Profile for Ben Rochey-Adams > Reviews

USB Mini Desktop Power PC Laptop Fan Desk Table MAC by BuyinCoins
USB Mini Desktop Power PC Laptop Fan Desk Table MAC by BuyinCoins
Offered by Fasun

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Fix to an Expensive Problem, 6 Jun. 2013
I bought a 2TB Time Capsule for my iMac but noticed that it was getting quite hot. Online research revealed that they are prone to overheating and if that happens outside of the warranty period, that's more than £200 down the drain. So I bought this USB fan to point directly at the Time Capsule, and it keeps the temperature down very effectively. It's quiet, not silent, and as it's powered via a USB slot, it doesn't use up a valuable space in the plug extension lead. It powers down when the iMac goes into idle mode and has its own on/off switch. A good little purchase and a cheap way to avoid a potentially expensive problem.

Apple 2TB Time Capsule 4th Generation
Apple 2TB Time Capsule 4th Generation

3.0 out of 5 stars Prone to overheating - so buy a USB fan, too, 6 Jun. 2013
I bought the Time Capsule as a file storage device. Since then, I have learned the error of my ways - you are supposed to use it as back-up to your main file storage and as a wireless router. But it does the job for now, until I decide to purchase a separate drive and back that up to the Time Capsule.

I noticed that the top surface of the device was quite hot, and online research revealed several reports of the Time Capsule overheating and malfunctioning after about 18 months - which would be just out of warranty. So I have bought a separate USB fan from Amazon for less than a tenner. It takes up a USB slot in the back of the iMac but more importantly, it doesn't take up a precious space in the plug extension lead on the floor. It's made of plastic and is small enough to sit on the desk behind my computer, pointed directly at the Time Capsule and it does keep the temperature down very effectively. It makes a low buzzing sound but it's constant and not intrusive and is certainly drowned out when I play any music or films etc and also emits a smooth breeze onto me while I'm at my desk. When the computer powers down into idle mode, the fan does likewise and then starts up again when you activate the screen. It also has its own on/off switch.

So if you're going to buy a Time Capsule, I would recommend a USB fan, too. basicXL Noiseless USB Desktop Fan

Roy of the Rovers Volume 1 (Roy of the Rovers Comics)
Roy of the Rovers Volume 1 (Roy of the Rovers Comics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Soccer, 31 May 2013
Roy Race makes Messi look like a chump... and he has better hair than Cristiano Ronaldo! Blackie Gray, Duncan McKay, Charlie 'The Cat' Carter - jumpers for goalposts, what! And Penny Race, the original WAG (and still the best).

My only gripe is that the navigation through the fomic when viewed on a smartphone is clunky and it's easy to move too far forward or backward accidentally. There are comic book apps from the likes of DC Comics and Marvel that have already overcome this problem, with each panel sliding in to replace the last and zooming in and out for a more dynamic reader experience, so it would be great way to view a Racey Rocket!

Desk 60mm Dia Grommet Cable Cord Hole Cover Black 3 Pcs
Desk 60mm Dia Grommet Cable Cord Hole Cover Black 3 Pcs
Offered by Fly Service

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job, 27 May 2013
I have a black pine corner workstation desk, which my iMac sits on. There is a 6mm hole in the desk, with its own grommet, for the cables to pass through. By getting a mate to drill a similar hole into the flat board that sits above the computer, I was able to place my iPod speaker on top of the unit with the cable passing through both the desk and the top panel. Likewise the recharging lead for my Kindle. My mate superglued two of these grommets into the hole, to prevent the cables from fraying the exposed wood. The computer obscures the cables so it all looks neat and tidy, and I can now listen to my iPod through its speaker while I work - which gives a better sound than playing directly from iTunes on the computer. So the grommets are doing exactly the job I wanted them to do.

NIX Pro Series 12-Inch Digital Picture Frame, Motion Sensor turns the frame ON/OFF automatically when it senses you nearby! 2GB Memory

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy to Use Crowd Pleaser, 16 May 2013
This digital picture frame cost me about £100, but it has proved to be good value. All you have to do is load up a decent capacity USB stick with your favourite photos on your computer, then slot the USB into the picture frame, select your slideshow settings and re-orientate any images that are the wrong way round. When you have new photos to add, just load them onto the same USB and shove it back in - very easy. I have it display the images in random order, each for about 10 seconds with a simple black fade between them. My brother lives in Switzerland with his wife and very young son, so the NIX Pro is our family album, positioned in my parents' kitchen next to the dining table where they can enjoy it on their own or show off to dinner guests.