Profile for Ms. C. M. Hough > Reviews

Content by Ms. C. M. Hough

Ms. C. M. Hough "ziggy1234" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
by Dorothy L Sayers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!!!!, 17 Mar. 2013
I have read thousands upon thousands of Crime Fiction Books and Dorothy L Sayers will remain my absolute favourite author of all time. With a brilliant cast of characters, absolutely cunning plots incorporating history and time. I just love love love them all.

Nine Tailors is tale of stolen jewels, faceless corpses and bell-ringing set in the atmospheric fens of Sayers's childhood, is the best of all the Wimsey stories.

I cant quite put my finger on what makes her stories so incredible. I read them 20 years ago and have recently re-read them all, and reading them with my mature head instead of my teenage head was a big eye opener. I loved them even more! and appreciated Peter Wimseys strength of character and his demons which are his war memories and his devotion to the two ladies in his life, his mother and Harriet. I just Love DLS and I truly wish she wrote more.

Red Mist: Scarpetta 19
Red Mist: Scarpetta 19
by Patricia Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story with a good plot... but not brilliant!, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Red Mist: Scarpetta 19 (Paperback)
I have been reading Patricia Cornwell books for years and have loved most of them. This story entails the usual characters of friends family and enemies and I think this is my problem the last few books have all been centered around scarpetta and her 'family' who are constantly in danger from the usual enemies.

It would be nice to have NEW stories incorporating murder and mystery that gets solved and they move on to the next instead of raking over the same ground.

Having said all that I do enjoy her stories and the writing is good enough to keep me reading; so not too many complaints.

Beyond The Golden Compass - The Magic Of Philip Pullman [2007] [DVD]
Beyond The Golden Compass - The Magic Of Philip Pullman [2007] [DVD]
Offered by mrtopseller

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Clear what you are buying, 21 Jan. 2013
Having watched the golden compass I mistakingly bought this thinking it was a follow-up. Actually its a documentary about the making of the golden compass and I have since learned that a follow up will not in fact be made.

Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Favourite...... Well worth the purchase, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my 7 year old daughter who finds Mirander hilarious and often replays her favourite parts over and over. Its been a while since we had a sitcom that actually makes all of us laugh.

JVC HA-KD10-P Tiny Headphones for Kids - Pink
JVC HA-KD10-P Tiny Headphones for Kids - Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Really comfortable... although the sound limiter is cumbersome, 11 Jan. 2013
We bought these headphones because we wanted a sound limiter for my daughters ipod. Little did we know that IPOD already have a feature in place where you can set the maximum sound levels. Had I known this upfront I would have bought the cheaper headphones without the limiter.

The attached limiter required an triple a battery which makes it quite heavy.

Having said all this my daughter is v happy with them, they are pink and comfy so I'm not too unhappy.

Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Digital TV Recorder
Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Digital TV Recorder

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good... not that impressive though., 21 Nov. 2012
If you already own a Humax PVR and are upgrading to the Humax 'You View box', you may be disapointed with the difference between the two boxes.

Whats brilliant about 'You View' Humax?

1. The Iplayer Chanels are available directly through your 'You View Box', On Demand Five, All the C4 Channels and all the BBC and ITV Channels and some NOW TV channels are available at a cost. I have quite a slow broadband speed so I was a little worried at first, but I have to admit there have been no streaming problems. You can search for programmes by category or by channel.

2. 1 TB of space is a big improvemnt on my old Humax.

3. You are no longer limited in the number of series links you can make. With my old PVR you were limited to just 25.

What comparable features are missing on the You View compared to my old Humax PVR

1. You can no longer search for current TV programmes with the Find feature which makes it laboriously long winded finding the programmes you want to record. The search feature is only available for the Iplayer channels

2. Quite alot of the Humax PVR functionality is no longer available on the new 'You View' Box... to many to list but perhaps the most annoying is the Channel Sort Function where you remove all the shopping channels and sort the list of channels to your satisfaction ie., putting all the ITV, C4 and Five Channels together.

