Profile for GemG80 > Reviews

GemG80

Mariana
Mariana

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
I bought this based on the reviews and I wasn't disappointed. It really drew me in, which is a right pain as I ended up staying up late a couple of nights in a row to read it! There's a couple of points at the end where you think 'huh?' that continuity doesn't quite fit but it doesn't matter overly much.

The "Reader's Digest" Complete Guide to Sewing
The "Reader's Digest" Complete Guide to Sewing
by Reader'sDigest

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 25 April 2011
I think this is a great reference book for beginners and more advanced sewists. The majority is for dressmaking but it also includes quilting and patchwork. it covers pattern fitting and basic alterations, and near the end there's a section on tailoring techniques.

I particularly like the section about different fabrics. Over 8 pages it gives a brief intro into different types of fabric. There are specialist books out there and I have Claire Shaeffer's but I find them a bit overwhelming for beginners. This tells you just enough to know what you're looking for and why.

There are 20 'projects' in there but they're a bit of a swizz because many of them need a Simplicity pattern as well.

Illustrations are nearly all through line drawings but they are pretty clear.

Sections are as follows. I've listed the subsections I think you might find interesting but not all of them because there are too many and I'm too lazy!:

Sewing equipment and fabrics
- inc washing care symbols
Cutting
- inc fabric widths, reading a pattern, pattern alterations
Stitches and seams
- inc hand and machine sewing, seam finishes
Neckline finishes and collars
- inc facings
Waistlines and belts
- inc casings and joinings
Sleeves and sleeve finishes
Pockets
Hems
- inc decorative and faced finishes
Fastenings
- inc zips and buttonholes
Tailoring
Patchwork and quilting

Do's and Taboos Around The World, 3rd Edition
Do's and Taboos Around The World, 3rd Edition
by Roger E. Axtell

2.0 out of 5 stars There must be better available, 5 Sept. 2010
There are a few good nuggets of information here but overall I think there must be better books to spend your money on. Several of the comments about the UK are wrong - liqueurs are apparently known as cordial and all toilets are called WCs but no mention of the word loo - so one has to assume comments about other countries are too. The author makes extensive references to other works - Managing across cultures, stuff by Edward T Hall, and even Kiss, Bow or Shake hands, which I would have thought was a competitor, so you may as well just buy one of those instead. He makes so many references to his former employer and his other works it feels like an advert (no doubt because that's what the first edition was written for). It's written from an American's point of view, which is not in itself a problem, it's good to know how they see things, but it assumes absolutely no knowledge of the outside world at all, which I think (hope) is very rare in Europe. If you're 18 and travelling alone for the first time it may be of some use but otherwise if you are aware that cultural differences exist this book won't be a great help. The section on women in international business is condescending - eg, make sure you pack your baggage so you can get it in the overhead lockers by yourself (!?!) - if you're responsible enough to travel for business one would rather hope you know how to pack your case by yourself. And the section on the internet is extremely outdated. The entire end section is relevant to only a small minority looking to export their products, and even then all the recommended resources are in the US.
I'd recommend looking for something more up-to-date

Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments
Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 7 July 2010
As a complete beginner to epilating, this is a good introduction. I am quite sure using it in the shower hurt less than it would have dry. Now I have got the hang of it though I use it dry as I think it grips better.

I don't think it really gets hair as short as a grain of sand as advertised, although that could be because I have quite fine hair. I find I do need to go over the same bits again and again so I now epilate about once a week to catch the strays. I rarely manage to get my legs perfectly smooth but it's so much more convenient than having to wait weeks and get to a salon for waxing and better value. I'm hoping once I've got all the hairs at least once they'll start growing back more slowly. I don't think I'll go back to waxing. I get slightly more ingrown hairs but an exfoliating body lotion like Palmers with AHA sorts that out.

The bright light on the front is inspired.

If you're new to epilating, I would say getting a wet and dry is well worth it. However unless you really really want the shaver attachment I wouldn't recommend buying this top model, I'd get the next model down. I don't think the additional cost justifies the small extras. And if you're an experienced epilator user I would suggest trying other manufacturers' models that have more tweezers to get smoother legs quicker.

BIG BUT
I have found one major flaw with this shaver - after only a few uses (having charged it correctly) my unit's battery light starts flashing within minutes of starting use - it is supposed to last 40 minutes. I will be returning mine. If you do buy one make sure you keep the receipt.