was almost lost in the irritation of discovering that it finished in the middle of an escape. Yes the price is low but I'd rather pay a bit more for a complete story. This book has been truncated at what feels like a random point in the story. It's silly to feel conned when I paid so little but I do. Back at the Tale the writing is OK, the characters have a bit of variety and it may yet prove to be a good new fantasy. I've decided to read on so I'll find out.

Chaos Quarter
Chaos Quarter

4.0 out of 5 stars Light space opera, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Chaos Quarter (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this. The plot moves along at a good pace. The main character has a sense of humour and the chaotic nature of the human diaspora leaves plenty of room for all sorts of civilisations. I will definitely read the next book.

To Honor You Call Us (Man of War Book 1)
To Honor You Call Us (Man of War Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Space Opera, 18 Feb. 2013
This is good quality stuff. Yes, there is a lot of building up the back story and developing the ship a crew. But this gives the book depth. The characters are for more fleshed out than usual for this genre and there are multiple historical references, it makes for a satisfying read. I was astonished to note that it's the authors first book. I'm impressed and look forward to reading more, you're definitely following in the footsteps of your heroes and will get there. Looking forward to giving 5 stars next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2013 4:25 AM GMT

Lieutenant (An Ell Donsaii story #3)
Lieutenant (An Ell Donsaii story #3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Where will my new tech take me?, 6 Nov. 2012
This is excellent technical SciFi wrapped around a light entertaining story line. The Author takes a scientific advance and considers what the effects and uses might be. The same is done in the first book with a single genetic mutation. This is done extremely well and I found myself wondering why I hadn't seen the possibilities myself. I've read the five books currently available and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to more.

Wizard's World
Wizard's World

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, 27 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Wizard's World (Kindle Edition)
Let me clarify that I think the title here is misleading. This is Science Fiction with psychic powers rather than Fantasy. I enjoyed the explanation for the powers and the characterization. I found some of the "Wizards" morality to be odd. They were generally quite happy to train apprentices who would probably murder them at a later date. The story took a number of unexpected twists and, despite moments when I questioned what characters did, I enjoyed the journey and hope there will be a sequel.

The Emperor's Shadow War (The High King: A Tale of Alus Book 2)
The Emperor's Shadow War (The High King: A Tale of Alus Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A long read, 27 Aug. 2012
I bought this after reading Battlemage which deservedly rated 5 stars. This was more difficult to read because for long periods the story jumped from one character to the other. While the storyline and writing were good the whole thing seemed to get bogged down for a while in the middle. Our heroes both journey at the behest of seers who hint that what they do will eventually lead to the downfall of the Dark Wizard who has almost won one world and is looking to invade their own. They each learn their own powers, gain allies and eventually win through. A good story which would win an extra star with a bit more editing. This author joins the list of those I will continue to read.

The Anathema (The Central Series Book 2)
The Anathema (The Central Series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost or setting up, 9 July 2012
I agree with the only other review here at present. Somewhere between 2 and 3 stars so mine brings the current average to 2.5. The story is quite readable which is unusual for one following so many disparate characters. My main gripe in the end was the lack of redeeming features for any of the competing groups. Our hero is being trained to kill to keep his faction in power. Even he alludes to the fact that they're all parasites in one way or another. I'll probably read the next in the hope that this book is a set up for the next and someone will show signs of a conscience.

Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle Book 1)
Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 26 April 2012
This has been a relaxing read. The quality of writing is good. The world isn't about to end if our hero gets it wrong and it's refreshingly free of battles and swordplay. When our hero gets irritated he tends to leave the bad guy embarrassed but unhurt. I've enjoyed it enough that I've immediately bought the sequel. Only problem is it's hard to put down and get on with the things I should be doing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3