If I were to sum up the 'You View' Humax PVR I would say that all the effort has been put into developing the Iplayer side at the cost of the functionality on the TV side.

Finally the cost of our 'You View' £299 is comparable to the cost of One Years Standard Sky TV package which is something to consider when you think about the rate of technology. Will we be investing another large sum in a new improved version a couple of years down the road?

Have there been any problems?

We have only had our 'You View' box for about 1 month so it may be too early to say but so far:

1. Channel 5, and ITV channels sometimes drop out of my list of channels and the only way to add the missing channels is to completely re-tune which is a very long winded affair as it takes a long while to retune. So far this has happened twice. You may argue that it is to do with signal strength or other such reasons but it never happened with my old Humax PVR.

2. It is extremely easy to accidentally stop a recording when you are recording 2 channels at the same time. Again this has happened quite a few times, especially with my young daughter at the controlls.

Overall I am satisfied with my 'You View' Box but Im not 'Blown Away'.

Learning Resources Money Bags Coin Value Game
Learning Resources Money Bags Coin Value Game
Offered by Just Childsplay

2.0 out of 5 stars A good educational toy but a disapointing game, 12 Sept. 2012
Moneybags is a game to teach your child about coins. I bought this for my daughters 6th birthday, she already knew her coins from 1p to £1 but I assumed that it would be a great game to re-inforce the value of money and the many different ways you can reach the same amount of money.

Unfortunately the idea of the game is completely boring and did not motivate my daughter to become involved. Basically you move around the board and follow the instructions on the board i.e., buy a goldfish for 11p you spin the dial and it may say "You are not allowed to use 10ps".

If you are 6 as my daughter is you will find it all rather dull and boring and extremely simple. In addition there is little in the way of an added element of surprise or fun and my daughter has played this once and not again since. If your child is younger, maybe reception age, she may enjoy it but otherwise I would stear clear. If you bought your child a toy till when they were younger, write out a shopping list and price list, label up her dollies and toy food and play shops, much more fun.

Learning Resources Sum Swamp Addition & Subtraction Game
Learning Resources Sum Swamp Addition & Subtraction Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof that Education can be Fun, 12 Sept. 2012
My 5 year old daughter loves this game. Its perfect for any child who is learning to add and take away. Each piece is a lovely moulded creature of the swamp, there are shortcuts, endless loops and many other bonus squares. Most of all they will learn to:

1) add and take away any number from 0 to 12
2) recognise the + or -
3) learn about odd or even
4) learn about counting forwards and backwards
5) As time goes on these will also learn to add and take-away very quickly (without fingers)

This game has won endless awards and if you buy any maths learning toy, make it this one. Out of all our educational board games this is by far a favourite in our house.

National Geographic Kids Beginner's World Atlas, 3rd Edition (Atlas )
National Geographic Kids Beginner's World Atlas, 3rd Edition (Atlas )
by National Geographic

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant, 31 July 2012
If your child is in Reception Year + this book is a must for your shelf. Part of their curriculum has been to learn about the world around them. Not many Atlas books are written in an interesting way for children, so it took me a while to find this one. My daughter loves this book and its made many a journey into school. There are interesting facts about each continent and country and plenty of pictures and illustrations. I highly recommend this as an interesting educational learning tool and because its a large hardback book my daughter loves to handle it with care and she spends many an hour reminding me of all the interesting facts and she also likes to find the countries in the atlas on her globe. Cant recommend it highly enough. Actually the images shown for this book do not do it justice.

Omron Walking Style Pro Pedometer
Omron Walking Style Pro Pedometer

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine was faulty after 3 months - cant return after 30 days, 26 July 2012
I bought my pedometer in December 30th 2011 and by April 2nd 2012 it was broke and would not work. It kept flashing like it had ran out of batteries but when I replaced them the same happened.

DID YOU KNOIW that With Amazon you CANNOT return after 30 days. Next time I will get mine from a shop where you get a receipt and take it back when its faulty and not fit for purpose.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 2:21 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9